Labrador questions??

• Gold Top Dog
    Wow, three weeks is really young. Good for you for taking him in, and good luck with the pup. By the way, how do you care for a three-week old dog? Like food, social interaction, vet care...?
    • Gold Top Dog
    The mom had 13 puppies............6 died at birth that left 7. One died after it was sent home........so that left 6. 2 of them got sick and died and that left 4.

I'd be concerned about the health of these dogs.  The ones left may be fine, but I'd probably pass.
    • Silver
    Do you know what the cause of death was on the mother and the other puppies?  Just curious.

Labs are wonderful dogs.  My husband and I have owned Labs for 18 years.  I hope I'm never without one at my side.  Our current Lab is five years old and is my husband's hunting companion just like the ones before him.  Most of our experience is with the field breds but my female was bred for the show ring.  She was a sweetheart (and a decent hunting dog despite what her pedigree said!).  

Labs do have a long puppyhood.  It usually last about three years.  A well trained Lab is a treasure; a poorly trained one is a nightmare.  They are very high energy (especially field breds) and very intelligent.  If you do not channel all that energy and intelligence properly, you will have a big problem on your hands.  Here's my advice even though alot people of already given most of it -

Be the leader from day one.  This is not negotiable.  No jumping up. No pulling on the leash.  No mouthing arms and legs no matter how cute.  Period.

Socialize (as soon as the puppy's old enough)  Labs are friendly dogs but some of the field breds, depending on the line, can be a little disagreeable with other dogs if they're not socialized.

Exercise, exercise, exercise.  Labs are a sporting breed bred to work all day by a hunter's side.  You have to let them expel that energy and use their hunting/retrieving instincts.  If you walk or run, take him/her with you when he/she is old enough and then throw retriever dummies (they sell them at Petsmart) for him/her when you're done.

Teach your puppy immediately what is appropriate to chew and what is not.     Be firm!  We use Kongs, Nylabones, Stuff toys.  Make sure that it can stand up to aggressive chewing.  We have the black Kongs and the Nylabones for aggressive chewers.  Don't give wimpy toys.  Our Lab we have now has a Jolly Ball that's actually meant for horses!

Find a good obedience trainer and teach the basics, at least.

Be firm and consistent and do not waiver.

It'll be well worth it!  In the end you will have a loyal friend and family member for life. 
    • Puppy
    Lucky you with twin chocolates, congrats !
    Labs are great but they DO tend to act like puppies till the age of around 2... make sure you have the energy to wear them out ! I recommend to everyone in the whole world to watch Dog Whisperer on Nat Geo channel or get Dog Whisperer DVDs. (cesarmillan.com I think)... They are "retrievers" so make sure they get to fetch fetch fetch. Also my daughter says labs have a tendency to have hip problems so don't let them get too fat.
    My chocolate lab has a mysterious mastiff in his parentage LOL... I think it added gentleness to his personality, he is a sweetheart !!

• Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: testarossa1222
    ...Labs are great but they DO tend to act like puppies till the age of around 2...

Or longer!  [:)]  To be perfectly honest, the only reason our Mick slowed down was becasuse of physical problems when he got older.  Even at 15 1/2, you could still see the want in his eyes to race off after a ball, or play a rousing game of chase with us, but his body wouldn't let him.