Catahula leopard dog

• Gold Top Dog

Catahula leopard dog

Do you have a catahula?  Can you tell me about them, their breed etc.  I am looking to rescue one, maybe........
    • Silver
    I have owned one, but not currently. They are a working breed, and generally need a job. They make an amazing all-purpose farm dog, as well as great companions. I have met some that are very vocal, and some that aren't. And I have yet to hear bad health experiences from owners.

But I personally prefer the Catahoula Bulldog myself.[:)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    Never had one.  But my fiance used to work in this big shop and the person they shared the shop with would bring his catahoula in with him.  My fiance doesn't really like a lot of other dogs, other than ours.  So I was surprised when he started talking about how cool this dog was.  I found some info.  Don't know if you have seen it yet.

[linkhttp://donabney.com/]http://donabney.com/[/link]

[linkhttp://www.geocities.com/lcldoa/brochure.htm]http://www.geocities.com/lcldoa/brochure.htm[/link]

Let us know what happens.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thank you.  Well its a done deal!!  My DH is all set and picking her up tonight.  He already moved out my piano and set up her new (larger) crate and we oldered our canine fence new collar.

The owners are gathering all of her paperwork.  Apparently she is the pup from a litter from Catrina.  He mom (purebred) was a Catrina resucue.  She is registered with the dog registries (not AKC) but one of them, I will find out tonight.  My Vet has already assured us that since she is a Catrina resuce we will indore no fees this visit (shot updates and flea prevention and heart worm test) and reduced fees there after for the rest of her life!

I am want to be sure to introduce all my animals in the proper way, so I am scouring now for all the info I can find.

Anyone wants to make suggestions please do.  I know we are going across the street and intro them in a neutral area.  My Swissie is dog frienedly so expect no problems but want to do it right anyway.  She is really cute, I keep trying to post a photo but I can't get it to work.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I would just take introductions really slow...  Many dogs do best meeting on neutral grounds (like you said) and then being kept separated for a while (maybe the new dog can stay crated, or fenced off in part of the house for a couple days before they are expected to live together both with more freedom around the house)...  I am sure others will come along with more detail on this - good luck!!! 
    • Gold Top Dog
    I have a Catahoula and he's been great!  They are very smart dogs.  And the working dog thing is right- they like to feel like they have a job to do and like to stay busy with stuff. 

In terms of introducing him to your other pets, neutral ground is a safe bet.  There will be jealousy but I am sure you guys will feel it out well.
    • Bronze
    I've got a Catahoula, he's one of the best dogs I've ever had. Very intelligent, very social, and a real family dog. Hes a cuddler though (and a bed hog), so you have to get to the pillows first. lol
    Job are a must, atleast thats what I've noticed so far, we doa small ammount of hunting and a small ammount of agility and he has taken to both very very well. Good luck with yours [:D]

Luke as a puppy

Luke now, about 13 months old

• Gold Top Dog
    hi there fadeglory

i have been wondering about one of our dogs - she is a mix

she seems to have some aussie in her and she also looks like she may have soma catahoula in there as well (because of the striking leopard patches she has on her side that match many of the pictures i see of catahoula leopard dogs on the internet)

she also drewls a lot when she sniffs the ground like a hound dog (i mean, hard sniffs that really shake her neck fur)

what do ya think?

• Bronze
    Aw she's precious, and shes got my name right down to the i at the end.
    Anyways yeah I think she could have some in her, not just her coat but her eyes and muzzle area just strike me as familiar and Catahoula-y (lol)
    I would say thats its a great possibility that she is part somewhere in there.
    Very cute to, have to say it again[:D]
    -Mandi
    • Gold Top Dog
    We think Lucy is part Catahoula. She's a FABULOUS dog. VERY devoted, very bright. She is quite guardy and will let us know if anyone is at our house and even our camper, but I wouldn't say she's aggressive. She's fabulous with our rambunctious boys and hasn't met another dog that she didn't like (even though she's get frusrated and noisy when she is leashed and can't get to the other dog). Prey drive up they wazoo, but I've had pretty good luck and directing and controlling it (wih the exception of Osama bin Squirrel and his gang who Lucy is conviced is hatching a terrorist plot in the Red Maple.)
    • Gold Top Dog
    small world, ehhhh mandi?[:D]

i read through this [linkhttp://www.dogstuff.info/catahoula_profile.html]site[/link] and many of the temperment characteristics fit our dog, mandi.

she is quite the protector of her property when we are not around... but as soon as we show up, she calms down.

like yours, she loves the bed and she tends to think she owns us (natural dominance) so i have had to work with her to let her kow that i am the leader around here - yet, when i am gone, she steps up to the plate. on walks, she will challenge other dogs so i have had to modify her behavior here as well.

my wife says she has webbed feet - but unlike the description in thelink above, the webbing does not go to the toes.

she runs like a horse with extremely long strides - almost like greyhound - and she is fast and powerful.

the most striking thing is the black leopard patterns she exhibits - although she has a bushy tail and long hair - it is coarse hair. also, her eyes are two slightly different shades of brown, her left one being lighter than her right.

quite a loyal dog though...
    and she drewls like a hound dog when sniffing the ground - she sniffs with so much vigor, the hair on the back of her neck qivers as she sniffs.

the shape of her ears look aussie to me... and her long hair... which is why i think she may be part aussie, catahoula, and maybe even some german shepherd (she has really thick hair around the front of her neck)
    • Gold Top Dog
    Osama bin Squirrel

ohhhh hahahahaha - we can relate on that one!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Looking at Mandi, I see Aussie and hound maybe, although I never like to commit just from a photo.  But, merle Aussies that are from working stock often have pretty dark patches like that.   Here's Sequoyah - red merle from all working lines.  She's in a weird pose but you can see the dark patches on her little noggin.

• Gold Top Dog
    Lots of pictures of blue merle Aussies here:http://www.ashgi.org/color/blue_merles.htm

I wouldn't consider anything "non-Aussie-like" about the color of your dog. His head and your description sound like an English shepherd. I don't think they have merle though, so you'd be looking at a mix.
    • Gold Top Dog
    That blue merle with tan points in brookcove's link looks almost just like Mandi. The only thing off is that her snout looks slightly more houndy.