Woolly Huskies!

• Gold Top Dog

Woolly Huskies!

Some dog show people dont like wooly huskies what are your opions?
    • Gold Top Dog
    Alot of huskies coats go wooly after being spayed/neutered,most show dogs havnt had the op.I didnt think Huslies were meant to be "woolly"??

I think the worst breed for getting a woolly coat after being spayed is the cavalier,they are woeful..

What exactly was your point? Do you own a woolly huskie?
    • Gold Top Dog
    It's not about Sibe exhibitors not liking woolies.  It's about proper coat type, and from my experience in working with sibes, a Wooly is not properly insulated against the elements, thus making them useless as a sled dog.

Great for pets, but a disqualification/serious fault for a reason.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Edie

Alot of huskies coats go wooly after being spayed/neutered,most show dogs havnt had the op.I didnt think Huslies were meant to be "woolly"??

I think the worst breed for getting a woolly coat after being spayed is the cavalier,they are woeful..

What exactly was your point? Do you own a woolly huskie?

this is my dog

• Gold Top Dog
    If you read the breed description
      Coat
    The coat of the Siberian Husky is double and medium in length, giving a well furred appearance, but is never so long as to obscure the clean-cut outline of the dog. The undercoat is soft and dense and of sufficient length to support the outer coat. The guard hairs of the outer coat are straight and somewhat smooth lying, never harsh nor standing straight off from the body. It should be noted that the absence of the undercoat during the shedding season is normal. Trimming of whiskers and fur between the toes and around the feet to present a neater appearance is permissible. Trimming the fur on any other part of the dog is not to be condoned and should be severely penalized. Faults--Long, rough, or shaggy coat; texture too harsh or too silky; trimming of the coat, except as permitted above.

A "long" coat is considered a fault. Personally I think it looks fine but it doesn't follow what the breed is bred for. But if you don't plan on showing then it's no biggy imo.
    • Gold Top Dog
    If the dog isn't being shown or being exposed to the extreme elements, then what could be wrong with it?  I think your dog is just plain gorgeous [:D]
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Nikki_Burr

If the dog isn't being shown or being exposed to the extreme elements, then what could be wrong with it?  I think your dog is just plain gorgeous [:D]

I dont show, but I went in this "fun" show for prettiest dog and a lab beat me.........So I quess the judge didn't like wooly huskeys
    • Gold Top Dog
    I wouldn't assume that the judge doesn't like wooly huskies. I would just assume that the judge thought the lab was better looking.

Your dog is gorgeous though.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Jewlieee

I wouldn't assume that the judge doesn't like wooly huskies. I would just assume that the judge thought the lab was better looking.

Your dog is gorgeous though.

thank you!