Airedales

• Gold Top Dog

Airedales

learned something new, so my day wasnt totally waisted lol

i didnt know there were different types.. found out accidentally while looking around the hunting forum.. it seems there is some controversy and maybe a bit of mud slinging on both sides.... but i dont know enough about the breed to say one way or another. i just like the idea that many of these dogs are still doing their jobs .. and not just prancing round a show ring or lining someone's pockets at a pet store.

Redline Airedales
    Quote from the above website:

"Take a look at the "redline" coat a minute.  Here's what the Airedale Standard says about coats: 

"Should be hard, dense, and wiry, lying straight and close, covering the dog well over the body and legs.  Some of the hardest are crinkling or just slightly waved.  At the base of the hard very stiff hair should be a shorter growth of softer hair termed the “undercoat."

That's all it says.  Not a word about long flowing beards and pillow-like fluffed-out leg furnishings.  In my mind there is no question about it.

The "redline" type Airedale has a coat much closer to the Airedale Standard than the modern show line dog does.  Sure, some show line dogs have excellent coats.  But a lot of what looks like a good coat on the modern show dog is just the product of cosmetic doctoring and if you breed to that dog there is a good chance you will not get a good natural Airedale coat."

http://www.texterterriers.com/cgi/airedale_info.php
    Quote from the above website:
    There are a few other “variant” forms of “Airedale”. There is a "redline" strain of short haired Airedale, “black Airedale”, and even red Airedale. Most of these variations have only one or two significant advocates and are of minor significance in the breed. Occasionally, a different pup will appear in a litter even of well bred dogs. It will grow bigger than average or have less coat or have more black or less black than average. (It would be genetically extraordinary for a whole litter to have some unique trait that had not been previously selected for.) If you select those different pups to continue breeding, you will see more of those traits in subsequent litters. However, if you continue to pick atypical traits, at some point you have very large, short coated, black dogs and they are not Airedale. They are a new breed. In the case of “black Airedale”, they are not eligible for AKC registration. The national breed club has a standard that describes what an Airedale is and quality breeders tend to try to select for traits consistent with that description and de-emphasize dogs that fail to adhere to the standard.
    Like most Airedale breeders, Texter Kennel breeds to the national standard for the breed. 

seems to me that the two different camps are mainly hunters and kennel clubs.

All i know is my grandad had a black airedale when he was a teen ager (back in the 30s/40s) and this dog could do anything.. point, tree, track, retrieve.... of course this was back before i had internet.. i never really bothered to look up anything about this breed and i always figured that Blacky  was probably just some beared mutt... but low and behold there is indeed a black strain.. and a red one, and a smooth one.. and a rough one...

According to this site - http://www.hkairedales.com/index.htm

the black ones have been dated back to WW1.. mainly used as night time messenger dogs for obvious reasons.

seems that the only people who care about the looks are the ones who breed for show. i've been mildly intrigued by them - from a sporting perspective - and i still am.. especially since this evening.

i'm not making my mind up either way as to which one is the proper terrier.... i just felt like sharing what i found Big Smile  i'm also not advocating anyone buying a redline, solid red or solid black airedale unless they want to do some serious hunting and catch work or send secret messages to their friends at night...  Wink i'm still perfectly happy with my bullies!

so... feel free to discuss or ignore Cool

• Gold Top Dog

Lex's mom is an Airedale and she was accidentally breed with a pit bull. She produced only solid black or red pups. I didnt even know about black Airedales until I did a little research and found the black ones have brownish/red muzzles and white gristling. Lex has both. In fact if he had a docked tail he looks just like one. I forwarded the website to his moms owners and they found it interesting.

Scroll down some and it tells some about it. 

http://www.tenkillerairedales.com/

• Gold Top Dog

from the website http://www.tenkillerairedales.com/

Because there is becoming a greater demand for the large and extra-large Airedale Terrier, there is somewhat of a departure in preference from the standard “AKC” sizing today.   Today there are actually “3” sizes of Airedales on the market. The “AKC” standard size is 45 – 58 pounds and approximately 23 inches in height to the withers.  The large size today is 60 – 75 pounds and approximately 24-26 inches in height to the withers.  The extra-large is 80 – 100 plus pounds, and 26 – 29 inches or above in height to the withers.

i didnt know they were quite that large either, wow

• Gold Top Dog

I know...100 pounds! I guess that is what the people want though.

Heres the picture of lex with the reddish/brown hair around his muzzle -  

• Gold Top Dog

i suppose so, but at what point does it stop being an airedale and starts being a bearded doberman???  

Lex is a handsome fella too Big Smile is that his natural coat or his he trimmed up? i know the showy types are furrier.. but did he inherit the mom's coat or more of the dad's?

lol also noticed that tail is a black blue!! 

• Gold Top Dog

Thats his natural coat we don't get him trimmed, I prefer the scruffyness. He definitely has the Airedale coat, coarse and wiry.