sheltie owners

• Silver

sheltie owners

Hi .. are there any sheltie owners out there?  I have just looked down the listings and can't see any. Brie is now 11 weeks and goes for her 2nd jab on Wednesday.  I am going to take her to my daughter this pm who has a Leonburger, hope to take some good pictures.

• Gold Top Dog
    Hi there. I have two shelties and DH and I both had them growing up. They are really great dogs, super smart. My current ones are six months old and have been a breeze to train...sneaky though.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I have 2 and my GF has 2 also.  Mine are Sprite and Timmy.  They are 8 and 6.

• Gold Top Dog
    I grew up with a Sheltie. She was an amazing dog, and I really miss her. She died about 4 years ago.

Edit to brag with pictures :)

• Gold Top Dog
    My first dog as an adult was a Sheltie, he was the love of my life.   He passed away last year at the ripe old age of 14 1/2.  I tried so hard to find another Sheltie that was from a RESPONSIBLE breeder, but all the good ones are very expensive.  So I looked in shelters for one that needed a home, but alas every Sheltie in this area went to a Sheltie rescue that made it almost impossible to adopt one, even though I was a responsible Sheltie owner for 15 years.

Anyways, here he is at age 11, and I miss him terribly:

• Gold Top Dog
    Sorry for getting off topic...Ya know, 2Aussies, I had the same experience trying to adopt an adult sheltie recently. They seem to all end up in rescues in my area too which is good I guess, but I was rejected by two different rescues, one saying they rarely adopt to families with kids???, and one for unknown reasons, even though I have two shelties already and DH and I are both experienced with herding breeds. *shrug* Maybe they thought three was too many or my current ones were too young? I wanted their ages to be staggered, which was why I wanted an adult, but now I have decided to wait two or three years and get another puppy from a breeder.
    • Silver
    Hi! I'm a Sheltie owner too!  This is actually my first Sheltie.  My husband and I have always had chocolate Labs and currently own a 5 yr old male along with my Sheltie. 

My Sheltie is 4 years old now and he's so much fun.  He fetches tennis balls and goes with me morning & night to feed my horses.  He tries to herd them from his side of the fence.  It's his daily thing.  He rides with me (temperature permitting) when I do errands and even goes to work with me once in a while.  At the moment, he's sleeping at my feet!  I would love to have another one but I don't know if my husband would agree to it.  He loves my dog but some of his "quirks" get on his nerves as well as his barking.  He's not as bad at barking as some Shelties but he can raise the roof.  I'd love to have a female blue merle or bi-black.  Maybe one day!
    • Bronze
    Hi,
    I have a sheltie, she is 7 years old now and we brought her home when she was 8 weeks old.  She is a wonderful dog and has been my best friend through the toughest times in my life. We also had an older male that we adopted from the county kennel who was wonderful, even though he passed after only being with us a year.  (He was about 12 when we got him and around 13 when he left us.) I have tried to find another shelties to add to our family, through rescue/fostering, but there aren't any that fit like Joe and Hunter.  There is something special about both of them.  We recently got a maltese puppy and he seems to fit the family, I think it depends on the personality of the dog for me. 
    • Gold Top Dog

[blockquote]
    [blockquote]
    [blockquote]
    [blockquote]
    I have two shelties right now that I grew up with.  I had another one growing up.   Both of mine are seniors- eleven years old.

[linkhttp://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h126/Gloriedogz/Now/?action=view¤t=treyface.jpg]http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h126/Gloriedogz/Now/?action=view¤t=treyface.jpg[/link]

Trey

and Nikki

I love the breed- one of my favorites.  Even though, I 've become more involved with papillons now, shelties will hold a dear place in my heart as they were my absolute best friends during my childhood.  I think they make such great family dogs. 

[/blockquote][/blockquote][/blockquote][/blockquote]
    • Gold Top Dog
    2shelties, I was rejected because I don't have a fenced in yard.  They even said they would adopt to families without fenced yards with the right circumstances (I couldn't figure out what that was!) but people with fenced yards will always take priority.  I think every shelter has their own stick in the mud policy, and the fenced yard was theirs.  I just couldn't convince them that I was a good Sheltie owner, even with my 15 years experience!!  I was really heartbroken.

There also is an Aussie rescue in this area so I was afraid I couldn't find any Aussies either, but I scoured Petfinder on a daily basis until I found the two I have now.  My dark blue merle boy on the right I was told was an Aussie mix, and as a puppy he looked more so.  Now that he's all grown up I think he's definitely Border Collie and something else.  He has that Border Collie stalk and keen eye.  He has a long, lankier body & legs and carries his tail more like a BC, slightly curled.  The female on the left I was also told was an Aussie mix, but I actually think I lucked out and got a purebred (backyard bred I'm sure, but still purebred).  I need to update my profile with recent pictures, she's pretty much grown up but looks all Aussie without a docked tail.

I'm very happy with my ;pups, but I still miss have a Sheltie around the house!
    • Gold Top Dog
    I really like Aussies too, I have looked at a couple on petfinder. As luck would have it, I came across an almost purebred, or else very badly bred, sheltie at the humane society. They have already gotten back to me on my application, saying they are processing it and whatnot, and I should know by Friday whether I am approved. I don't have a fenced yard either, though DH is going to try to fence it himself when the weather cools down, so that may be part of my problem too. At any rate, I have not been flat out rejected this time (yet) so that is a good sign I think.