Lapphunds

Does anyone know anything about Lapphunds?

They're a rare breed in Australia, but I'm just about settled on the Finnish Lapphund for my next dog. I wanted something calm and confident and relaxed for Penny, seeing as she's getting on, now, and actually starting to slow down a bit. She's going blind and she doesn't like it when the other dogs start making sudden, unpredictable movements in confined spaces. I also would really like to see her with a canine pal that could be a calming influence on her. She's a lot happier around calm dogs, and it rubs off on her. And there's also the rabbits being a fairly big constraint on what dog I get next, otherwise I'd be getting a greyhound. Penny likes greyhounds.

I was thinking a Leonberger, but after meeting some boistrous youngsters, I realised such a large dog would be a bit much for Penny and I'd be worried he'd hurt her accidentally. Seeing as people don't often want to part with their adult Leonbergers, I'm not pinning my hopes on adopting an adult.

A Finnish Lapphund, though, might be just right. Not so big it's likely to hurt Penny by accident, and they're supposed to be very calm and laid back. I'm trying to organise to meet some, but there aren't many in the area. I've spoken to a breeder and she seemed to think the Lappies would be okay with the rabbits due to their calm natures and the fact that they never seem to get intense about anything like herding dogs often do.

There's also someone I know of trying to find a home for an adult Swedish Lapphund. There's only 6 of those in Australia, but my feeling is it's the Finnish that's going to fit into my family. Anyone met any Lapphunds?