Thoughts on these two breeds: Basenji and Akita Inu?

• Silver

Thoughts on these two breeds: Basenji and Akita Inu?

Not long ago I posted here asking if anyone has had any experience (positive or negative) with Alaskan Malamutes.  I got some great responses, so I thought I'd ask the same question about the Basenji and Akita Inu breeds.

Basenjis seem nice because they are small with short hair, thus easier to groom.  A bit temperamental and independent though from what I've read.  Akita Inus apparently are much lower maintainence in terms of excersize, and they love to protect their owners and follow them around, but are a bit iffy around new people.

Thoughts about either of these breeds?

• Gold Top Dog

Shiba Inu? 

• Gold Top Dog

I'm not sure if you're talking about the breed Shiba Inu either but if you are then I have a little information on them. My friend had one a few years back and he was a sweet dog but was really hyper and very smart! He was able to get out of her fenced yard in a matter of seconds! He was a great escape artist but then again, if you have an active lifestyle and keep the dog's mind occupied this probably won't be an issue.

• Silver

No, I wasn't talking about the Shiba Inu, although the Shiba Inu is similar to the Akita Inu (both from Japan, similar appearance).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akita_Inu

• Gold Top Dog
    My friends own a breeding pair of Akitas last time I saw them (years ago). Both the dogs were very sweet to me but I was surprised at how BIG they were, the male especially. They were sweet towards me and the male would lie beside me and let my pet. My freinds were very very strict about opening the gait to tehir yard or letting the dogs outside, they told me that if one of their Akitas got thier neighbors dogs then the dogs would kill the neighbors dogs. Before I learned they were Japanese fighting dogs I had thought Akitas were sled dogs. lol Oh and I woudl think their grooming requirements would be about the same as a Malamute or Husky.
    • Gold Top Dog

Basenjis aren't exactly the easiest of dogs to live with, but neither are the other breeds you've mentioned.  Basenjis are quite a bit smaller than the akita or malamute.  Here's a few websites with some good info on basenjis:

http://www.basenji.org/?q=node/5

http://www.basenjirescue.org/

http://www.coloradobasenjirescue.org/aboutbasenjis.shtml

http://www.adventurelandbasenjis.com/10_most_frequently_asked_questio.htm

http://www.sinbaje.com/

http://www.geocities.com/rugosab/

If you have some more specific questions after reading all this, I'm happy to help.

• Gold Top Dog

PM Gina (rwbeagles), she used to breed Akitas.  My experience with them is that they tend to be very dominant, somewhat temperamental, and dog aggressive towards dogs of the same sex.  I believe they also have very high prey drives and since they were developed as a powerful hunting dog, typically cannot be trusted off leash.  Personally I think they are stunning and I enjoy larger dogs that can hold their own, so to speak.  They are one of my favorite breeds, but I don't know if I will ever own one (I need dogs that I can trust unconditionally around cats and be easily reliable off leash). 

• Gold Top Dog

I never bred Akitas...due to health issues and temeprament I never felt comfortable enough to do that. I did however own them, and still love them. I do NOT recommend them as a breed to any first time owners as a general rule.

• Dogs aggression is common
    • Small animal aggression is common.
    • they are independant and very interested in "leading" the pack
    • They are immensely strong in body and mind.
    • they do not adapt well to changes in lifestyle so moves, new babies, marriages and divorces can be very hard on them. If you are a young single person think hard about this.
    • They do not thrive in busy households where people come and go or adults or children tend to be loud or rowdy. This stresses them out a lot and issues can result.
    • They should never, absolutely never....be off lead anywhere.
    • Many insurance companies will not insure your home if you have an Akita.
    • They shed immense amounts of fur all the time and blow even more immense amounts 1-2 times yearly.
    • They have numerous health issues any owners had better well be aware of before purchasing one...they can be expensive and heartbreaking to deal with.
    • Finding a good breeder is absolutely essential. Breeders that show and health test and not just breeding to breed.
    • Bronze

i do not believe the statement that they dont need a lot of exercise at all. akitas are very difficult dogs. they are prone to horrible health problems, which is enough for me to not get one. my best friend had one growing up and you would not believe the turn that dog made. before she died she was half the size she used to be, had no fur, had crust around her eyes within minutes of cleaning them, and was deaf and going blind. sweetheart of a dog, but i couldnt put myslef through that. they are hard to groom, partly because of the hair, partly because they just dont like it. like somene else said, they are definetly not a dog for a first time dog owner, but then again, neither are malamutes or basenjis

• Gold Top Dog

It sounds like you like the spitzy- appearnace. Have you thought about a Samoyed, a Eurasier, or a Keeshond? They're typically the three 'easiest' of the Spitz breeds to own, until you get into the toys.

• Gold Top Dog

TBBucs-

What is it you are looking for in a dog?  Perhaps if we knew, we could advice on how these breeds fit your criteria. 

• Gold Top Dog

I should add, that if you're in Fla (given the TBBucs handle), there are several nice basenjis on BRATs website looking for new homes.

• Silver

agilebasenji

TBBucs-

What is it you are looking for in a dog?  Perhaps if we knew, we could advice on how these breeds fit your criteria. 

First of all, I work for a corporation 5 days a week, but but I'm an early riser, so I work from 7am - 3pm and am home around 3:30 every day.  I enjoy my job and it is relatively stress-free most of the time, so I'm never too exhausted to play with my dog after work (I get home early enough that there's plenty of day left anyway).  I live in the city, but have a large back yard (about a half an acre).  As you noted, I like the Spitz-type look.  The size of the dog doesn't really matter much to me.  Important qualities of the dog are loyalty and friendship to me, and tolerable of others.  It doesn't have to be Golden Retriever friendly, but hopefully it's a dog that people can be comfortable around.  It would be an inside dog whenever I'm home and outside when I'm at work.  I'm an active individual, so I don't have a problem exercising the dog on a regular basis.  I don't have any children, so that's not an issue.  I've put a few dogs through obedience school before, so I don't have a problem training it either.

I hope I touched on everything.  Thanks so much for you help, everyone! Smile

Oh, and I actually live in Oregon, I'm just a hard-core fan of the Bucs Wink

• Gold Top Dog

The only problem I'd see is leaving the dog out while you were at work- most of the spitz are escape artists and most of the smaller ones are theft magnets. I think an Akita in that situation is a bite waiting to happen.

I think you might want to look into Keesies more.    

• Gold Top Dog

There are several breeders listed on the BCOA website in OR (www.basenji.org and look under "breeder directory";), but I don't know any of these people personally.  But I will say I've seen pics of Kelele on the Samburu website and there's just something about that little girl!  She's almost as cute as my Zpuppy Wink and that's saying something.   Of course you may also want to look into WA breeders or northern CA breeders.  Meet them and their dogs, see if the basenji lifestyle is something you might be interested in.  I certainly wouldn't discount the basenji breed based on what you've said.  As long as you realize they are NOT off-leash dogs.  And, esepcially given wet cold weather, a basenji would probably be happier inside when you're not home.  But they do just fine in a crate.