Poodle hybrid

• Silver

Poodle hybrid

Hi,
    I am trying to decide on which breed will fit us the best. I really like the schnoodle pups. Can anyone tell me if they are ok to be left alone during the day. So many of the small dogs do not like to be alone for more than 4 hours. My husband and I work and it would be around 8 hours by itself. If they don't like to be alone can anyone suggest a breed that is good. We use to have a sheltie and she was great by herself. We are looking for something a little smaller, less than 20 lbs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mary Ann
    • Gold Top Dog
    A Schnoodle or any of the other designer dogs is just a mixed breed dog. They may or may not get specific characteristics from either of their parents. Unfortunately, most of the "designer" breeds are bred by some pretty unscrupulous breeders who do no health checks on the parents, give poor prenatal and puppy care, and poor socialization to the puppies, so you have a much higher probability of a sickly, poorly adapted puppy.

If you need to be gone all day for work, it really is best to adopt an adult dog. An exception would be to get a 12 week or older puppy and have someone come over during the day for the first couple of months. If you are looking for a small, purebred puppy, do your homework and insist on an ethical breeder who gives their pups the best possible start in life.

If you go through a rescue for an adult dog you should be able to find one that has been in foster care. The foster family will generally have a good idea of how they do in various situations.

Best of luck finding a terrific companion!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Check petfinder.org to find rescues in your area. Some foster programs may even have mixed breeds along the lines that you are looking for! And, as mentioned, they get to know the dogs in their care and so you won't have any surprises.

Mixed breed dogs aren't really hybrids - that refers to crossing species or genetically distinct varieties.
    • Gold Top Dog
    one thing to consider with a schnoodle is its half terrier. now your pup may take after the poodle (i'm assuming they use toy poodles or something and not the standard) both can be a little high strung, but schnauzers are.. well.. terriers. you wont know what side the pup will take after until its too late. and if you cant cope with that then you have a choice to make. either deal or give it back, and if you give it back there is no telling where it will end up.

i think the best choice has already been said :try a rescue. go to your local rescue org. or shelter and tell them your situation and what you want. chances are they have it. my mom adopted a 10 yr old bichon/maltese from the local shelter. i happened to see it there while my cousin and i were looking around. her owner had JUST dropped her off. she hadnt even been processed yet. her story was she and their other dog, a yorkie had gotten along for 8 years until one day the bichon suddenly decided she wanted to be an only dog... and because SHE kept picking the fights, they gave her up. my mom has no other pets so this worked out great. Tera, the dog, is already house broken and very calm and collected though she has some bichon traits that my mom cant stand. she is clingy and barky. when my mom goes away the dog pines for her, when she comes back the dog dances and howls. when someone knocks on the door, the dog barks loudly and puts on a real show, but otherwise no problems with her. well.... ok she begs shamelessly while people are eating. my grandmother will feed her all of her food if you dont put the dog in the other room.....

Every dog at the pound has a story. they arent all just the result of BYBs or uncaring eejits that have no time or patience for a puppy.
    if you are worried about your house while you are away then stay away from terrier breeds unless you are willing to crate train the proper way.... but even i think 8 hours in a crate is over the top....
    i'm afraid you arent going to find a dog or puppy that likes being alone for 8 solid hours. you MAY want to consider two dogs, or possibly another species.
    remember, dogs are social creatures. if you're gone all day and they're alone, they'll either sleep or bark. if they sleep then they will be up all night wanting to play and interact with you. if they bark you might make enemies of neighbours depending on your living situation. 
    just some things to think about.
    • Silver
    I, like you, work during the day and am gone for 9 hours.  We did a modified crate training for our lab pup and came home at lunch until she was on two feedings a day. I think it took a little longer to house break but we got there eventually.  We had a crate and one of those metal fence yards to set up like a ;play yard then had put a piece of linolium over the carpet and used puppy ;pads outside the crate in the little yard.  The pup had more freedom than just a crate and as she grew and eventually thought of the whole little ;play yard as her space- she ate there, got snacks ect. and we could still correct her behavior, she was safe, our house was safe.  We also shut the crate door from time to time so she would be used to this too.

Then we got another one because as the previous post stated, she slept all day and was really not ready to settle in to sleep unit 3 or 4 in the morning and I felt guilty all day when I was away.  Two dogs are alot more work but I don't feel guilty leaving them for the 9 hours anymore so it was worth it.  The first pup is really bonded to us, the second is more bonded to the first.  If I did it again, I would get littermates from the start.

I do think the snoodles are cute.  So are the pug/poodle mix-puggles- I don't know much about breed temperment so perhaps the pug is a little mellower.