What breed is this shelter dog?

• Gold Top Dog

What breed is this shelter dog?

I'll tell you later what they call her, and she very well might be, I'm just curious if you guys see it, if that's what she actually is. Her litter's up for adoption, and BOY are they cute.. I'll post the picture of them in a bit too.

• Gold Top Dog

I can see Jindo or Chow X more likely...some might even want to say Dingo as if that's a breed as opposed to a subspecies lol.

• Gold Top Dog

Wow, great minds think alike--I was guessing the same mix!

Another possibilty MIGHT be GSD/Basenji?  The face looks a  lot like a Basenji's would.

• Gold Top Dog

i agree, looks like a basenji face. 

• Gold Top Dog

I'd say Basenji/Smooth Chow mix.  The tail makes me think there is something else thrown in there, too.  It kind of reminds me of a GSD tail.

• Gold Top Dog

Something Japanese or Korean, like Jindo, Hokkaido, Kishu Ken....  I don't really see Basenji and don't see any GSD.... 

• Gold Top Dog

I backtracked from the petharbor link in the pic and they have her listed as a Jindo. I'd buy it...

http://www.korean-jindo-dogs.com/

• Gold Top Dog

rwbeagles
    I backtracked from the petharbor link in the pic and they have her listed as a Jindo. I'd buy it...

Cheater! lol. Yeah, they call her a Jindo, and her pups Jindo mixes. I was wondering if maybe they actually KNOW she's a Jindo, because it seems strange to guess purebred Jindo for a dog that could be a mix of other breeds. I thought Jindos have curly tails? Which she just doesn't...

Anyway, here's her puppies.

Are they cute or what?? They look pretty chowish to me, but puppies look so different before 8 weeks than they do as adults, so who knows. Guess the only way to know would be to get one...all in the name of mutt-research, right? Big Smile I'm really tempted, but I'm extra broke at the moment...darn Christmas.

• Gold Top Dog

Nah their tails can do any number of things, really. Being that you are on the coast...west coast I'd buy PB Jindo. There is a population there more so than in say the middle of the USA. I saw quite a few Jindo type dogs at petharbor in LA....so there's likely some idiot breeding them and placing them irresponsibly.

The pups don't look like anything other than Jindo to me. Way too consistent to be otherwise.

Oh and I checked after I guessed...so not cheating...just checking...lol.

• Gold Top Dog

I'd have said Dingo too, but don't really think she is.  Jindo or Carolina dog came to mind too.

http://www.carolinadogs.org/logan.html

• Gold Top Dog
    I was going to say Carolina mix but looking back at the pic she doesnt have much of a Carolina dog build. Dingo is another guess lol but they are very rare as pets in the US. She looks pure Jindo to me.
    • Gold Top Dog

This is really far fetched and highly unlikely but she looks alot like a New guinea singing dog.

• Gold Top Dog

looks like a natural dog to me.. or Carolina dog.. OR chow/collie/lab/shepherd or... a natural dog.

Jindo's do have curly tails and .. some dont lol so no help there!!

i THOUGHT they used to be fairly rare but i think they are gaining more and more popularity.
    http://www.kang.org/Jrp58.html 

i first heard about them back in 2000 from Carl Semencic's book Gladiator Dogs(which funnily enough has no copyright date! so i dont know how old his info is) i believe they were fighting and hunting dogs.... and were also mixed with pit bull because that was what won the fights. they have stopped with mixing and were trying to breed pure.. last i heard anyway. 

http://www.kang.org/Jfac.html 

i guess its possible for her to be anything. i love those pups.. i want one of my own, they look like a dog i had as a kid :P 

• Gold Top Dog

To me she almost looks like a really big Shiba Inu. Could she be a Shiba mix?

• Gold Top Dog
    I thought Carolina Dog when I first looked at her pic.