GSD Movement Again (VIDEO!!)

• Gold Top Dog

GSD Movement Again (VIDEO!!)

The German Shepherd Dog's movement is described in detail in both the SV and AKC standard. Faults of gait are serious faults. Finding the GSD with "that movement" is something every breeder strives for, no matter the line.

This is a video of a dog from the 80's who is the epitome of what a GSD should be in motion. The entire video is in slow motion and shows the dog in its entirety, the rear quarter, and the forequarter.

There seems to be some quibbling about who the dog actually is.  Some say it's Eiko Kirschental, others say it is "Dingo" (Uran v EikoSchnitzel), and others say it is Uran Haus Drego. Either way, this is how a GSD should look and move. This, is the ideal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIFpKL0qRQ0
    • Gold Top Dog

That was beautiful!

• Gold Top Dog

There's nothing like a GSD gait.  It's the thing that sets them above all of my other favorite breeds.  Now that I see Kenya and Coke running side by side, I've come to really appreciate the nice gait of a well-bred GSD.  I don't think Kenya's reach is all that great, but she was said to "move with balance and efficiency", nice rolling motion.  I could watch her for hours. 

I have my preferences when it comes to working vs show, east vs west, etc, but when they are gaiting correctly I really love them ALL! 

• Gold Top Dog

I wish the quality was better. When I upload it, it loses a lot. It looks so much better on my machine... Crying

Jaia Running

• Gold Top Dog

Woohoo!

Isn't it amazing how different their strides look?  I mean, trotting vs. gaiting vs. running?  Kenya is stubborn with me, she either wants to trot along or RUN, no nice gaiting for me!

• Gold Top Dog

FourIsCompany

I wish the quality was better. When I upload it, it loses a lot. It looks so much better on my machine... Crying

Jaia Running

Couldn't get the link to trip when I clicked, double clicked.  Did a right click and select 'open in new window'.  Got the photobucket reference and screen but video would not start.

Added:  Nevermind, the video finally started....I am jealous of the space they have for the dogs to run.  Looks very secure.

• Gold Top Dog

DPU, I don't know what's going on. It works for me. Can you try it again?

Here's the direct link:

Edit: Good. Yes, it's a horse pasture. Very secure. I fixed those fences myself! LOL
    • Gold Top Dog

Trotting is gaiting Liesje ^_^

Do you think you could capture Jaia or B'asia gaiting, Four?

• Gold Top Dog

Xeph

Sorry, I meant pacing.  Kenya usually paces.  Yuck.

• Gold Top Dog

Xeph

It is?

I just call it all running. Stick out tongue

What are the different "levels" of movement? Walking... What else? What's pacing? Sorry for the ignorance. I figure we can talk about the different movements in this thread since it's titled GSD Movement.

• Gold Top Dog

I found this and as soon as I understand it, I can try to get Jaia pacing. LOL

Source 

• Gold Top Dog

FourIsCompany

Xeph

It is?

I just call it all running. Stick out tongue

What are the different "levels" of movement? Walking... What else? What's pacing? Sorry for the ignorance. I figure we can talk about the different movements in this thread since it's titled GSD Movement.

My understanding and from what I mean just based on watching Kenya is that there is:

Walking - self explanatory

Pacing - the bad gait, lol. "In the PACE the feet strike the ground together on the same side of the body. Also, they usually move in the same direction in the pace, in other words, both right front and right rear move forwards together and strike the ground at the same time and both left front and left rear the same."

Trotting - the desired gait. "The TROT is a two-beat gait in which the feet at diagonally opposite ends of the body strike the ground TOGETHER (right front, left rear strike the ground at the same time, left front, right rear strike together, etc.)"

Running - self explanatory

Kenya's pacing gait is ugly because it is short and is almost more like a walk, no nice reach and it's more like how a horse trots (her body is kind of up-down-up-down if that makes sense).  Her real gait (the trot) has a much nicer reach especially in front, very fluid movement, topline stays in place not bobbing up and down, etc. I do not have her gaiting on video because unless I am jogging with her and paying attention to her steps, she only paces.  I've never seen her show :( .  The only time I've seen her gait really nicely was that time she got loose from Phil at the agility trial and was gaiting around the course, looking for me, lol.  Otherwise, she is typically pacing around (literally and figuratively) or just flat out running.

• Gold Top Dog

How gorgeous is this! 

I have to say that my setter moves with the same ground covering, smooth,  horizontal movement.  She's built with lots of angles.  My pointer pounds the ground and has higher action and not so much overstep.  She prances more and is splashed up to her shoulders if it's muddy outside. 

• Gold Top Dog

Do you think you could capture Jaia or B'asia [pacing], Four?

This may be difficult. I haven't seen them do it yet and I've been watching since I learned about it. I'll keep an eye out for it and I'll try, but ...  

• Gold Top Dog

The "ugly gait" (the pace) is a dog's way of still maintaining speed, but it is a resting gait.  Not as slow as a walk, but not a trot.  Many dogs do this to reserve energy before they break back into a trot.  You can also see them shift from a full out run, to a trot, to a pace, to a walk.  :-)