Help! choosing a breed

• Bronze

Help! choosing a breed

I'm not sure what breed to get I'm going to be a dog owner soon and still haven't decided yet i wanted one of the 5: 1.beagle 2.akita 3.siberian husky 4.chow chow 5.shih tzu . Mom said to get a small or medium sized dog, but I want a dog that won't go around doing what it wants for the rest of his/her life (like my cousins,he barks at people and acts kind of spoiled). Anyways have any idea on what bread (it doesn't have to be the 5 i already listed) i should get?
    • Bronze
    oops im mean breed not bread =) sorry
    • Gold Top Dog
    What traits do you like in the dogs you've listed?  What type of activities will you do with the dog?  Do you care about coat type/shedding/grooming?  Have you owned dogs in the past?

If you are a first time owner, of the dogs you've listed I would pick the Shi Tzu, but it depends on what characteristics you are looking for in a dog in general.
    • Bronze
    well i wanted a dog that would be a good friend and shih tzu are kinda cute my cousin has one,its cute when it barks. I kinda like to  take long walks , no i haven't owned any dogs in the past.
    • Silver
    I think you need to research the breeds you're interested in really, really carefully.  Check into temperaments and trainability, exercise needs, energy levels, health problems - in short, everything you need to know about a breed to find out if it's the right one for you.

In general, chows and akitas are definitely not a good breed for an inexperienced dog owner.  Huskies need a ton of exercise. 

I think it would be good if you could get an all-breed book, or read up on these breeds on-line, or maybe go to a dog show and actually meet the dogs, talk to breeders and owners and get a lot more information about whatever breed you're most interested in before you decide.

The breeds you mentioned are all very, very different in their needs - from exercise to grooming to trainability to energy levels.  You need to find the one that best suits you and your family.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I've never owned a Chow Chow, Akita, or Husky, but my research on these breeds and experience working with them at the shelter leads me to believe that these are 3 of the most stubborn breeds you can get as far as wanting to do their own thing, not being as companion-ish as say a dog that likes to be on your lap or sit at your feet.  They are escape artists and for the most part can never be trusted off leash.  In general, they tend to be a bit more "wild" (not hyper, but like a natural dog) than other more domesticated dogs.  That's why out of your list, I would pick the Tzu.  I've had good experiences with Tzu's and think they are good dogs for first time owners.  Beagles are great to, but they need a LOT of exercise, can be more difficult to house train, and can be very vocal (barking and howling).  If they don't get enough exercise, they can be really noisy and destructive (compulsive chewing and digging).

What about going to a local shelter and chosing a mixed breed?
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thought - I have a friend who really wants a Husky, mainly for looks, but wasn't prepared for their escape expertise and stubbornness.  He really wanted more of a companion animal.  Instead, he's going to get an Alaskan Klee Kai:

• Gold Top Dog
    Huskies in general are not constant companion dogs. They are very independant and will do whatever it takes to get their way. They love pretty much all humans equally so if you're looking for a loyal companion, don't get a husky.

They are also very vocal - in a very annoying, barky whiney way.

They love to run and need TONS of exercise. I'm not just saying that to scare you away - it is true. They are escape artists and will climb fences, dig under fences, go through windows, bust through doors, etc. to get out and run. You can't trust them off leash - they won't come back until they're done running.
    • Gold Top Dog
    For a first-time owner, shih tzu or beagle. The other three breeds you mentioned (husky, chow, akita) are all VERY strong-willed, strong-personality dogs and both akitas and chows have tendancies towards being aggressive towards other dogs (even if you don't have another dog in your house, it's difficult to manage if you ever plan on taking the dog anywhere in public). If you have never owned or trained a dog before, don't make it harder than it has to be.

Beagles are more athletic than tzus, and when you have a beagle the exercise is not "optional". It's a requirement. If you are thinking that you have some days where you really don't want to take a long walk, go for the shih tzu. A beagle will need daily walks, a fenced area where it can run off-leash, and you do have to deal with the fact that beagles are essentially noses on legs. Shih tzus were bred to be companion animals, happy to do whatever you're doing, but they are of course smaller and less robust than beagles.
    • Bronze
    Thank you, walking lady and Liesje
    • Bronze
    thank you hound love and jewlieee oh and that picture of that Alaskan Klee kai is that it? it's cute! 
    • Bronze
    also um... if beagles are made for hunting will it bring back like a dead bird or something like that?
    • Gold Top Dog
    also um... if beagles are made for hunting will it bring back like a dead bird or something like that?

I think Beagles track scent, that's how they hunt.  Most hunting dogs don't atctually kill the animal, just help the human find it or trap it.  However, most dogs love foul things like dead animals, piles of other animals' poo, etc and will roll in it if they have the chance.  Only dogs with super high prey drive would actually kill a healthy bird.  You can train a dog so you can recall it off of animals.  My dog chases rabits and skunks, but I call her back before she gets to the animal or crosses into someone else's yard.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: houndlove

For a first-time owner, shih tzu or beagle. The other three breeds you mentioned (husky, chow, akita) are all VERY strong-willed, strong-personality dogs and both akitas and chows have tendancies towards being aggressive towards other dogs (even if you don't have another dog in your house, it's difficult to manage if you ever plan on taking the dog anywhere in public). If you have never owned or trained a dog before, don't make it harder than it has to be.

Beagles are more athletic than tzus, and when you have a beagle the exercise is not "optional". It's a requirement. If you are thinking that you have some days where you really don't want to take a long walk, go for the shih tzu. A beagle will need daily walks, a fenced area where it can run off-leash, and you do have to deal with the fact that beagles are essentially noses on legs. Shih tzus were bred to be companion animals, happy to do whatever you're doing, but they are of course smaller and less robust than beagles.

I cannot agree more with the above posting.Husky's Akitas and Chows are not good for first time owners, I would recomend the shih tzus as that will make a nice companion dog, does not have a high drive (the beagle will have a high hunt drive) which can lead to training problems if you are inexperienced.Beagles are otherwise good but may tend to always want to smell everything which makes teaching to heel a little more interesting and will most likely need more exersise, be less inclined to come back when called etc.

• Gold Top Dog
    As a scenthound owner....if you let your beagle run off without supervision in a place where there's going to be rabbits and squirrels and things: yes your beagle will hunt (and will also probably get lost and not come back). Scenthounds if they get the opportunity will indeed hunt and kill (and eat) critters. Smart hound owners, however, don't generally just let their dogs go off on walkabout with no supervision. Leashes and fences are MUSTS with these dogs. Beagles are more silly and less business-like than coonhounds, but my coonhound has caught and attempted to eat 2 squirrels and 1 bird since I've had him--and he was on leash on each of those occaisions. If he finds a hole of some kind with something living in it, he will raise holy heck and will not move from the spot--he must be drug away under protest.

Having said that, all dogs are predators. From the biggest mastiff to the smallest chihuahua, they all have the equipment to track, hunt, chase and kill. Some breeds are more driven to do those things than others, but the potential is always there.