Poogles?

• Gold Top Dog
    What a SWEET little thing!!!!!
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: mehpenn

ORIGINAL: spiritdogs

At least maybe she probably won't have the crap disposition some of the Puggles have. [:'(]

In general, I wish people would stop bailing out the byb's.  They need to take responsibility for their own stupidity.

I agree that byb's need to take responsibility... but I can't see letting a poor puppy suffer or be thrown in the pound and put to sleep just because it was born to irresponsible breeders.

Yes, but, unfortunately it is that attitude that keeps these "breeders" in business.  It will never stop until there is no market for what they produce.  And, in fact, many of the dogs end up in shelters and euthanized anyway, largely because it is the most uneducated owners who take them in. 
    • Puppy
    Many poorly-bred/puppy mill ;Poodles suffer from Epilepsy, which is an inherited disease. Seizures normally begin about 18 months of age, so please watch your ;pup's behavior closely around this age. In the meantime, enjoy your wee one and I hope you've enrolled in a training class. Beagles can be quite a challenge, often described as a nose with legs, meaning they are very distracted by any new scents they find. Poodles are a "soft" breed which means if harsh training methods are used, they will shut-down and not repond to you. Poodles are also quite intelligent, and will become bored with repetitive training, keep training upbeat & interesting[;)]

• Gold Top Dog
    Just wanted to give ya'll an update. She's doing great. She is losing her "puppy" fuzz and is getting a somewhat thicker yet still soft coat now.. still no shedding.
    She is doing fabulously with her house training, and is a quick learner. She exhibits qualities of both of her parent breeds.. likes to trail and bay like a beagle, has the energy and attitude of a poodle... a good mix thus far.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Molly is adorable!
    She sounds like a great dog. Hopefully you will post more picutres of her as she grows.
    • Bronze
    I am avidly against byb but I have to say that it is not only only "poorly-bred/puppy mill" bred dogs, not only poodles but other breeds as well, that suffer from epilepsy. When I had my kennel I bought a very nice bi black sheltie from a pretty reputable breeder. The pup was linebred on a top producing sire. She developed problems that were related to a food related toxin but when I began researching deeper I found that there was indeed problems in the line (people that had not indicated problems when I researched the line BEFORE the seizures in that pup, spoke up AFTER the seizures began and the dog food company blamed it on hereditary problems). Another example is a family member who also had shelties. She bought 2 sable bitches from a well known breeder, line bred on a top producing, heavily campaigned stud. The 2nd bitch, the taller of the 2, was bred to her stud.  The entire litter was affected with an autoimmune disease and had to be put down -- 11 puppies. The particular disease was a recessive, which sadly proved both dogs to be carriers.  The stud was retired and anyone w/ pups was notified. The breeder on the dam adamantly denied the presence of the disease in her dogs, despite glaring proof. Of course both bitches were spayed. I heard too many other cases where well known breeders pulled things like this. It is one of the reasons I left the dog world.  Over the years I saw and heard so many things, that caused me to ultimately move away from the dog show world.  So please be realistic when dealing with puppies in general because sadly it is not just puppy millers that produce, and sell, pups with problems.   Kim

Many poorly-bred/puppy mill ;Poodles suffer from Epilepsy, which is an inherited disease. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    People really have to stop breeding "Designer Dogs."  You can never be sure about what they'll turn out to be like, more Poodle or more Beagle, so in a way the're not breeders!  What's more, most people only breed them because the celebrities have them!  So stupid!  Mutts are good, but don't BREED them.  Instead, you should go to a shelter and rescue one.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: mehpenn

ORIGINAL: spiritdogs

At least maybe she probably won't have the crap disposition some of the Puggles have. [:'(]

In general, I wish people would stop bailing out the byb's.  They need to take responsibility for their own stupidity.

I agree that byb's need to take responsibility... but I can't see letting a poor puppy suffer or be thrown in the pound and put to sleep just because it was born to irresponsible breeders.

And that shows that you are a kind-hearted person.  But, as someone already pointed out, it's also what keeps these jerks in business.  I know you love this little dog, and I hope she has a long, healthy life with you - but it really isn't about rescuing this one, it's about all the people every day who "rescue" just one more, and just one more, and just one more, until the mills never stop. 
    • Puppy
    ORIGINAL: catrel
    I am avidly against byb but I have to say that it is not only only "poorly-bred/puppy mill" bred dogs, not only poodles but other breeds as well, that suffer from epilepsy.

I did not claim that Poodles are the ONLY breed prone to inherited epilepsy, I was simply providing information pertinent to this thread's topic. Seizure disorders can occur in any type of mammal, breeding an affected mammal to another affected mammal will more than likely produce affected offspring. I hope that clears that up....

• Bronze
    And getting back to the original thread posting.........I think your dog is adorable [;)]
    I have a ;purebred poodle, and I'm completely sold on the breed.  They are wonderful companions and extremely intelligent.  Good luck with your little one! 
    • Puppy
    I  just got a poogle!! I have been searching for more info on them and have not  been very successful. His name is Louis, he is solid black, & 3 months old. He is super playful. So far, the potty training thing is going ok, he does really good on a leash, but gets upset when I leave him (only for a little bit & then calms down).  He is fluffy and wavy, but has the beagles nose for sure. He is shedding just a bit, but not out of control. If you have any advice for me helping to train him please let me know!
    • Gold Top Dog
    First off, I'm going to recommend you enroll the pup in an obedience class or puppy kindergarten.  The trainer will be able to help you learn about your dog's temperament and will teach you how to train your dog so that he becomes a friendly and lovable pet.  I will also suggest that if you haven't gotten him checked by a vet, which I'm assuming you have since you seem to care so much about him, you should do so now.  If there is any sort of genetic problem, the vet might be able to find it and help him live a long and happy life. 
    If you know the two breeds included in the mix, theoretically you should be able to research both breeds and go from there.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  When you have two breeds where the only real simularity is size, it can be a problem.  I wouldn't suggest letting him off leash, as a Beagle nose will often lead him places where he doesn't belong.  Beagles are serious chow-hounds and many will do nearly anything for food, if he inherits that, it is quite easy to use to your advantage.  Poodles, depending on how they are bred, can be the most biddable, intelligent dogs, or they can be horrible little brats, so there is really no way of knowing what temperament your dog has until it fully matures.  Don't count on the coat being the same in another year.  A dog's puppy coat is often very different than its adult coat.  Think of a Labrador.  If you've ever petted a Labrador puppy, they're all soft and fluffy, but an adult Lab has sort of a harsh, wiry coat.  As much as I would rather you had gone to a shelter or poodle mix rescue and adopted a dog that had already been health-tested and had its temperament evaluated so that you did not support a puppy mill or back yard breeder, as long as you have the dog, it's important that you know how to take care of the dog as best possible. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    I just have one thing t point out.

This poor pup was honestly inno danger of euthanizatino at 90% of shelters out there. While I'm glad you love her, I wish you'd waited to get her until the breeder had given up on making a profit and taken them to the shelter. Then your money would have gone to a good cause rather than supporting a BYB.
    • Bronze

I really hope that she turns out ok for you, because she is adorable.  I have to agree with what others have said.  Byb d o not do genetic tests.  Hopefully your pup will be ok, but "designer dogs" open a whole new can of genetic worms.  Not only will she be at risk for the beagle faults but the poodle faults as well.  (poodles have to be tested for cushings, addisons, as well as other diseases, including bloat, eye problems...)

You will not be able to tell her coat until she sheds out her puppy coat.  Do not get your hopes up--the best crosses for low shed were labs, and they still shed.  There is no such thing as a poodle cross that does not shed--they have a shedding dog as an immediate parent, then they will shed--even if minimally.

Problems arise when you get the hair that mats of the poodle and cross it with a shedding breed--ex. golden retrievers.  The result is a dog that sheds AND mats. 

Karen

PS:  AS a poodle owner, lover and rescue-er, who is involved in conformation and AKC clubs, I have to say that all pure blooded clubs are opposed to crosses...simply for the health of the dogs and the purity of the breeds.