Boykin Spaniels

• Silver

Boykin Spaniels

I am looking for some information on them.  personal info.  I can google them til the cows come home.  Id like to know how they are in the field as well as in the water. 

Thanks!

• Gold Top Dog
    Have you looked at the Boykin Spaniel Society website yet? They list the upcoming field events so you could go see for yourself and the website also gives a pretty good rundown of the breed characteristics.
    • Gold Top Dog

i found this http://www.chesagrove.com/5boykin.htm . sounds like an all terrain hunting dog with energy to spare 

i did a search in a working dog forum but didnt find anyone with Boykins..  so i cant really offer any common opinions on them. naturally their breeders or fanciers are going to think they're the best.

• Silver

I am working my way thru the info found on the net.  was saving the club site for last. 

I agree that those that fancy their breed will think they are the best, but hopefully those same ones will throw out words of caution and wisdom that isnt normally found on the websites. Things like what the breed is prone to (hips, siezures, or what ever) things that they really excel in or things they have tried at home.

I love taking a dog with to 4H class as it helps me to learn more about dogs in general.  guess im searching for that perfect dog that no one else has.....   its so hard to replace the ones that are lost because you always want to compare a new one to the old..... 

Thanks!

• Gold Top Dog

Boykins were developed here in Spartanburg and are the state dog of SC which I find cool.  I've met one at the shelter I work at and he was a nice mellow guy, sniffed alot when I was out with him, but seemed to be a good all around dog, easy to handle, etc.