The "Not for Everyone" Breeds

• Gold Top Dog

The "Not for Everyone" Breeds

I thought this might be a helpful place for those of us who own "not for everyone" breeds to post our breed, and the reason why newbies might want to investigate thoroughly before getting one.

Australian Shepherd
    These are dogs with "strong herding and guarding" tendencies.  They need extensive socialization as puppies, and into adulthood.  They are brilliant, and versatile, but without proper socialization, training, and "a job to do", they are too much dog for most beginners.  If you don't find a job for them, they may decide to make one up.  That could include herding your children (and these are cattle dogs, remember - if they don't get the desired reaction from the kid with a look, or a move, they may decide to do it with a nip), or any one of a number of doggy-entertaining activities that won't be so entertaining to you.  Aussies have a natural "reserve" with strangers.  That ranges anywhere from being simply aloof, to truly not being "everyone's friend".   The Aussie gene pool is quite small, and eye disease, epilepsy and hip dysplasia are some of the things to watch out for.  Because of this, it's not the breed you ever, ever want to buy unseen on the Internet, from a byb, or from a pet store.  Do your homework and find a responsible breeder.  You want a five generation pedigree - and go to the OFA, PennHip, and CERF sites to check the clearances on the listed dogs.  You also want a breeder who will take the pup back at any time during its life if you can no longer care for it, not just a 72 hour guarantee and a vet's "health certificate" - that is NOT the same as a guarantee against genetic defects.  You also want to insure that your breeder understands the dangers of merle to merle breeding (deafness runs in the breed, too - not that you can't train a deaf dog, you certainly can, but it is harder for an owner who has not trained that many dogs before). 
    This is a breed that is always learning, and very quick on the uptake.  For newbie trainers, though, that can be a drawback, since they can learn bad habits quickly as well.  On the plus side, they are a snap to housetrain. 
    A walk around the block isn't enough for these guys.  They need physical and mental stimulation. 

http://www.asca.org/Finding+an+Aussie/Is+an+Aussie+for+You
    http://www.lizpalika.com/rightdog.html
    http://aussierescue.org/
    • Gold Top Dog
    some say my breed (american bulldog) is a not for first time owners dog. i dont know if i agree with that status totally. yeah they arent for EVERYONE. it takes a certain personality to live with a bulldog. which means... if you cant keep your kids in line then you cant control this dog. you've just about got to be a drill sarge. and even then they will test you on how serious you are and if you REALLY mean that recall command.
    i dont recommend adopting adult Ambulls either unless you have experience with them already. Ben has tested my limits many times. sometimes he just seems too stoopid to move. when he freezes up he wont move for a long time. there was one day that he planted himself in the backyard (no shelter from elements) you couldnt lead him, couldnt coax him... my husband gave up and just picked him up and carried him to shelter (it was RAINING!!) but Ben is a damaged personality.... again.. a mentally damaged Ambull is not the dog for most people, especially for a first time owner.. and that is likely what you will find in a shelter. not always, no. there is a story for every dog.... but not always worth the risk unless you adopt from a foster family who knows the quirks.
    and unlike some other popular breeds... an Ambull has two different standards. and they are night and day in health and temper.
    my experience is with the Scott/Williamson/Painter type... which i prefer... but can also be more of a handfull and is more prey driven than the Johnson dogs. the difference is Scott = working dog, Johnson = yard orniment
    http://www.bulldoginformation.com/american-bulldog.html it just depends what you want. do you NEED a guard dog and PROTECTOR? because they WILL protect whether you like it or not. but one is more inclined to get physical than the other. and one is MORE physical than the other.... some dogs drop over sideways from exhaustion because of facial structure and a tendency to gain too much weight.... the other is on "warp speed" in just about everything they do.... the nice thing about them is when you stop ..they stop with you. when you get up, they get up. if you leave the room they'll follow (which is annoying when you want some privacy in the bathroom) Kaydee honours the invisible fence for the most part, but if she sees me walking down the road or over to the neighbours she charges right through it to follow me.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Akitas:

These are LARGE and powerful dogs that can have quite marked prey, hunt, wander, drives and animal/dog aggression issues. They do not always feel they need or require human influence to make decisions and that can be bad at times, good at other times. They learn extremely quickly, but bore of rote obedience equally quickly, and they are not always motivated much by food or praise which can make training a bit difficult.

Not much more needs to be said...but just to add to the "why not?"

1. They shed intensely.
    2. They tend to bond tightly to their own families and are wary of strangers. Great for people wanting that, and very bad for people who live outgoing lifestyles or have kids that have numerous friends and social functions often.
    3. They can have health issues that can be expensive to diagnose and treat.
    4. Finding a good breeder can be difficult in some areas.
    5. They need their personal space and clingy lovey behavior by children or adults they do not know extremely well is not always wise.
    • Silver
    Hi guys, I didn't understand.. what is this post about?! Are you talking about seriouse/dangerous breeds, or what? [>:] [&:]
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: rottweiler4life

Hi guys, I didn't understand.. what is this post about?! Are you talking about seriouse/dangerous breeds, or what? [>:] [&:]

No, they're talking about the dogs they own/owned that are breeds that aren't for everyone. Not aggressive or dangerous breeds. Just dogs that aren't for people who don't know anything about dogs or had dogs when they were younger and are getting their first dog. This is a "why they might not be good for beginners" thread, that's how I see it.

Shiva
    • Gold Top Dog
    While I wouldn't necissarily dissuade a first-time owner from getting a coonhound because they are in many ways delightful, friendly, awesome dogs, they are not for everyone. As someone in another thread remarked, the hounds tend to have their own special worldview and I'd add that that worldview includes them as the center of the universe, not you. If you're okay with that and are a first-time owner, by all means get a coonhound. But you have to understand what their unique hound worldview means for life with them:

1. Putting a reliable recall on a coonhound is a serious feat that takes dedication and work. Given that this probably the most important thing you can ever teach for the safety of your dog, this is not a small issue.
    2. Obedience training a coonhound involves pretty enormous stores of patience, humor and good vibes (and treats).
    3. A coonhound will not listen to and respect you just for being you. You have to prove to him that you're worth liking and respecting, and that usually involves a lot of good stuff flowing the dog's way.
    4. Being unpleasant and bullying is not the way to win a coonhound's heart. Unlike some dogs who have that "Thank you sir may I have another?" attitude towards being pushed around, a coonhound will simply walk away and ignore you until you can be a bit more respectful to His Coonhoundship.
    5. Prey drive. A coonhound owner has to understand that their hound will always and forever be a hunter first and foremost, even if his primary job at home is holding down the couch.

On the up side, coonhounds are pack hunters and generally have no problem being around other dogs and all sorts of people. Coonies also tend to be one of the working breeds that have an "off switch". They needn't always be on duty. In your house with no fuzzy prey animals around, they can nap with the best of them. Their independence also has an up-side as they generally don't need to be attached to your hip 24/7. They can take care of themselves just fine (which of course also means that they have no problem helping themselves to things that they want, such as the sandwhich you just made and put on your counter and left alone to answer the phone).

So, not necissarily a bad dog for novice owners, but definately not a dog for everyone. Not a dog for people who want a lassie-style ever-loyal hanging-on-your-every-word slavishly-devoted kind of dog.
    • Gold Top Dog
    1. Putting a reliable recall on a coonhound is a serious feat that takes dedication and work. Given that this probably the most important thing you can ever teach for the safety of your dog, this is not a small issue.
    2. Obedience training a coonhound involves pretty enormous stores of patience, humor and good vibes (and treats).
    3. A coonhound will not listen to and respect you just for being you. You have to prove to him that you're worth liking and respecting, and that usually involves a lot of good stuff flowing the dog's way.
    4. Being unpleasant and bullying is not the way to win a coonhound's heart. Unlike some dogs who have that "Thank you sir may I have another?" attitude towards being pushed around, a coonhound will simply walk away and ignore you until you can be a bit more respectful to His Coonhoundship.
    5. Prey drive. A coonhound owner has to understand that their hound will always and forever be a hunter first and foremost, even if his primary job at home is holding down the couch.

We fostered a Walker hound and I agree with every bit of this. I don't know if he was unusual, but he required a very long off leash exercise period (minimum hour, two much better) before the off switch kicked in and before he'd settle down enough to start learning, much less snooze the day away. "Lazy hound" was soooo inappropriate.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Energy levels vary among individuals/lines with the coonhounds, and to some extent vary among the coonhound breeds. I think the black and tan has the reputation for being the most mellow but you can definately get individuals who, especially when they are younger, need a lot of exercise and also a lot of mental stimulation. We hit the dog lottery in that if Marlowe were any more mellow he'd slip in to a coma, but I have definatley heard some tales. They usually involve redbones and walkers. [:D] I don't know about your foster, but when Marlowe gets off-leash exercise he isn't so much running at top speed for an hour but rather tracking and using his brain and in constant steady motion with his nose to the ground. When I have less time to give him physical exercise, I try to make up for that by letting him track on-leash and allowing him to sniff and puzzle out the smells he finds to get him at least a brain work-out.
    • Silver
    I'd have to agree with the akita and say that applies to pretty much all the japanese breeds.  They have a tendency to be very prey driven, independent, occasionally stubborn, and wary dogs.  Teaching them to come is a real excercise in patience and creativity.  There's no treat or toy on this earth that remains more interesting than even some bird that just landed 500' away outside the window or on the other side of the fence.  It lasts about 5 treats and they want something else or have just gotten tired of listening to you.  Also leaping up and down while waving your arms and screaming might get you an ear flick before they continue chasing down that bird. 

No matter how much you socialize them they probably will never run up to a stranger and greet them.  They may get over growling and barking(note the may) but they will likely hold their ground while looking the person over before approaching rather cautiously to say hello.  If they bother to pay the person any attention at all. 

They will try to dominate every dog and person that comes in contact with them including their owners.  At 4months old my akita decided my room needed protecting from everyone including my mom and my cat.  She would growl at my mom for entering the room and pounce on the cat.  At nearing 7months old she rules my new house and none of the other animals can move from room to room without her permission.  She can halt the cat at the doorway with a look while still laying stretched out on the floor.  Not a good group of dogs for any timid or inexperienced owners.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I guess I don't think that any breed is for everyone.  I got Sally the pit bull first, and anfter a year and a half was pretty confident that I knew what I was doing with dogs.  However, only after getting Jack the lab (a breed that is often recommended for the first time dog owner) did I realize how very little I knew about dogs......
    • Gold Top Dog
    Husky:

1. They are incredible escape artists. Any boundary (fence, door, window, gate, etc) is seen as a challenge to a husky. Give a husky a 10 acre fenced in yard and that husky will walk the perimeter looking for a way out.

2. They have no off leash reliability. Even the best trained champion obediance husky will take advantage of an off leash situation.

3. They live to run and have an endless amount of energy and stamina. Running 10+ miles is nothing to an average husky so if you aren't willing to run the dog ALOT, a husky is not for you.

4. If a husky doesn't get the exercise and stimulation it needs it will be desctructive - just like any dog but huskies tend to have a flare for damage.

5. Huskies are natural diggers. They dig in the summer to get cool and in the winter to get warm. So, if you like your grass and landscaping, a husky isn't for you.

6. They shed, of course. A lot. Another issue that comes with their coats, that most people don't think about is that they are hard to bathe. Their coats are designed to be super insulating. So, it takes a lot of effort to get a husky fully wet enough to give it a bath. Water just runs off the top coat without penetrating underneath (where the smell lingers!)

7. They aren't loyal to anyone. They'll happily go to any stranger for love, food and affection.

8. They can outsmart you.

• Gold Top Dog
    true Sally. people can kinda predict a dog's personality by their breed....but not always.  very rarely these days infact.
    many factors go into it as well. the dog's past, age,health, mental stability, training etc.
    my grand dad had a squirrel and coon hunting chihuahua that would do her best to keep up with the pack of hounds (a mixed bag of beagles and walkers and curs) the only thing "chihuahua"like about her was she didnt like to walk on wet grass in the morning... the would high step and top toe across the wet lawn... and she didnt much like kids... the resemblance to standard ended right there.

a lot of people these days say that labs are spazz's... hyper active and basket cases... my husband and i would tend to agree with that but i have met a couple that were laid back, easy going and polite... i dont know if it had anything to do with their working dog status or not. but if i had met those two before meeting my lab, or before my husband got his lab... our opinions would say that labs ARE the best first time dog.

same for cocker spaniels. my ex boss had two.. male and female (yeah breeders, except the stud was a dud - good thing too)
    the female was sweet, loving, cuddly, out going... the best example of American Cocker.. but the male was a rotten tempered, bit the hand that feeds you, pee on your leg, ugly butt head....
    i could go on for days with all the different breeds i've known and have owned. my husband refuses to allow a doberman OR a chow to come home with us.... but those were my favourites growing up as a kid....along with the bulldogs... i managed to get him to give in with getting a bulldog.. so maybe some day i can have a doberman again..and a chow... we'll see.. lol
    • Silver
    Some breeds it really depends on breeding.  I would not suggest alot of labs for a beginner because the dogs act completely mental.  Then again there are just as many if not more labs that I would suggest for a beginner because they have a good temperament.  There are a few aussie sheps I would recommend for certain situations with a person that had limited dog experience and there are 4 times as many that I wouldn't.  There are no akitas that I would recommend for a beginner.  Some breeds don't have as much standard as other breeds and there are exceptions to every rule.  Some breeds though are just generally a bad idea for anyone that doesn't have plenty of dog experience unless through some dumb luck they get one of those odd exceptions.  You're also not really going to find as much variation amongst akitas as you are amongst labs partially because they just aren't as common and not as many different lines have been bred.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I posted this in the "Breed Information" thread, but it's appropriate here as well.

Pharaoh Hounds are NOT for everyone.  In fact they aren't for 99% of dog people-they're not domesticated in the sense that a GR or a GSD or a Westie is domesticated.  They're domesticated in the way that an akita is domesticated...they work with humans, not for humans.

Pharaoh hound prey drive is somewhat variable from dog to dog.  But be aware that other "high prey drive" dogs don't compare.  A PH is ALWAYS on the hunt. 

A Pharaoh hound will NOT stay in the yard.

A Pharaoh WILL run off.

What you consider high drive, is about 1/2 drive for a PH.

PH's need alot of exercise.  ALOT.  They need to be given the opportunity to run every day.

Are they capable of running alongside a bike?  Yes.  From about the age of 24 months on, provided they are worked up to it.  I'm sure that they would welcome the chance to run for several miles every other day or so.

Do they make good pets?  Yes and no.  If you want a dog with the intelligence of a 5 year old child, the attitude of a teenager, prone to barking loudly and often, and if you don't expect a dog that will blindly follow you-then yes, they make great pets.  However, if you think you are always right and the dog should obey you unquestioningly then NO.

PHs are smart but stubborn.  And they aren't really completely domesticated.  They are beautiful to look at but hard to live with.  (And this is from someone that absolutely adores these dogs.)

ETA:

In a multi dog household, pharaohs will rise to be the dominant dog.  It will happen in ways that you won't even recognize, they are rarely aggressive in order to achieve their ascent, but the bitches will kill to keep the status. 

The males are serious most of the time but like to have fun.  The bitches, well, they call them that for a reason; they are deadly serious and won't tolerate something so simple as an untoward glance from other dogs in their pack.  Neither sex will walk away from conflict-doesn't matter the size of the other dog.

Though they appear, at first glance, like a greyhound, pharaoh hounds are built to run and run and run.  The typical PH in Malta will go rabbit hunting a couple of times a week-from dusk until dawn.  They are tireless in pursuit of game.  The more they run the faster they get.  Since they have the flat muscle, rather than the round muscle of the greys or whippets they have super endurance. 

Also know that these dogs are FAST.  35-40 mph fast!  And they can be at full speed within about 5 strides. 

• Gold Top Dog
    I'd like to ditto everything Jewlieee posted, and I'd like to add these sites:

http://www.siberescue.com/Breed_Info/BPersonality.html
    http://www.homelesshusky.com
    http://www.gimpydogs.com/gimpystuff/trust.html

I think most people are attracted to huskies for their looks. I hear it all the time, "Ooohh, they're soo beautiful!" Yeah, maybe, but they sure don't act beautiful! I always make sure to tell people how nuts my dogs can be. I totally see why so many end up in shelters.

You have to be able to appreciate their nutty characteristics and admire them for their joie de vivre. You also need to have a sense of humor. [:D]

Let me illustrate. The brown dog pictured has successfully completed two levels of obedience class and is starting agility on Friday.
    This was taken with a timer. I was trying to get a nice photo of us in the garden:

When I went inside to get more training treats:

This is a custom doggy door someone made after they escaped from their crate:

Playing. Note the tail grabbing:

If there's mud, he will find it:

My husband and I love this dog and all his antics. We wish we could clone him. LOL! We would be very upset if he were to STOP acting like that!