Any guesses?

• Bronze

Any guesses?

This is sandy. We were told when she was a puppy that she was full pit bull. However she is now tall lanky and skinny. You can see the pit when she is really excited and smiling. We think she may be part Whippet/Greyhound. And we've been told Weimeriner... Any other guesses?
    • Bronze
    another picture

• Gold Top Dog
    Her head says Pit. I see no Weim! I don't see how anyone could see Weim. Based off the abdominal tuck that is obvious in the picture, I'd say Greyhound too. What does she look like from the side and is she skinny like a Greyhound or muscly like the Pit? I can see she's muscly in the picture, but that's only the front part of her body. If she had Weim in her, her ears would probably be bigger, probably because with mixes you never know. I'd say she's got 2 breeds other than Pit though as neither Pits nor Greyhounds have that pointy of ears. I have seen Pits with their ears up so I know that's a possibililty.

Okay, now that you added that other picture while I was replying, the back says Greyhound. But I still think there's something else because of the ears.

Shiva
    • Gold Top Dog
    i've seen pits with ears like that, or worse.....
    but i am inclined to agree on the pit /grey crossing.
    a lot of people mix the two on purpose for hunting... it increases drive, and a willingness to run through any obstacle the prey can go through, such as rabbits.
    greys have such delicate skin, but a pit's got a tougher hide. if a rabbit runs into a thorn bush the dog can easily follow with minimal damage.... so the dog men say......
    if it is a cross between the two then you will bits of this parent, and bits of that parent.. such as the bully head and ears and the tucked up tummy and large rib cage of the grey.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Looks to me like Pit, Greyhound and possibly some ridgeback. Pretty dog! [:D]
    • Gold Top Dog
    whats her personality like?

• Gold Top Dog
    Wow!  I love her color!  I'd have to say pit/greyhound too.  She is beautiful!!  How much does she weigh?  She is so pretty!!!  I have another love now!!
    • Gold Top Dog
    but i am inclined to agree on the pit /grey crossing.
    a lot of people mix the two on purpose for hunting... it increases drive, and a willingness to run through any obstacle the prey can go through, such as rabbits.

Cross breeding a sighthound and a non-sighthound (usually terrier or herding breed) has been around for a long, long time.  Longer than many breeds.  Just google "lurcher" for more info.  And yea, I agree, you got a lurcher.  [;)]

FYI: if you do a sighthoundXsighthound cross, you get a longdog
    • Gold Top Dog
    yep [:D] i had had an infatuation with lurchers and long dogs for a quite a few years now. i first discovered them when i was in high school..... i read a book called Coyotes and Canines, which is about coursing coyotes in the Midwest using long dogs.
    unfortunately i happen to LIKE coyotes..... but it was an interesting book all the same.. if not for historical purposes.

i would do some reading up on lurchers, common personality types, as well as reading up on both breeds involved. it should help in the long run on how to provide the best care and enrichment for her.

• Bronze
    Thanks guys. She's a very active dog and would probably run all day if we let her. She weighs between 40 and 50 lbs. and loves to chase anything that crosses her path. I did a search on lurchers and well that sounds just like her. She gets restless if we don't let her out in the backyard every 2 hours lol. Thanks for all your help.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Oh my..she is just so beautiful! 
    Janet