The "Not for Everyone" Breeds

• Gold Top Dog
    oh yes, ripped screens! That is oh to familiar. In fact, I don't have any screens in my bay window or my bedroom atm.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I've reinforced all mine with chicken wire. I need to keep the cats inside! LOL!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Have to agree with everything said about Akitas. Ogre is a HARD dog. I love him and wouldn't trade him for the world- I'm learning so, so much about dogs in general from him- but geez, I have never met a dog in my life that thinks like he does. I can't imagine how the average person- who has never researched dogs in their life and whose idea of training is yelling "SIT!" loudly and repeatedly until something happens- could ever possibly manage one. They are a time bomb in the wrong hands, IMO.

To add-

Pit Bulls

-Most are very active dogs. They are terriers, not bulldogs, and they have the personalities and drives that terriors do- at least, Culley does. They don't need the same amount of excercise that say, a BC would- but they're definitely not couch potatoes.

-Prey drive. I have seen some pits that are fine with small animals, but I know just as many that aren't. Mine isn't. If it's furry and it moves, he chases. Luckily another thing about pit bulls is that most of them LIVE to please humans, and are very trainable- I managed to put a flawless recall on Culley in about 2 training sessions, and I would not consider myself a gifted trainer by any means. He'll chase things, but he'll also turn on a dime the INSTANT I call him back to me.

- Dog aggression. This I think is the biggest thing- having been bred for a time to fight other dogs, they can, and usually are, very dog aggressive. Pits can NEVER be trusted alone around other dogs. Ever, ever, ever. If you own a pit and other dogs, you must be constantly vigilant. Pits often decide very suddenly that they don't like other dogs even if they've gotten along fine with them their whole lives up until that point. Play times with other dogs must be supervised. No dog parks, ever. No off-leash. And, if you're not home and have multiple dogs, you must have a way to keep them seperated.

-Stigma. Pit bulls are obviously a much maligned breed, and not everyone wants to deal with being publicly shunned whenever they go out with their dog. You must be prepared for shreiking parents to scoop up their children and run, comments that you should have your "vicious" dog killed, and the like. Very few people will react positively to your dog- it's a very unfortunate aspect of owning the breed. Some vet clinics, groomers, and boarding facilities will not accept pit bulls. And, because of their stigma, behavior that people would accept from a lab, most people would not accept from a pit- if a lab jumps up on a person, that person is unlikely to freak out about it. If a pit bull does it, the same person is likely to file a lawsuit. For that reason, your dog must be PERFECTLY trained, and PERFECTLY behaved in public- your dog must always be an ambassador for the breed, and it can definitely be a hassle to have to go into the "Pit bulls are good dogs" speil every time you're out with your dog in public. In my experience, pleasant, hassle free outings don't happen...at least here.

-BSL. Many cities, towns, provinces, and countries have banned the ownership of pit bulls and BSL is spreading like a virus. You may, at some point, have to fight BSL in your own town. Would you be willing to pack up and move should the ACO come knocking to kill your dog?

Pit bulls are EXCELLENT dogs- but I would definitely list them among the breeds that aren't for everyone. Unfortunately, it is more because of human stigma than any actual problems with the breed.

• Gold Top Dog
    Corgis- both Cardigan and Pembroke- are definately not dogs for everyone.

If you want a small dog because you think it will be less exercise and training needed, these are NOT the breeds for you. Corgis aren't a small dog. Corgis are a large dog (with full size teeth and full-size jaw power that can do full-size damage) with no legs.

They shed copiously and more or less year round. While they're generally good with other pets, they need training to get that way.

Well-trained, socialized corgis are fantastic, but unsocialized and untrained corgis can be some of the MOST obnoxious dogs out there, with a tendency to be mouthy, snappy, and overconfident.

(Conversely? I think collies are one of the best herding breeds for a first-time dog owner.)

Cait
    • Bronze
    They need extensive socialization as puppies, and into adulthood. They are brilliant, and versatile, but without proper socialization, training, and "a job to do"

What kind of jobs do you give them?
    • Bronze
    LOL  There are lots of dog breeds that "I" would not want to own.  Most of the ones I love are the kind they tell first time dog owners not to get.
    I love most of the protection breeds but don't think that they are for everyone.  I never tell people to get small dogs cause they are easier to handle because I don't believe that is true. 
    When friends ask me what kind of dog they should get, I tell them to go to the pound and pick out a dog that is a true mutt.  In my little world they are the best.
    • Silver
    The more times and louder you yell sit the more likely an akita will ignore you. [&:]  They don't fall for bravado and they sure don't care if your getting angry or frustrated.  It just means they won and so should ignore you.

The screen door now only has a screen on the top and slides down from the top instead of the bottom.
    • Gold Top Dog
    The more times and louder you yell sit the more likely an akita will ignore you. [&:]  They don't fall for bravado and they sure don't care if your getting angry or frustrated.  It just means they won and so should ignore you.

My point exactly. Harsh training methods don't work on Akitas- Akita's don't do what you say for the sake of doing what you say. They're very "rub my back and I'll rub yours" types of dogs. They keep score and do NOT forget what are percieved as slights against them. They're the only dogs I've ever met who hold grudges and seek revenge...I've seen Ogre do it more than once.
    • Silver
    Hello everyone! right now my dog is rottweiler, he is my 1st dog.. before buying him many people were against this idea.. but i still bought it. now my rottweiler is 2 years old, even now many people say that they are very aggressive, yes i believe.. but i still love him.. yes my rottweiler is very aggressive with other dogs and with some people..

• Silver
    why will Akita ignore me? Are you talkin' bout Akita Inu or something esle???
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: rottweiler4life

why will Akita ignore me? Are you talkin' bout Akita Inu or something esle???

Do you mean Shiba Inu?

I think the Akita owners are saying that the breed does not have a particular desire to please the human because they are very independent-minded dogs.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'm not positive, but i think akita inu is the "real" name
    • Gold Top Dog
    Inu is Japanese for "dog" so all the Japanese breeds have "Inu" in their names: Akita Inu, Shiba Inu, Tosa Inu, etc....
    • Gold Top Dog
    Well, I've got to put in a word for the Border Collie of course. Most herding breeds that still retain a lot of their working ability fit into the "not for everyone" category.

It's not just the "needs a job" thing. Working livestock requires several characteristics that need some understanding and management in the suburban environment. Reactivity, hair trigger reflexes, high energy levels, quick problem solving skills (almost never a GOOD thing when talking about a dog in a house or locked in the backyard!), and most of all - that overwhelming urge to DO something about SOMETHING.

Herding dogs are big time control freaks. You've not only got to teach such dogs that this is your job but also this ISN'T your job. [:D]

Most people get such dogs thinking they will be easy to train, but don't realize that they are easy to train, yes, but require constant training because they do learn so fast and quickly get bored with the basics. It's like teaching a violin child prodigy the scales and expecting him or her to be happy with that. "But wow, she learned the scales so fast - show them how well you do the scales, Matilda!"

Edited for formatting error
    • Gold Top Dog
    German shepherds-i don't really recommend them for everyone. The biggest thing i've learned about GSDs are that they need EXTENSIVE socialization. I feel like i did a great job on socializing Kaiser, but apparently it wasn't enough. He is terrified of children, but likes almost everyone else--there's been like 1 or 2 cases where he's been nervous around others.

I don't think most people realize how energetic GSDs are! I sure didn't! no kidding, Kaiser can go all day long. It amazes me that after we go on a run together, he will come home and play ball or wrestle with Wyatt. He's pretty good in the house now, but he used to be pretty rambunctious indoors.

GSDs are extremely strong, too! Kaiser has a little bit of leash aggression, and if i wasn't strong i don't think i could hold him back when he lunges.

Drive! whoa, Kaiser will chase anything that runs-including humans! he's also non-stop with the ball.

GSDs still have a pretty negative rep too, which is a lot to deal with sometimes.

Rhodesian Ridgebacks are pretty easy dogs overall. I would, however, recommend them to a more experienced owner. RRs can be hardheaded and stubborn-making them harder to train than most. They also have a pretty high prey drive, and amazing eye sight. not if, but WHEN they see that rabbit--they're gone. No question about it.