American Eskimos?

• Gold Top Dog

American Eskimos?

Anyone have experience with American Eskimos? Their pros, cons??? I've heard they can be skittish or fear biters ... any truth to this? I'm thinking of taking on a 4 month old bitch pup - she is absolutely GORGEOUS but I want to be 110% sure this breed is good for me before I take the plunge. Thanks!

• Gold Top Dog
    i have had one. and let me tell you she was hyper hyper hyper and she never grew out of it..and when she was settled down she was a very sweet dog..but VERY yappy..barked at all hours of the day and night at nothing..lol she just did it to do it i guess..so very sweet, hyper, mouthy dogs is my opinion..but not all are like that i don't think..maybe?
    • Bronze
    It's the spitz type that are like that.  I had a mixed breed AE and LOVED him, he was a doll, but really didn't have their personality.  While every dog is different, and the way you train/socialize makes a big difference, they can have a tendency to be snappy/nippy so I've found in my dealings with them.  BUT like I said, it's a big part of how you raise this dog.  I've had professional dealings with them, so I'd say get more info from someone who's owned or lived with one for better all around behavior quirks. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    I've dealt with a few, and I like them. They can be skittish if not properly socialized, but so can any dog. I agree with the fear biting... but that is workable, esp. if the pup is young. Plus - they are really, really cute =]
    • Gold Top Dog
    I *love* eskies. Well-socialized ones with proper breed temperament are fantastically stable dogs with creative personalities. They're just a blast. So, go meet her and be willing to think it over there- and don't fall in love without being practical first. The bad ones can be nippy and skittish, but frankly, proper socialization is NOT that hard. They're a breed that it does make a difference for, and that really need training to make the most of their brains. 
    • Puppy
    I have a small Standard - 22 lb. male American Eskimo - 3 1/2 years old.  Unfortunately came from a BYB and was considered runt (who became the Swan!).  Definitely they are one family dogs - with room for an extra special few - if they love you, you will know it - the Zoomies and demand for hugs and kisses!  (Note - jaws and paws of Death so you need to be prepared for said kisses.)  Definitely the Spitz breed can be on the aggressive side - so much does depend on the dog, how he/she is treated and training - but again so much on the particular dog and his/her temperament.  My guy really wants to be loved and also wants to be tall - he goes to socialization once a week at his groomers where most of the dogs are big - lots of Boxers etc. and he feels left out at cookie time - will actually put a paw around the necks of 2 Boxers to raise his stature.  Also some big Poodles - Poodles LOVE my guy - who is rather "feminine" in his ways.  He has very big teeth - too big for a dog of his size so we are careful when giving him a cookie.  They are barking fools no doubt about it and definitely do not like to be yelled at - need a calm, assertive manner.  They generally do not do well in kennel type rescues as they like a family atmosphere.  I think you would need to meet this pup and get a feel for her.   Health wise my guy has been great - thankfully.  We used to have mini Dachshunds and are known at the neuros by sight for back/neck disc disease surgery.  Dachshunds are my soul mates and I miss them dearly.  Brilliant, cunning dogs - note that the Eskimo is also brilliant, just not as cunning - THANKFULLY!  I am one step ahead.  When out and we meet a Dachshund my guy sits at attention - somehow he feels the bond is gets worried.  They are little piggies when it comes to food - next in line to 1. Dachshunds. 2. Beagles.  Before our Dachshunds we had a Beagle.  From the picture next to your name, I am assuming you have a Beagle - frankly not a lot of difference between the Beagle we had and our Eskimo to be truthful - both were barkers, eaters (Hoovers) and perhaps because  rescue at age 7, our Beagle was mostly a one family dog.  I do discourage people trying to pet our Eskimo due to big teeth, never knowing how the person will touch him, worry over perhaps the person reminding him of someone he doesn't care for - the usual stuff.  Definitely I would go and see the little girl.  I also suggest that you take a look at the Eskimo breed specific site if you haven't already - it is [linkhttp://www.eskie.net]www.eskie.net[/link].  Lots of information there.  BTW, Eskies do very well on a fish based diet.  We switched our guy to Fromms Salmon A La Veg at 8 months and it has been wonderful - and also wasn't on the recall list.  I know a lot of people don't like corn in dog food but be that as it may corn GOES RIGHT THROUGH an Eskie!  So a reason not to feed it.  I do keep a couple of cans of Hill's I/D on hand in case of a stomach upset but that is it.  Keep getting new cans as best before date rolls around - he has been so healthy - thankfully.