Which breed are the best little family dogs?

• Bronze

Which breed are the best little family dogs?

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for providing such a great resource for all of us. As I'm researching the forums I find all the info fascinating and quite helpful. Our family is looking to get a dog for the first time. We have a 5 and a 6 year old kid who have been bugging us to get one. So some things we are considering is that it has to be small, family type, friendly and loves to be around little kids. We are also considering allowing it to be an indoor/outdoor dog where it has a little doggy door and go outside as it needs (provided propper training). So which little family dog breed are the best for our situation?

Thanks,
    sone
    • Gold Top Dog
    I would reccommend a Pug!  Pugs are wonderful family dogs - they love kids and are extremely companionable.  I would definitely steer clear of breeds like Chihuahuas and Yorkshire Terriers that are just too fragile.  They may be cute and tiny but they're really not going to be able to handle rough handling like younger children are more apt to use.  Other breeds you might consider are Beagles, Staffordshire Bull Terriers (not sure what you're considering as "small" here), and Sussex Spaniels.  Beagles have a bit more energy though they tend to follow their noses a bit more than you'd like them to.  Staffies are wonderful with kids, though you would want to consider how important it is for your dog to be able to play with other dogs as some Staffies are dog aggressive. Sussex Spaniels are really all around wonderful dogs, though maybe not the best choice if you're looking for an active companion.  They are very laid back and friendly and have goofy personalities, but they are a little more uncommon and difficult to find.  I know someone who works with them and as such I've met a few and they've all proven to be excellent dogs.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Check the pound. Smaller dogs are not as common as the big ones, of course, but just be patient and keep checking them out.

Or, look at petfinder.org - type in your zip code and select "little" for size and leave everything else blank. Then get a cup of coffee and a snack and allow yourself many minutes to browse through all the little dogs that need homes. Many of them won't be suitable for families with small children, but that's the nice thing about rescues that are in foster care. They know whether the dog will get along with kids, cats, whatever else.
    • Bronze
    Nikki_burr: Thank you so much for your response. I will look into your recommendations. I've grown up with all sorts of Terriers and think they are really fun, spunky dogs. I was considering a Jack Russel Terrier but read they can be a bit too hyper. I'll have to look into the Staffordshire Bull Terriers and see how they are.

brookcove: Thank you so much for your response. I've have adopted a pound dog before (as a kid) and had great luck with the mixed breed we got. He was a puppy (Terrier mixed) with a broken paw and limped around. When we adopted him, we figured an appropriate name would be "Limpy". As he grew older, his paw healed well and no longer had the limp. So Limpy was limpless. [:D]
    • Gold Top Dog
    I agree with Nikki_burr, Pugs are awesome little dogs!  I've never owned a "small" dog.  My dogs, to me, are not big dogs.  They weigh about 60lbs each.  I am guessing that you were thinking of something smaller.  Basset Hounds are pretty cool.  Some people don't like how they bark!  If you do decide to get a medium sized dog, consider getting a Pitty!  I have 2 and they are great!  I also have a 3 year old daughter and those dogs love my little girl to death!  Reguardless of what people say, these dogs are very friendly with humans, especially children.  They can, however, be a little testy with other dogs so they need to be socialized well when they are little!  Good luck!!
    • Gold Top Dog
    After a shelter dog, my vote is for a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. A little dog with a great personality.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Amerikan Eskimo

"The American Eskimo is a charming, affectionate and loving dog. Hardy and playful, they are excellent with children. Highly intelligent and willing to please. Alert and easy to train, the American Eskimo often ranks among the top scorers in obedience trials."

Schipperke

"very devoted and loyal, especially with children"

Finnish Spitz

"a great companion for family members of all ages, especially children and older adults."
    • Gold Top Dog
    From small to large:

Pugs - love these dogs but they can be finicky. They can't handle a lot of exercise.

Corgis are good family dogs for sure but they can be challenging to first time pet owners. They are independent, very smart and will out think family members if you let them. If you want a corgi I'd get one that is an adult from a shelter or rescue.

Eskies are great too but would require a fair amt of grooming to keep their coats looking good.

Aussies are great (I have to mention them because I own one!) with kids/families. But I have found they can be a bit overwhelming to young kids. A lot of aussies are really agile and love to bounce around.  I've taught mine to not jump on people so instead of jumping ON people, he now jumps AROUND people which can be unnerving to very young kids (2 yrs old) and old people. He absolutely loves kids though and most kids love him back just as much.

Newfies are excellent family dogs. Very laid back and protective. They are a large breed though so their life span won't be as long (9 yrs or so)
    • Gold Top Dog
    If you want a "breed" you can research...
    Beagles of course. Sturdy, forgiving, loving, energetic yet also lazy, inherently people orientated, not combative with other animals or pets...not overly concerned with rank...not difficult to groom...not to mention adorable.

I personally, would not recommend an American Eskimo....at least not the mini variety...the ones I have interacted with seem quite alert and quick to bark at or show piqued interest in fast movement and high pitched sounds, and a bit touch sensitive. Not always a real good combo with kiddos...esp young ones. Smaller Spitz breeds in general...including Pom's, tend to like their space and be a bit more inclined to be one or two person dogs, IME.

I second that a shelter dog might work if you know their history with children or they are fostered with kids. Shelters sometimes have mix breed pups also that could work out...tho eventual size would be a bit of a gamble in some cases.
    • Bronze
    Bullymom: Thank you!

Tiffy: Thank you!

Liesje: Thank you and thank you for putting the list with images. That is great! What beautiful dogs.

Jewlieee: Thank you! I couldn't find Newfies in wikipedia.. I'll try using google.

rwbeagles: Thank you!

Thank you all. I'm putting together a long list to share with the family so we can shorten it. Yes we will also look into adopting.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Newfies = Newfoundland

Big dogs, but so loving and so gentle...wonderful with children.

• Gold Top Dog
    Beagles and terriers are the first thing that came to my mind.  They are very sturdy, unlike the chihuahuas, pomeranians, etc.  They have plenty energy so your kids would have a playmate (supervised of course).  They are good with kids and after playing will snuggle right up on the couch with them to watch SpongeBob!!
    • Silver
    ORIGINAL: rwbeagles

I personally, would not recommend an American Eskimo....at least not the mini variety...the ones I have interacted with seem quite alert and quick to bark at or show piqued interest in fast movement and high pitched sounds, and a bit touch sensitive. Not always a real good combo with kiddos...esp young ones. Smaller Spitz breeds in general...including Pom's, tend to like their space and be a bit more inclined to be one or two person dogs, IME.

I have to agree with Gina about the Eskies, and would also add the Schipperke into the same general catagory. These are breeds that are playful and can really like children, but if a child is unintentionally rough with them, these are breeds who would bite or nip to get away or get their point across. Not breeds to "suffer fools gladly."

Pugs and Beagles are both more laid back and tolerant dogs. The vast majority of small breeds are too sensitive and reactive for small children. By just being normal rambunctious children, they would frighten most small breeds. Frightened dogs tend to bite when they feel cornered.

Actually, the more I think about it, I'm kind of on the fence about the Schipperke. Depending on the individual dog they might be good with kids.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thank you all. I'm putting together a long list to share with the family so we can shorten it. Yes we will also look into adopting.

If you'll consider adopting, I'd definitely look into Beagles!!  A few people have mentioned them here and they   are pretty popular, so quite easy to find in shelters.  Our shelter usually has 2-3 Beagles or Beagle mixes at a time.  My husband wants to get a Beagle when (IF) we have kids.
    • Gold Top Dog
    My dad has an Eskie...never has been good with kids. In fact, she's terrible with kids.  And she never stops barking....

But... I have two Eskies of my own, who are wonderful with my kids as well as the kids in the neighborhood.  When we got them we were sure to have them trained because we knew they could be difficult. 
    Yes, mine do bark-no a lot though, and only to alert us that someone is at the door or if they hear a strange noise in the middle of the night--that's their job IMO. 

My kids can crawl all over Dixie-she could care less.  They don't, but she's always been very good and I trust her completely with my children.  She'll yip like you've hurt her if they get a little rowdy, but that's it.  She wouldn't hurt a fly. 

Sugar is a little skittish, but she simply stays away from the kids if they're loud or running around.  I trust her completely too.  They are completely loving dogs. They are both 30-35lbs respectively, so they are not minis. 

Polly-my 8 mo. old pug/shih-tzu mix can be awful with the kids--she's still in the nippy stage and I don't trust her with my kids (as I shouldn't-she's still a pup).  She has gotten better, and I am working with her.  I must say, out of the three, and I've had all since puppyhood-Polly has been the most difficult where the kids are concerned.

Eskies are wonderful family pets-if you take the time to have them trained.  If not, they can be tough to deal with.
    Just my .02.