is it normal for maltese puppies to be so expensive?

• Gold Top Dog

is it normal for maltese puppies to be so expensive?

A friend of mine wants a Maltese pup and I am doing a little research on breeders for her to stop her from buying yet another pet shop dog.  All of the show breeders I am seeing are charging upwards of $1500 for a pet quality puppy, and this one in particular is charging $3000!   [linkhttp://www.chrismanmaltese.com]www.chrismanmaltese.com[/link]

I don't remember seeing these prices when I was looking for my doxie pup.  Is this the normal price range??  She will only consider buying from a breeder if is in within the local area (northern NJ).
    • Gold Top Dog
    Maltese are one of those breeds where there are a TON of breed-related health issues.  So if a breeder is breeding only champion-quality dogs, doing it WELL and doing it right -- ain't gonna be cheap! 

My big question is how many puppies do they have NOW.  If they just have lotsa extra pups around to be sold and there is no waiting list -- probably isn't a good breeder even at that price.

Some will charge just on the theory that expensive is "better" but not give you a better dog for it. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    Please ask your friend to consider a rescued Maltese.  There are rescues in the north NJ area.  She would spend considerably less money and would be helping a dog who badly needs a home.

[linkhttp://west.petfinder.com/shelters/NY20.html]http://west.petfinder.com/shelters/NY20.html[/link]

[linkhttp://www.sosdogs.org/]http://www.sosdogs.org/[/link]

• Gold Top Dog
    For various reasons, toy breeds come with a steep price usually from a breeder.  Almost any toy breed from a show breeder you're looking at that price range depending.  Though $3000 for a pet quality dog is too high imo.  When we searched reputable breeders for papillons, the cheapest we could find was $1450 for an undersized pet quality dog.  It just goes up from there. 

My sheltie from a reputable breeder was only $450 but he wasn't a little puppy when we got him.  That's also including the part we got back for his neuter.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Ok, I guess it's pretty normal then, I honestly had no idea.  I feel kind of stupid now because she was telling me the pet shop was charging $1500 and I totally balked at the price and told her she can get a well bred puppy from champion lines for half the price - oops! 

NC_cockermama - I don't think she'll entertain the rescue option.  I think she really wants a puppy, and I just don't see her going through home inspections and all that stuff.  At this point I'm glad she is even considering a breeder vs. a pet store.  I suppose I can at least suggest it though.

She doesn't have a problem paying $1500, but $3000 she would not pay (and I can't see how anyone can pay that for a dog unless it walks itself!), and that is the only breeder I can find in the area. I'll just keep searching - at least I know that these prices are pretty much the norm.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Maltese typically have litters of what 1-3? That's why mills typically mix them with Bichon or something bigger to get more per litter [:'(]
    That makes them a bit more expensive as well...along with the other factors mentioned.
    • Gold Top Dog
    $1500 seems about right for a toy breed to me also. $3000 is definitely too high. If you get outside the toy breeds, the prices are lower I think. My shelties were $700 each for pet quality. Tell her that even if she pays less at a pet store, she could very well end up with a dog that has health or behavior problems that will cost her more in the long run.
    • Gold Top Dog
    [blockquote]
    ORIGINAL: rwbeagles

Maltese typically have litters of what 1-3? That's why mills typically mix them with Bichon or something bigger to get more per litter [:'(]
    That makes them a bit more expensive as well...along with the other factors mentioned.

That's really what I think is one of the main reasons.  Toys just have small litters so the price isn't as 'spread out' over a bunch of pups.  It's not even easy to find a pup and you often times don't have much choice.  Finding a female papillon is near impossible.  Of my two, Beau was a litter of two and Rose was a singleton.  Other larger breeds can have a lot more puppies per litter.  Plus many toys have birthing trouble which does add on to the expense.  [/blockquote]
    • Gold Top Dog
    I think I read somewhere that all dogs pretty much have the same size of puppy more or less (there are differences which is why you don't want to mate a large breed dog with a small breed bitch, but it's not that small breeds have these eenie weenie microscopic pups--they're pretty big). With smaller bitches though, that means you can only fit a couple in there. Larger breed dogs have a lot more room to fit all those pups.
    • Gold Top Dog
    You know, I hear the large dog/small bitch thing all the time and I really wonder if anyone's ever studied it. In horses, it's pretty conclusively proven (with studies) that mating a large stallion to even a MUCH smaller mare is reasonably safe- yes, you can get a too-large foal, but that's not necessarily related to the stallion's size, much more commonly it's bad feeding practices on the mare owner's part.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I have found that the size of the puppy at birth, is less important than the size of the PELVIS that the bitch posesses. That is what is being downsized in smaller bitches and why problems can result. Combine a smaller pevis bitch with a smaller litter, where all pups will be larger because there ARE less...and problems arise.
    • Gold Top Dog
    To apply my theory to the horse...even a smallish horse must be able usually to support it's own weight. That is really going to limit how small a pelvis can be IMO, and keep it from getting ridiculously and functionally too small.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I think the normal range for a well bred Maltese pup from show breeders is closer to $1,500-$2000. Chrisman has the absolute cutest Maltese IMO, but I don't think I could ever afford those prices!!

Edited to add, I do think they're a very reputable breeder. They only have one puppy available right now that's a little older. I think part of the price is from campaigning their dogs at shows:
    http://www.chrismanmaltese.com/covers/index.html
    • Gold Top Dog
    yeah, I am noticing it is not easy to find Maltese puppies.  And every 'breeder' web pages seem to say something along the lines of "Maltese and Malti-poo puppies!  Teacups!"  Not exactly what I'm aiming for [&:].

Gotta wonder if those 'breeder's pups are better or worse than the pet shop pups.  I hope I find something soon as I won't be surprised if decides to buy from pet store on impulse.