Is this a pure breed German Shepherd?Answer ASAP please

• Gold Top Dog

Oh, my God! A puppy!

I would probably feed  Natural Balance. DO NOT feed her "puppy food", Hi protein puppy food causes dogs to grow too big too soon and their bones don't support the weight well. You caould go with any high quality dog food like Natural Balance or Canidae.

You'll need a crate for potty training. You should have one that can be divided and "grow" with the dog. If the space is small enough, she won't soil it. DON'T give in to her cries when she's in the crate. For the first few nights, you may not get much sleep because she will cry to be let out. You'll want to get up in the night to take her outside to potty. At 10 weeks old, she can hold his urine for only 3 hours. So you should take her out every 3-4 hours. The idea is to NEVER let her potty in the house. If she never does, she won't get the idea that it's OK.

The first few weeks are pretty hard with a puppy, but you'll bond with her like you won't believe. Raising a puppy is a singular experience (for those of us who don't have kids). I've done 4! LOL

You need to read some stuff and educate yourself so that it goes as smoothly as possible. I'll get you some links to read.

Congratulations! Big job ahead, but it's amazing! I'm really happy for you!

• Gold Top Dog

thank you!!! I really appriciated...Im so happy..I dont know if she has her shots or not..what are the shots she needs??Im buying a crate tomorrow..its for large dogs but I will buy a divider..I want tipssssss for me...thanks..I been reading every day...

so what foods?how many times a day?lol

• Gold Top Dog

Socialization 

Potty Training 

What You'll Need 

GSD Dog Owner's Guide 

Join the GSD Board mentioned earlier! We will be glad to help you with your puppy but there are many knowledgeable people on the GSD boards, too, about specifics to GSDs! I posted on them for a long time and got a lot of good info.

• Gold Top Dog

The person you get her from may have started her shots. You should ask them. Then tell your vet and he'll tell you what you need. You'll probably have to take her in every 2 weeks for 4-6 weeks.

I would give her a bowl of food and let her "free-feed" in her crate for a week. Then you can start giving her meals 3-4 times a day. But while she's settling in, I'd make food available at all times and BE SURE to take her outside often to potty.

• Gold Top Dog

ohhhhh puppy breath! I am so happy for you.

• Gold Top Dog

I just finished reading this thread all the way through and I'm so excited for the OP.  I remember when I got my first dog away from my  parents, I did all the research beforehand but it wasn't until she came home with me that I realized I had a whole lot more to learn.  All I was concerned about was getting a dog with floppy ears and now I know so much more then I ever thought I would, I really do miss her.  Bringing a dog into your home really makes life so much more interesting.

I can't wait to see pics of the new fuzz baby!

• Gold Top Dog
    Congratulations! Can't wait to see pictures.
    • Gold Top Dog

I would have wanted to check whether the sire and dam had all the health tests prior to mating and what their hip scores were.  I would also wanted to meet the dam and the puppies before bringing the pup home - and the sire too if possible.  If not, I'd have wanted to have seen pictures, video of him and any health certificates.  Sounds like it is too late for that now though.

I have slightly different advice from what you have been given already.... with the crate it is better (in my opinion and experience) if you put it near you when you sleep so that the dog can see, hear and smell you at night.  He will be feeling very scared and if he cries it will be the cries of a frightened lost pup, not a naughty or demanding one.  I am unable to harden my heart to that sort of thing, but GOING to the puppy just teaches them to make a noise and you'll come running!  Letting them sleep near you to begin with makes it easier on them - and you get more sleep too!  You can gradually move the crate away from your bed a bit at a time once the pup has settled in and can "hold it"  all night OR you could spend the first few nights downstairs near the puppy instead - that is another way to ease the transition.

Make sure you set your alarm clock and get up at night to let the puppy outside.  She WON'T be able to "hold it" at night to begin with and if she has an accident in the crate it will be very very bad news.  Make sure she has nothing to eat after about 7pm and take up her water bowl at about 8pm and take her out to toilet as late as you can.  Remember to always always always make a big fuss of her as soon as she has been!  A very tasty tidbit will not go amiss!

I also have different advice re feeding - I do not believe in free feeding, particularly not with puppies.  With house training it is very important for you, as the adult and the intelligent species, to do all the legwork and make sure the puppy is outside when they need to use the toilet.  It is very hard to anticipate when they need to go if you can't be sure how much they have eaten or when.

I am so excited for you!  I have now had a baby and I can say that the baby was infinitely EASIER than the puppies!!!!!  SO GOOD LUCK!!!  You will need it!  Its a lot of hard work, but I cant even BEGIN to tell you how rewarding it is.... ENJOY! 

• Gold Top Dog

thanks to all of you for your help..Im still undecided if I should give her puppy food(what kind?) or regular dog food?Probably I will go pick her up tomorrow if not for sure sunday...!!!

• Gold Top Dog

If I were in your shoes, I would take the suggestion of a high quality all stages food (like Canidae) - not puppy food.  This is because of the dog's growth rate and genetic susceptibilty to problems with the bone structure.  With that in mind, most people recommend you control your pups exercise initially as well.... This is one lucky pup.  You are obviously very very committed to doing this thing properly.  If only all owners took the time to do HALF the research you are doing, dogs would have a better life.  Kudos to you Smile 

• Gold Top Dog

thank you Chuffy...I read about GSD for like two hours daily..I really like this breed and I want mine to be a great dog..I have research about puppy food..I see that some people say to feed all stages food..and others say to feed puppy food..I dont know a lot about this because where I was born I didn't have these kind of foods for my dogs..I had to make them their food...Also to start training her to seat when I tell her to..or to seat when we are walking and I stop should I use a training collar?or just a regular one?

• Gold Top Dog

at 10 weeks, this is a baby and should not be wearing a training collar.  You'll want to introduce the basics of training, with lots of praise, but don't expect her behavior to be perfect (ie sitting every time) and expect her to act as if she has never heard the command before.  Clicker training is excellent, especially with young puppies. They really take to itSmile

• Gold Top Dog

If your unsure about feeding an adult food I can say that I had great success with Nutro's large breed puppy food. It had the right ingredients for growth. Kord was on this food for almost the first complete year of his life, then he hit the teenager sting bean highly active stage and I needed a higher calorie food so I went with the Canidae.

• Gold Top Dog

As regards a collar and leash, your puppy is going to want to follow you everywhere anyway. I would hold off on the leash for a while. Just a lightweight regular "flat" collar is fine. I would just encourage the pup (What's her name?) to want to be around you. Be as positive and praise-ful as you can. Make her think that you are the most wonderful thing she's ever seen! Smile As you're walking around and she's following you, say "heel" or whatever command you want to use to mean "walk close to me".

Then, once she is used to "heeling", you can put on a lightweight leash and let her drag it around and eventually adapt her to you holding the other end. Don't ever jerk on it at all.

As far as training, the VERY best thing you can do is enroll in a puppy class. You will learn SO much!

Here are some really good videos that cover most basic puppy commands.  

Teaching your puppy to...  

Bottom line, my advice is to take all the advice you get and do your research and then do what feels right to you. Smile There is no perfect way to do things and you're not likely to "ruin" your dog if you do something "wrong". I am REALLY against puppy food for German Shepherds, but if you do decide on a puppy food, please make it a puppy food for large breeds so she doesn't grow too fast. What is she eating now?

And here's what you have to look forward too (as if you aren't excited enough!)

Puppy Jaia Training Video

• Gold Top Dog

Congratulations!