Hearing That D*mn Clock Ticking...what can I do?

• Gold Top Dog

Hearing That D*mn Clock Ticking...what can I do?

I am new to this community and I have truly enjoyed wandering around the cyber neighborhood. I was recently amazed when I posted on my breed list about the pending loss of my soul puppy Jasmine. A 12+ Rhodesian Ridgeback lady who I would happily lay down my own life for. Many of the folks on our list are in a simular position, they too have a loved one who's clock is ticking , ever louder , and seemingly quicker. Many asked me how I was able to write of my girl without breaking down. Because she is still with me I replied. there will be more than enough time to tear my hair and weep. Right now I want to LIVE each day with her. She has a huge hermangiopericytoma tumor on her hip. This so very elegant Champion, mother and grandmother of champions. It is not a necrotic form of cancer but one that because of it's aggressive growth and unfortunate placement will one day cause certain failure in my girl's ability to function. I have speant the past few weeks researching and educating myself on this problem and developing a plan of action that IF my vet will agree to will dictate how she will be treated. ..as it is we have a 3-6 month prognosis.

So rather than giving up I was wondering, aside from collecting photographs, stealing cookies and taking naps together what else would anyone reccomend we do? Is there one spectacular money shot type of pose I should not forget?  One special place I should make sure she and I spend time? Something awesome I could cook for her?  Please remember we are still celebrating her life and her place in ours.. Jasmine can be seen in my profile and home page, sorry I don't know how to insert her photo on this pageConfused  I don't want to find myself in a few months filled with regrets because I couldn't let myself think or ask others. Thank you for any responses

• Gold Top Dog

I'm sorry you are going through this...I know how hard it is when you know it will be coming, but not when.  I lost Winnie last Dec, and the only thing I regret is not cooking her a steak the night before and not being able to be with her as I always thought I would be, but there was nothing that could be done about that.  She had exploratory surgery which showed liver cancer and was let go on the table.  But I know I did everything else possible.

The only thing I can think of is making Jasmine some liver brownies for treat time.  You can find the recipe in "Around the campfire."  Food was always Winnie's favorite!  

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts... 

• Gold Top Dog

Aw, that is so sad. I'm selfishly glad that my dog is old, but still healthy apart from failing eyesight and hearing.

However, last Christmas my family dealt with the deteriorating health of our beloved heart cat. He was a very special cat to everyone and he'd been with us for so long. He was there to see all of us kids grow up. Towards the end, he was in a lot of pain from arthritis and had dementia. We just indulged his every whim, even if it was a crazy, senile one that made no sense. He got whatever he wanted. If he wanted to eat heart everyday, he got to eat heart everyday. If he wanted to lie somewhere he was having trouble getting to, we'd make it easy for him to get there. I think once they get to that point, it's fair to just give them whatever they seem to enjoy still and count every day a blessing when they're still there at the end of it. We put our cat to sleep when he wasn't enjoying life very much anymore, and I still miss him. 

• Gold Top Dog

I have heard that clock, heard it loud and clear for over 2 years. In the end my family and I decided enough was enough. We decided to let her go down swinging, she could do whatever she wanted, no more pills, eat what she wanted, played when she wanted. No more pushing living on her because we wanted her to stay. She had an enlarged heart, a mass on her spleen/liver and damaged lungs from a car accident.

I can now say that the last 6 months of her life were probably the happiest. We talked to the vet and he was very blunt, she was not a canidate for surgery, he agreed with us to just monitor and keep her comfortable, but let her do what she deemed fun.

So once again she romped with children, sat on the porch and played the hostess, chased cats and balls, she got table scraps and steak. We took her for walks, to the lake, car rides everywhere. We spent every moment we could with her, I even took her for one last visit to see my mom and the family. In the last month or so we had to build a ramp for her to get on the bed and into the car, but it was built with love.

On her last visit the vet told us it was close, the mass was getting bigger, it would just be a matter of time before it did the final damage. We lost her 4 days later.

Babe

• Gold Top Dog

I like Truley's philosphy.  Let him go out doing the things he loves.  I know it is tempting to try all kinds of medications, supplements, crazy diets, but sometimes when the prognosis is very poor, the kindest thing you can do is let them love their last days.  Whem they no longer have the same light in their eyes you know. 

• Gold Top Dog

Sounds like you are doing all the right things to enjoy every moment of her life. 

I recently read a book, "Merle's Door", and when his dog got old the author stated something along the lines of "our time together became even sweeter, like fruit left to ripen on the vine, it's sugars fully developed".  That to me described how I wanted life with my dogs to be.  They are small and it is scary to own such small dogs.  I went through a horrible phase of constant panic that something would happen to them.  I finally just decided to make every single moment with them as enjoyable as possible.  I want no regrets when the time comes.

I am wishing you a life of joy with your soul pup and no regrets.

• Bronze

Bonita...

What a lovely request.  How do we do best by those we love most?  And the replies you have been given are surely heartwarming and kind.  Bless this board for its higher purpose.  My suggestion to you additonally is to film your Ridgie as she is now with you in the present.  Videotape anything you do together.  These are memories that are important to you now and for in the future. 

For me and my 12+ year old Gypsy, our videos we create today are for the memories I need for the future when she is no longer mine. 

For your Champion, I wish her peaceful days in her old age....and hugs in prayer to you...Coleen

• Gold Top Dog

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this.  I know how you feel.  I lost my boy to cancer a year ago Jan.  It is a terrible thing to have to go through.  Nothing makes it easier.  Crying  Make sure you take pictures of the 2 of you together.  That was important to me.  I also took a bunch of him with my daughter.  I was able to make a picture collage for her after we lost him to help her deal with it also.  I cherish all of our pics of him, but I really like the ones with my daughter and him and the 2 of us.  I also had him cremated.  Don't know if that is something you would like to do, but it makes me feel he is still with us.  Do as you are doing, enjoying your baby for as long as you can.  Those are memories that will stay with you.  Best of luck to you, my heart goes out to you!  Right Hug

• Gold Top Dog

:(

I like the idea of just letting her go down swinging. Let her do all the fun stuff she wants to do, or never got to do before.

How about travel? Can she still travel? Like going to the beach or lake or something?

But I know the best times and best memories are the ones that are simple. Those warm, comfortable times spent with each other in each others arms. Those are the best.