Any Belgian shepherd people here?

• Silver

Any Belgian shepherd people here?

I'm in the process of researching Belgians as a breed I'm really interested in getting in the future.  As always, I'm attracted to the looks of the dog, then I research the rest.  I love the Tervurens but am leaning (strongly) towards the Groenendaels.

I've researched them on the internet and watched them at the dog shows.  I've seen a few that turned me off the breed so much I almost quit looking at them and went back to looking at German Shepherds, but then I saw a few whose temperaments I loved and talked to their breeder.

What I really want to know is what they're like to live with.  I know about their exercise requirements and how smart they are.  I'm more concerned with whether or not this is a dog who's "up" all the time or will they relax?  Can you take them, with the proviso that they've been socialized, to a dog park and feel the other dogs there are safe?

I'd appreciate any info from anyone with Belgians!  Thanks!
    • Gold Top Dog
    I have a Malinois that we got from Mal rescue.  She's great with other dogs, but that was the top requirement we had when we contacted rescue.  (I had 2 basenjis when we were looking; I now have 2.5 basenjis.)  I've had friends bring their dogs to my house and she's great with all of them - terriers to Berners.  She does tend to "patrol" the house a lot, but will go lay down when told.  At least for a little while.  She does have her one person (DH) but she does tend to obey me a little better since I work with her more.  High prey drive (nothing new to you if you have greythounds), but this is tempered with a high desire to please (that might be new if you have just had hounds).  I do have to watch her a bit with strangers if we're home; less so if we're at the dog show.  They are a high energy breed and will be more active inside than your greyt's.  And you will probably want to have a job for them - obedience, agility, etc.  Play is generally more interactive with you compared to the hounds.  Ours loves to retrieve her ball (the bigger the ball, the better) and loves to be chased by the basenjis.  This makes our job of exercising her very easy.  Does any of that help?  I find the mal's to be a little bolder compared to the terv's and groen's. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    Should have added:

Here's ours playing catch with snowballs in the agility yard and one with the 1/2 a basenji.  (She's 6 months old, younger there, so she doesn't count as a full dog)

• Silver
    Reply to agile basenji:

Yes it helps and thanks for the info.  Love your picture by the way. 

From what I've read, the malinois are better kept more as working dogs.  When I get one, his main job will be as a companion, but I miss showing more than I can say, so he'd be shown, as well as put into obedience, possibly agility and I've always been interested in tracking.  I had a bearded collie who was an amazing dog  -  the best thing I've ever done with any dog was the herding trials with him.  He was incredibly exciting - that's something I'd want to do a bit of as well.

My sight hounds, afghans and greyhounds especially, have all been very fast learners, love to please, but, like all smart dogs, they get bored quickly, but I've done some obedience with all of them.  They really enjoy it, but only up to a point, whereas the beardie could keep going as long as you were willing.  I'd expect a Belgian to be a lot like a beardie, except for the aloofness, and much more protection/guarding instinct.

Do you have photos of yours?  I'd love to see one if you do.  Thanks again.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I also have a rescue Malinois. He's acceptable with other dogs but takes a while to make friends. With him, it was a waste of time going to the dog park because he wanted to interact with me, not with other dogs. He does play with our two other dogs, but it took a little while. He's only had a problem with one other dog (a boxer that boxed him to initiate play). Floyd would be very happy with a world where he was the only dog and the only humans were DH & me, but he does OK with a less than perfect world.

As long as he gets some off leash exercise in the morning, he's OK with either being outside playing with the other dogs, running around the yard with sticks etc., or crashing inside. Exercise is pretty easy because he's always more than willing to play ball and is reliable off leash. When we go somewhere off leash he runs ahead a bit then comes back and circles me automatically. I almost never have to call him.  When I've been sick, he's been the one that will stay on the bed all day long. He loves to cuddle and to be massaged.

I don't trust him with cats or small children. Raising one from puppyhood might be a different story.

One downside is that Floyd eats and eats and eats. At seven or more years of age, he still eats almost twice what my other two dogs of similar size eat. Since I do home cooked with mostly organic, it's a big commitment of both time and money.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I have a terv (now neutered dog) and an intact mal bitch.... The reality is the personalities have more to do with the lines bred than the "breed" distinctions in AKC... anywhere else in the world they are varieties.

Most belgians are alert and reactive.  They can be taught discrimination, descretion appears to be more innate.  The level of activity varies as much from animal to animal as it does to variety... Generally, Laekens are the reported to be the most "natural" and close to the original roots.  They have been reported to be more "stubborn".  Long coated dogs (regardless of color) have been some times reported to be more likely to have temperment issues (shyness, fear based behaviors).  Mals are often higher drive (but I know plenty high drive long coat dogs).  There is a REAL difference between "show" kennels and "working" kennels in Malinois.  Again this is more an issue of lines than anything else.

You can get different coats in the same litter.

My mal bitch is very high drive but does have an off switch... It is a very sensitive off switch (as is my tervs) they are ready for action at a moments notice.

Both my dogs herd as well as compete in various other dog sport.

Check out the club websites for additional information.  The education link on the ABTC has a marvelous picture "tutorial" illustration of the breed standard.

With correct coats, there is minimal coat care compared to a beardie.  They are less "silly" than a beardie.

Dess and Nora are both represented [linkhttp://forum.dog.com/asp/m.asp?m=393994&mpage=1&key=duck%2Cdog]http://forum.dog.com/asp/m.asp?m=393994&mpage=1&key=duck%2Cdog[/link]

I dont do dog parks, I do however have them off lead and romping with herding folk and close friends.
    • Silver
    Big thanks to mrv and Stacita!!!

Coat care is totally not important to me - I love grooming - I used to breed and show afghans, plus the beardie. 

One thing I like about Belgians is their aloofness, very similar to afghans.  The one thing I found hard about the Beardie was that he thought everyone in the world was there to play with him.  The one time he didn't rush to a stranger was at the herding trials - the instructor commented that this dog didn't know him, had no reason to trust him and so wasn't going to work for him.  Cool!

I want a dog I can let go at a dog park and not have to worry about him attacking another dog and I have seen Belgians who would.  I don't care if he doesn't want to play with them, I'd be taking him for the exercise.

This sounds more and more like the breed for me.  By the way - I loved your photos!  Thanks again.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Yes there are some dog aggressive lines.  Socialization and training will address most of the issues.  Decide your variety of choice, get the newsletter and consider joining the club.  That will get you the inside track on up coming litters, the breeders who concentrate on one venue or pursue many.
    The aloofness is often misunderstood even by some belgian owners.  I dont want a golden retriever in a belgian suit.  I want a dog that is more focused on me and mine than the world at large.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Belgian people, do you know anything about this kennel?

http://www.alouettebelgians.com/

• Gold Top Dog
    Yes, she is a good person.  Good dogs behind her animals.  Very active in dog sport and the club.  Any other details requested send me a PM
    • Gold Top Dog
    Yes, she is a good person. Good dogs behind her animals. Very active in dog sport and the club. Any other details requested send me a PM

Thanks! Good to hear.  When I was originally most interested in a Belgian, that was the first website I found (this was almost 3 years ago) and since at the time I'd never even SEEN any Belgians in person, that site is what made me fall in love with them.  But, I know far less about how to tell a good Belgian breeder than a good GSD breeder.  I'm pleased to hear they are "legit" and I will keep that bookmark.