Okay, since you guys like to guess breeds..

• Gold Top Dog

Okay, since you guys like to guess breeds..

Can anyone see anything other than Shepherd in Rio? We know he's not a purebred, we just have no idea what else is in him because he looks so much like a Shepherd. At 9 weeks he was almost as big as Dizzy, my fully grown Aussie. I saw him and his brother when I went to adopt one as they were the only 2 boys left. At 9 weeks his brother was bigger than him. His brother also had more white on him. Rio has a little white on his chin and chest. Rio also has dew claws on his back feet, but the only breed I know of that in is the Pyrenees, but there's no Pyr in him. I know there's more, but I don't know them. Also, there was one female from the litter left at the time. I didn't see her as I wanted a male so the shelter owner only brought out the 2 boys. After Rio was adopted his brother was as well so the shelter owner posted on her site on petfinder that there was one girl left and she was more silvery in color. The silver suggests Husky, but Rio's too big, or Malamute, which fits size wise, or even wolf. This shelter was in Mora, MN so up towards Duluth(up north towards Canada) where wolves are more common.

A puppy picture.

Tested the pic for size.

• Gold Top Dog
    He looks part Mastiff to me, but I'm terrible at this game. Does he have double dew claws in back, or just one? Double would be a good indicator of Pyr. One of my shelties has back dew claws, not that I think your dog is part sheltie, but there can be other breeds with rear dews.
    • Gold Top Dog
    More pictures, sorry, was having trouble with sizing. The first pic is 10 months the second is 8 months.

• Gold Top Dog
    He only has one back dew claw on each leg. Based off the fact that my mom has a Pyr, there's no Pyr whatsoever in Rio. Hmm, I don't see Mastiff, but doesn't mean it's not in there. If it was Mastiff though, where would his sister's silvery coloring have come from?
    • Gold Top Dog
    I don't see anything but shepherd personally. They come in a silver/sable color and even "blue"...sometimes their ears don't go up....and sometimes they are very, very big.

ETA: My BEAGLES are born with back dewclaws...so all that means is that the dogs breeder didn't remove them. MANY dogs are born with back dews.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I only see mastiff a tad around the muzzle. That and his size. I didn't know shepherds could get that big. How much does he weigh Shiva?
    • Gold Top Dog
    He's 105 pounds, and not even fully grown. He's only 1. Gina, he does look pure Shepherd, but one of his parents was a Shepherd mix. And I am aware that some Shepherds ears don't go up.  I constantly have people ask me what he's mixed with and I honestly have no idea except something big. I'm wondering if maybe there's some hound in him based off his muzzle. His jowls seem to big for a Shepherd. Black and tan Shepherds don't usually have white on them though, do they? I've never seen one with white anyway, only the white Shepherds.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Ok, he's not as quite big as I thought. Could be hound - much more common than mastiffs. Regardless the shepherd genes won out looks wise. Does he have any houndy behavior?
    • Gold Top Dog
    He's gorgeous! I don't know. He looks purebred to me, too.I think it's possible for a black and tan shepherd to have white on them, but i think it would be considered a flaw.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Yes white spotting is found. There's even some new "errm" breeder that has a new strain that is tricolor and is calling them "Panda Shepherds". Probably help more to see a pic or get a description of the mixed parent? How do you know the parent was mixed?

You know puppies can have different fathers within one litter so the silver bitch might've had a different daddy [;)
    • Gold Top Dog
    My first thought was Great Dane. He is absolutely gorgeous! His puppy pic looks JUST like a Shepherd except for the white. I've never seen that. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    That first picture really shouts Great Dane to me.  The square muzzle, and those big lips.  Hes beautiful no matter what though.
    • Silver
    Great Dane was the first thing I thought when I saw the first picture, but I've also seen Shepherds that have that "long" face. He sounds like a King Shepherd to me!! 105 lbs... geez
    • Gold Top Dog
    I have a friend with a purebred GSD who is easily more than 100 lbs.  He's a massive boy.  There are definitely big GSDs out there. 

I wouldn't be shocked if Rio has some dane, as other suggested.  The shape of his face/snout suggests some dane.
    • Gold Top Dog
    another thought about the silver--

Kaiser came from a litter that had black and tan, and sort of a sable silvery and black, and he was the only all black pup in the litter. His dad was traditional black and tan shep and his mom was more silvery.