Info on which breed(s) to look at....

• Bronze

Info on which breed(s) to look at....

Hi everyone...I am , obviously new to this forum.  I have a few questions, if y'all could help me out a bit I would appreciated it greatly!

The family (the hubby and the nine year old daughter) have been riding me for a dog for a very long time, to which I have successfully held my ground.  Until lately...lol

I have always been more of a kitty type person, but, unfortunately, I think I am allergic to them, so that pet is a no go.  We do have several fish tanks....fresh, marine, and seahorses...I also have a Parrot named Rosie who is 12 years old, and I hand fed her as a baby.  So, while I can take care of the pets, I really am not sure about a dog.  I know they are higher maintenance than probably all the pets I currently have combined.

So, to my story, while visiting a friend of mine, who has a 3 year old Yorkie, my daughter fell in love with the dog.  I have been reading and researching trying to find a reason NOT to get this dog, but it seems to be a fairly perfect dog!  Apparently it does not shed, per se, does not need tons of excercise, and is not an excessive barker.  Is this all true?  (understanding dogs within a breed vary, just a parrots within a species can do same)

We do go camping, and there is little tolerance for barking dogs (altho, my experience seems to tell me there is less tolerance for large barking dogs than the small)  So I would like to take it with us camping...do they tolerate car rides fairly well?  There is someone home 95 percent of the time, as Grandma lives with us, and in the family vote, she voted yes for the Yorkie.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I do not want a dog, I just want to be sure IF we get one, that it is the right dog for us.

Here is what I would like in a dog....tell me if I am just nuts please!  LOL

Friendly and sweet (esp with kids)
    Non-barker (as much as can be expected)
    Playful and somewhat energetic
    Not needing walks every day (altho, there will be walks aplenty, just not in bad weather, etc)
    Fits in with the household which consists of Mom, Dad, Grandma, and 9 year old begging for a dog...

It seems the Yorkie fits the bill.  Are there others I should be considering?  Lay it on me, I can take it!  Let me know if I seem out of line at all.  I am seeking info, in part, because as a child, I had a Siberian Husky that ran away several times, and we eventually gave it to a local farmer with a small 10 acre place with pond and horses, and he ran away from there.  I was just broken hearted and don't want to to the same to my child.

I do have a vet I use regularly for my parrot (yes there is a dog guy there too...) and am well aware that it will require regular visits, and good food, and potty training (my biggest fear), and of course, lots of love!  Thanks for any help and guidance!
    • Gold Top Dog
    well, i've never owned a yorkie, so this may not count a lot.
    i have a lot of friends that own them though (very popular among college girls)
    my closest friend's yorkie is a pain in the butt. He is constantly biting, not listening, and just annoying in general. If you grab him in the wrong way, he snaps (not good for children)Most of my friends yorkies are pretty yappy, too. I've also heard they are kinda hard to housetrain. on the other hand, i work with a lady who has a yorkie with a 3 and 1 year old, and she says he is absolutely wonderful. I think some others will be along with much better advice.
    • Bronze
    My neighbors have a yorkie and it's sooo nice, a bit lazy though (it's also a little round in the tummy ^^ ). Hardly ever barks and when it does it's usually at things like birds or squirrels. It also never crosses the street but it's probably because it was trained to do so... It's a really sweet dog though <3 I'm not sure if this is typicial behavior, so don't quote me on that!

Oh, and also -- Yorkies don't need too much daily grooming if you keep their coat short (I also think they look cuter this way, imo). You just need to get it trimmed sometimes.
    • Bronze
    Thanks for the input so far...and yes, short coat is the game plan!

I would like to add, that even tho I work part time only, I think the dog would also be a great companion for Mom-mom on those mornings I am not home!
    • Gold Top Dog

Friendly and sweet (esp with kids) - not a yorkie, too small, excitable and nippy, and can easily be accidently injured by rough play with a kid
    Non-barker (as much as can be expected) - most yorkies are pretty yappy
    Playful and somewhat energetic - sure, they usually are
    Not needing walks every day (altho, there will be walks aplenty, just not in bad weather, etc) - yorkie fits here, no need for tons of exercise
    Fits in with the household which consists of Mom, Dad, Grandma, and 9 year old begging for a dog...- again, 9 year old is a concern here

• Gold Top Dog
    If I were to recommend any toy breed for you at all, it would NOT be a Yorkie.  They are yappy and can be quite nippy and do not take kindly to a 9 year old reaching out randomly and suddenly to pick them up.

They are hard to housebreak, take a good deal of coat care even if you DO keep it short (you still need to brush the dog, care for its teeth and ears, keep eye goops away, etc), they are not a breed you can "rough house" with.

I'd suggest something slightly larger and more sturdy.  A Peke perhaps (they CAN be kept short and don't have to be "ugly") or a Pug.  Pugs are very happy-go-lucky and very jovial.  They can have some breathing problems due to the short muzzle, but still, a Pug is such a clown of a breed and they're lovely with children when raised with them.  A bit more substantial in the body, they don't have an obnoxious bark (Though they can be talky), and if you don't mind a bit of snorting, they're great!

• Bronze
    See, this is why I love forums!  Research all you can, but then talk to folks who have actual experience and you get quite a different picture!  I have read they are good with kids, and they don't bark much, and require little grooming if kept short...LOL!  I did read about the teeth thing......so OK,  I will look into those other two...by Peke, you mean a Pekenese?  (sp) and the pugs...thanks and keep the ideas flowing!  I appreciate it!

• Gold Top Dog
    Would you consider a Poodle of any type?  They can be clipped in all sorts of interesting ways, and you don't HAVE to have a tiny toy.  A standard seems like it would be too large for your house, but how about a nice Miniature?

Poodles, though deemed a "Frou frou" dog are highly intelligent creatures, very patient, come in a variety of colors, and are also very versatile.  A Miniature Poodle will require a bit more exercise than a Pug or Yorkie, however, they're a slight bit bigger and more substantial for your nine year old, and you needn't walk on egg shells while they're about.  They're easier to house train and obedience train, and, should your young one ever be so inclined to jump into some aspect of showing dogs, they're WONDERFUL For obedience and agility (There are quite a few Poodles that show in both at my club).

I'd recommend a smaller herding breed for you, but it seems like that would be too much "Go" for your family.

Another breed that came to mind is the Boston Terrier.  If you find a good breeder, you can find a puppy who is very very nice, but is a bit larger than the standard calls for.  Bostons, like Pugs, are very happy and sweet, and do everything in their power to make you laugh.  Again...there can be the breathing issue with the flat face, but they aren't as flat as Pugs I've noticed.  They also have a nice short coat.  The only "problem" I personally have with bostons is that there isn't enough variety in color and markings for me, but they are still a great breed.

The French Bulldog is another to consider.  Yet again with the face, but OMG, they are HYSTERICAL!  Short coat, exercise needs are minimal, can be stubborn, not all that difficult to housebreak from what I hear.  Not the best dog for obedience or agility, but certainly a wonderful family companion.

If you want to keep it short, the Bichon is another consideration, though you have to raise them properly with children (they MUST respect the Bichon's size and space!) or they can get nippy.  They can be a bit yappy and are more "Go go go" than you may want.  They also only come in white (A bit dull for my tastes, but the personalities make up for it).

ETA:
    Yes, when I said "Peke" I meant Pekingese
    • Gold Top Dog
    Hmmm, I'd have said a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel.  Very sweet, good natured nice dogs.  There are some health problems so be sure to get one from a breeder that does all the health tests, but you could say that about any breed.  Yorkies are terriers (even if they are in the toy group) and, in general, terriers can be barky, may have dog aggression issues, and have attitude.  Now, I happen to like lots of attitude in my dogs, but it doesn't make for the easiest of dogs to live with.  Papillons are also wonderful small dogs - not barky, bright, fun dogs.

Whatevery breed you decide upon, be sure to ask the breeder if she has any dogs that didn't make it in the show ring and are looking for a good home.  These golden opertunity dogs are usually housebroken, socialized, leash trained, etc and make for an easy transition into a home of thier own.  My mom got a papillon this way last year.  Josie was a show dog, had a liter of puppies and a 5 was looking for a home of her own.  It was a great fit for everyone/dog involved.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'm thinking Shih Tzu!! And not just because they're my breed. [;)]

Friendly and sweet (esp with kids)- Shih Tzus are normally very friendly with other people and animals. Mine are a little shy with kids, but they've never really been around them. If they're raised with kids from a puppy they'll be used to the sudden moves and loud noises that kids usually make.

Non-barker (as much as can be expected)- They're definitely watchdogs, but other than that are usually a quiet, non yappy breed.

Playful and somewhat energetic- Both of my Tzus are very playful. Fudge has A LOT more energy than Gingerbread. Fudge can go and go and go AND go. Gingerbread is very calm, but can easily go for a 2 mile walk and still be ready to keep going, but at home he's really laid back.

Not needing walks every day (altho, there will be walks aplenty, just not in bad weather, etc)- I don't take mine for walks in the rain since they have puppy pads that they use for pottying. Of course it's good for them to get out and go for walks, but because they're so small they actually get a lot of exercise running around the apartment.

Fits in with the household which consists of Mom, Dad, Grandma, and 9 year old begging for a dog... Like above, they usually get along with everyone. [:)]

The main thing to keep in mind if you have an active lifestyle is that like all flatter faced breeds, they're not very heat tolerant. Not going out in the hottest part of the day and having cool water available works really well.

Edited to add- other breeds that I can't personally give as much detail about, but I think match up to what you're looking for are:

Bichon Frise
    Maltese
    Papillon
    Toy Poodle
    Miniature Poodle

• Gold Top Dog
    i agree with all the above suggestions! One of my good friends grew up with a shih tzu and it was a great family dog. I also think pugs are so cute, and oh so fun :)
    • Bronze
    Are you looking for a puppy or an adult? If choosing a puppy, regardless of breed, you will very likely have to go out on walks every day regardless of the weather, at least if you choose to go for the cavalier king charles spaniel suggestion. My cav puppy needs to go out for walks/runs (at his pace) at least twice a day or I can imagine he would start chewing the house apart. But they are a really wonderful breed, not too small or too big, is very friendly and good with kids, intelligent and easy to housebreak. If you can handle the exercise I think it would be a good breed for you, and they do settle down once they grow up.
    • Bronze
    Thanks!  I seem to have a bit more homework to do then...lol!  I had actually looked at the Shih Tzu also, and was interested in the Papillon, cause boy are they really cute!  The Shih Tzu , from my underdstanding has no undercoat, like the Yorkie,...how about the Papillon?  I don't mind the walking, I walked my neighbors greyhound pair for two years every day for him.  THAT is really a dog I would like, but it is entirely too big for my house.  And mini's from what I have seen are very yappy!

I would consider any dog really that is probably 4 and under.  I don't think it would be fair to my daughter to get one any older and have it pass in 5-8 years. 

My daughter is 9, but she is a very gentle soul.  She played with this yorkie very well and really just enjoyed having the dog sit in her lap for , oh, like two hours!  lol  So that is not too much of a concern to me.

I have been searching the rescue boards on the petfinder website as you all have so kindly suggested in other threads.

I think I will look into that spaniel dog,  some of the others mentioned, I grew up with and are not really for me but I enjoy all the suggestions and the descriptions of personalities...it's a real great help!

Fudge and Gingerbread are really cute...looking more into that one as well...Thanks!

EDIT:  I have found myself, the papillion has no undercoat....thanks...
    • Gold Top Dog
    I think there are some small herding breeds out there that are really adaptable and over-looked. Unfortunately, most of them have a double coat, meaning they shed a lot, and they can be barky when excited. On the upside, their coats are very easy care and tend to be easily kept clean and low odour, they are generally very smart and responsive, good with kids, and will happily adapt to as much or as little exercise as you care to give them. My corgi used to go out for 4 hour hikes with me, but she's also spent weeks in the backyard when I was writing my thesis. She does bark a lot when she's excited, but it was easy to teach her to be quiet on command and she tries very hard to hold those barks in when I tell her quiet. Not always successful, but with more motivation than I have, you could probably do a lot better. She adores kids, but she can be nervous around toddlers since having her eye poked by one. Everyone loves her to bits because she's a sweetie-pie. Other small herding breeds include Shetland Sheepdogs and Swedish Vallhunds.

I would consider a Whippet or Italian Greyhound. Don't know so much about the latter, but I lived with a whippet cross for a while that was not very barky. Frankly, I wouldn't trust many small dogs around kids. They get nervous because they are so small and can fear bite.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I work at a boarding kennel, so I see a LOT of little breeds.  I'd second the suggestions of...
    -Shih-tzu (all but one I have cared for are sweet dogs with nice personalities.  The other one just needs more socialization, I'd say.  They do need professional grooming, though.  For the most part, they seem to be fairly quite dogs)
    -Boston terrier (can be snappy if not used to children, but when raised with children they're great!  My mom had a couple and they were quite entertaining.  Some do like to bark, though not all I've met do.  Just depends on the dog, I suppose.)
    -Pugs (about the same as the Bostons.  VERY entertaining and sweet dogs.  They do shed a bit, though.  They don't seem to bark much, but they make various squeels, grunts, whines, etc.  As was said, they're pretty comical...)

As far as Papillons go, I haven't been around many of them, but they seem very frail...I don't know if they would have similar problems as the Yorkie or not? 

Overall, all suggestions look good to me.  I'd definitely recommend NOT getting a Yorkie.  We have TONS of them come in to board, and hardly any of them are house-trained and many of them have watches on them (meaning that they haven't bitten, but seem likely to).  There are a few that come in that are nice, house-trained dogs, but the majority aren't.