Doberman Discussions

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    In the spirit of more Dobe pictures, and since we're keeping this thread going pretty well... Here's one of my Miss Grace on her first hiking trip.  She just looks silly, laying in the leaves and stones.

My avatar is from the same trip, when she reached the summit of the mountain.  She was so proud of herself!

• Silver
    Hi. This is my first post and it is regarding Dobermans. I have recently thought about getting a dog and am interested in the Doberman breed. I've been doing my research and have learned a lot about these wonderful dogs. I'm interested in a dog as a pet/companion/exercise partner. I have a unique lifestyle and was wondering if a Doberman is the breed for me. I'm a single, 28-year-old male. I was raised always having dogs but have not owned one as an adult. As far as my situation, I am a traveling nurse who lives in an apartment 60% of the time, and I have a large house in the country (10 wooded acres) that I spend the rest of the time. I'm worried about leaving the dog at my apartment at night while I am at work at the hospital. Would this work with proper exercise and training? Other than that, I'm physically active, mature, and responsible. Thanks and I appreciate the feedback from all of you Doberman (and other dog) owners.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Yes they are so wonderful.  Casey is my second dobie.  I rescued her at the age of one.  She was a handful and couldn't stop jumping on people.  I'm not sure what happened to her in her first year but I think kept in a cage somewhere and was totally unaware of the world.  She still just can't stand bycycles and I can't make her stop.  She's ran up to them and then don't do anything.  She is however now 13 years old which is very old for a dobie I hear.  She is the queen of the house and rules the couch.  She sleeps under a home made quilt on a big sheepskin bed next to my bed.  No  not spoiled at all.  We travel in the summer in a motorhome with her and she is wonderful.  She was so funny the first time experiencing snow.  It was funny to watch when she sat down in the cold white stuff.  We are however discriminated against in some r.v. parks because of the breed but we just go on somewhere we are loved.  They are the greatest and I suppose one day I'll own another one.  I have had the females and they are so cudly and loving.  She comes in here ever once in awhile to the computer just to get a hug.  LOVE YOUR DOBIE!!
    • Gold Top Dog
    miranadobe - Is that a picture of you baby?  That is one beautiful dog.  I'd like to just hug him.  You need to post some pictures on the picture forum. 
    • Silver
    Grammazona, is that Casey in you sig-pic? She looks sweet but I can tell she is up in age with the grey muzzle. Anything you could tell me about the breed would be helpful as I am interested in acquiring one. How do they tolerate traveling since I see you take her with you on your RV excursions?
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    Sorry I missed these posts!
    As for travel - depends on the dog.  Gracie is TERRIFIC in the car.  Other Dobes get car sick.  Other Dobes become protective of the vehicle - my friends van shakes back and forth any time someone walks by because the Dobes inside bark and move around in their crates.
    I'll write more about the breed in a little while - got to get back to this meeting...!  oops!  [:)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    PLEASE keep posting pics of dobermans! I am obsessed with them!! I'm moving back to a farm here in about a year or 2, and i will get a doberman as soon as i do. Do you all think all the trouble of ear-cropping is worth it? I think they are beautiful both ways...but i bet people are more accepting of a natural-eared dobe, because they may not know what they are?
    • Puppy
    I have to admit that I would LOVE to get another doberman.  My Roxie had to be put to sleep back in 1991 when she was 11yrs old due to health issues.  That was one of the hardest days of my life.  I loved that dog and still miss her.  She didn't have the docked ears which made her a little more special to me.  She was a great dog and when I get my own home, I definitely would love to get another doberman.  Great dog!
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    Check out the Doberman Rescues in your area.  DPCA's rescue reference site allows you to search by US state (and an unofficial directory for Canada and the UK):  [linkhttp://www.dpca.org/Rescue/]http://www.dpca.org/Rescue/[/link]

Good Dobe rescues know their dogs  - they're going to match the right Dobe to you.  Other shelters that have less experience with the breed can sometimes unknowingly set you up with a bad match, because they don't understand how changeable these dogs can be.  A "sweet" Dobe leaning on you and nudging you for a pat can become a demanding pushy bossy jerk when mis-managed.  Dobe rescues know why dogs failed in their previous homes and want to avoid that happening in a new home.  They can be a great resource when you have behavior and health questions - they've seen most of the common and weird Dobe things that come up.

As for whether ear cropping is worth it...  I had Gracie's ears cropped because I wanted it, and I was committed to the CONTINUAL care of those ears.  There's no point in putting the puppy through surgery if you're not prepared to clean ears and repost and monitor ear health every single day, multiple times per day, for weeks and sometimes months on end!  Seriously... it can last 8, 11, 13 weeks of posting, cleaning, etc.  Some take less, but more often it takes longer than you expected it should... (sort of like new construction on your house!)  It's not a decision to make just because you like the way it looks.

"hereboy" - if you're considering a Dobe, go volunteer at a Dobe rescue and ask questions/handle the dogs when possible.  You will learn TONS about the breed doing that.  How much experience do you have training dogs?  This is a breed that DEFINITELY blossoms with daily training - not just a puppy obedience class and think the dog is trained.  A Dobe-savvy trainer is something every first time Dobe owner should have ready access to.
    • Gold Top Dog
    we fostered a doberman about 2 years ago. His name was Otto, he was a great dog. He was born with a "Stiff leg" his left leg was completly stiff, he couldnt bend it. But that didnt slow him down, notta bit,  he was so fast! We would take him to the dog park and he would have all the dogs chasing after him, but they could never catch him!! lol he was a joy to have around :) dobermans have always been one of my favorite breeds, i would love to have one and hopefully will someday

heres a pic of otto
    [linkhttp://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/Blugirl2208/?][/link]

• Silver
    Thanks for the response, Miranadobe. It is always good to talk to someone who has "been there, done that". That is a great idea to volunteer at a Doberman rescue. I think there is one near me in Bixby, OK (I live in Tulsa). I don't have much experience in training dogs since I have not owned one since I was a kid. You don't know me, but I am the type of person that takes decisions such as this seriously. I do lots of research, literature reading, etc. Training a Doberman, or any dog for that matter, should be a daily affair and obedience classes would be on my list.

"Danegirl" - I know you miss Otto. He looks like he was a loyal member of your family.
    • Gold Top Dog
    This could be a great situation for a dobe, or maybe not.  Dobes can be mouthy (noise and examining their universe with their mouths).  I would strongly suggest you not get a dobe puppy.  Think toddlers in the hospital who are constantly getting out of cribs, tearing out lines, fidgiting with equipment, etc.  welcome to dobe puppyhood.

The rescue suggestion is a great one, and dont let the distance to another state fool you.  The rescue and dog show community is great at putting together a relay of drivers to get dogs all over the country.

The primary issue I would worry about is guarding/altering behavior at night.  Dobes have a tendency to be territorial and vigilant in their warning and guarding behaviors.  Folks having parties, and other unexpected noises are likely to start barking.  When you are not home to stop it, that can be problematic with neighbors and management.  There are ultra sonic tools for interrupting barking and that option might work, but you never know. (also bark collars)

Dobes need obedience training in a class situation for the socialization aspect as much as the training (even if you are a good trainer already).  Since they need mental exercise as much as they need physical exercise, long term (years) participation in training classes can be a wonderful experience for both of you.  Competition is fun (obedience, rally, tracking, agility)

Dobes may be life long chewers so you need to be prepared with things specifically for that purpose.  They need considerable exercise so a jogging partner is a great idea.  They can be weather whimps so coats are often appreciated in some climates.

One other option would be to consider a rehome.  These are usually dogs returned to a breeder or owned by a breeder that are available for adoption.  In some cases these dogs are basic training and socialization already addressed.  These dogs typically require getting known in the local community of dog show folk and a considerable wait time.

Health concerns include hypothryoidism (easily controlled in most cases) cancer, and congestive heart failure.  There are some other medical issues (neurological syndrome Wobblers) etc.  In most cases rescue will have identified those issues if the dog is old enough (2-3 years).  They can be some what short lived.  My first one was 16-9 when she died, the second only 10.  The last one lived just passed 12. 

I owned dobes for 26+ years.  I really enjoyed them, but found I was actually looking for something else [;)].
    • Bronze
    I agree that a puppy may not be what you are looking for and also agree that a rescue could be a great consideration. As stated above the good rescues know their dogs and the ones that will best suit your lifestyle and experience. I have a great rescue dobe and he's got natural ears, Do I have a preference? I guess when you interact with a certain dog the personality usually shines through, in this case he had natural ears but if he would've had cropped ears he still would've been the one I brought home to be part of my family.
    Here's a pic. of Duffy.

Scott

• Gold Top Dog
    I had two dobies growing up, Cody and Windsor. They both lived to be 12. They were the most loyal, awesome dogs I have ever known. This breed is very special too me. One day I would like to own another. As for cropping, I prefer dobies cropped. I think they look much ,more regal.
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    Dobes need obedience training in a class situation for the socialization aspect as much as the training

mrv makes many good points, as usual.  (mrv - 16+ years on your Dobe!?!  That's amazing!)  Dobes should be properly socialized to dogs and situations early and more than once.  Too many "issues" errupt later in life because "Kaiser never saw a _______ before!"  Now watch him spin like a top and bark and strike at it.... [&:]  I was fortunate enough to have a littermate sister in Gracie's puppy obedience class and then tons of daily exposure to other dogs in less "formal" training - just real life settings.  It's what made her a very balanced dog today....
    However, learn from my mistake - I forgot to take her through an automated car wash ride.  She trembled during her first and second rides.  Now she stays home.

hereboy sounds like me - lots of research, questions, exposure, etc.  My friend was the same and he invited me on his adoption appointment to help him pick out a new Dobe.  I realized the second he got the leash in his hands and was pulled 30 feet by a 4 month old pup that he had no idea of the physicality of these dogs.  That's why hands on experience and exposure to the breed in its variety can be an eye-opener.