ILP Breed

• Silver

ILP Breed

I have decided to register Charlie in the AKC as an ILP dog so we cna compete in agility and obediance.

I jsut dont know which breed to register him as. Which AKC breed do you guys think he is most like?
    I thought about Golden Retreiver but I just dont know. :\
    Here are his pictures:

• Gold Top Dog
    ILP is for unregistered purebred dogs, and Charley's not purebred. I don't think you could ILP him as a golden, to be honest. I think your best bet would be UKC or ASCA (or APDT) competition, which aren't restricted to purebred dogs. 
    • Silver
    I don't think you could ILP him as a golden, to be honest. I think your best bet would be UKC or ASCA (or APDT) competition, which aren't restricted to purebred dogs. 

Yes I have considered that but I live in American where UKC shows are uncommon but I might give ASCA a try. Our agility trainer told me I could register him as an ILP and she has seen other mutts compete using that registration. Besides I dont know for sure he sint purebred since I never met his parents, He might be some breed with really bad confirmation. Lol
    • Gold Top Dog
    My guess is he's 100% retriever.  50% Golden and 50% Lab.  He's cute as heck though!
    • Gold Top Dog
    You could always try and get him ILP'd as a golden.  If that doesn't work, USDAA, NADAC, CPE are all open to mixes.  And those trials are almost as many as AKC, depending on where in the US you live.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Kydafett
    Yes I have considered that but I live in American where UKC shows are uncommon but I might give ASCA a try. Our agility trainer told me I could register him as an ILP and she has seen other mutts compete using that registration. Besides I dont know for sure he sint purebred since I never met his parents, He might be some breed with really bad confirmation. Lol

She might have meant through the UKC.  They give an ILP# to the mixed breeds for performance events.  BTW- you know the UKC is an American registry, right? :)  They have shows around the US, just like the AKC, but most of their shows seem to be in the mid west and south.
    • Gold Top Dog
    You could always try and get him ILP'd as a golden. If that doesn't work, USDAA, NADAC, CPE are all open to mixes. And those trials are almost as many as AKC, depending on where in the US you live.

You know after the Willow incident they have really tightened up on the ILP rules.  I would be willing to bet that questional backgrounds will be looked at much closer.

• Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: agilebasenji

You could always try and get him ILP'd as a golden.  If that doesn't work, USDAA, NADAC, CPE are all open to mixes.  And those trials are almost as many as AKC, depending on where in the US you live.

Personaly, I don't think he'd pass as a purebred Golden.  As beautiful as he is, he looks to me like he might have some Siberian in him.

You know after the Willow incident they have really tightened up on the ILP rules...

Oh, I just have to ask, what Willow incident?  Enquiring minds want to know!  LOL
    • Gold Top Dog
    Oh, I just have to ask, what Willow incident? Enquiring minds want to know! LOL

I really don't want to get into it.  Anyone following AKC performance events knows what I am talking about.  Lets just say that the ILP form has a certification that you have never stated anywhere that the dog is anything other than the breed you are trying to register.

• Silver
    She might have meant through the UKC. They give an ILP# to the mixed breeds for performance events. BTW- you know the UKC is an American registry, right? :) They have shows around the US, just like the AKC, but most of their shows seem to be in the mid west and south.

Oh I must have gotten it confused with something else. I thought it was a european registry, dont know where I got that. heh
    I will look into some other registries, if he isnt accepted with teh AKC.

My guess is he's 100% retriever. 50% Golden and 50% Lab. He's cute as heck though!

Thankyou! Your Xerxes is also a very pretty dog. ;)

You know after the Willow incident they have really tightened up on the ILP rules. I would be willing to bet that questional backgrounds will be looked at much closer.

Our trainer also said something like that, too. That they were getting stricter with ILP registrations after where a dog got some good win but it looked nothing like his breed or something.

Thanks all for your replies! All I need now is to get a vet statement saying he is altered and I can send his papers in. ^-^ Im so nervous.

• Gold Top Dog
    You know after the Willow incident they have really tightened up on the ILP rules. I would be willing to bet that questional backgrounds will be looked at much closer.

Yep, either the AKC will say yes or no, but if the OP really wants to try it, no harm done.  I think it's about $25, so we're not talking about being out a huge amount of $$.  I do find it interesting Willow is still competing, but that really is off topic.[8|]  Personally I don't know why the AKC just doesn't require DNA testing for ILP's.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: timsdat
    I really don't want to get into it.  Anyone following AKC performance events knows what I am talking about.  Lets just say that the ILP form has a certification that you have never stated anywhere that the dog is anything other than the breed you are trying to register.

OK, I can appreciate that.  [:)
    • Gold Top Dog
    Because DNA is not there yet. AKC DNA is only for PARENTAGE meaning it can tell you if puppy c is derived from dogs A and B or if dog D was involved. [;)]

If you read the posted blurb/video clip a while back, of some woman on Good Morning America DNA'ing her mix dog and them saying her 35lbs wire coated merle coated dog was ;part BORZOI lmbo...you can see how very far there still is to go with regard to breed ID'ing, and DNA...

• Gold Top Dog
    If you read the posted blurb/video clip a while back, of some woman on Good Morning America DNA'ing her mix dog and them saying her 35lbs wire coated merle coated dog was part BORZOI lmbo...you can see how very far there still is to go with regard to breed ID'ing, and DNA...

I missed that.  I thought they'd done DNA maps for all/most of the AKC breeds.  Everything turned out distinctive except the Belgian breeds.  Big surprize as they're all the same breed everywhere else.  Hmmmm, I'll see if I can find that info and reread it.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Oh yes they mapped the breeds....BUT as far as id'ing them within a random sample? That's a whole nuther kettel of fish from what I see.

The dog owned by Viera that was on the show was clearly a schnauzer x aussie...which isn' what they told her I don't think...Poodle/ Aussie I think is what the "store" told her. Anyhow the sample she sent in came back Collie...Sheltie...and BORZOI! Can ya figure that one?

We all brainstormed here that the test almost solely looked for commonality....all 3 above breeds were mixed at various times...for various reasons...and also in with the Aussie..but for some reason the test didn't pick up the Aussie. As too the Poodle or Schnauzer? The test gave only the 3 breeds above...none of which carry that coat or haven't for almost an eternity.

It was a quite silly result...lol. I have also seen some shelter dogs tagged by the test that were quite plainly NOT correct. It like keys in on these odd never seen breeds...and totally misses the obvious ones....no idea why?