any hound rescues?

any hound rescues?

we found a walker coondog today and are searching for the owner, because it's obvious he's had one.  (just don't know if the owner cares to look:( )
    anyone know of any hound dog rescues?
    • Gold Top Dog
    Where are you located?  My state, Michigan, has a walker coonhound rescue:

[linkhttp://coonhound911.rescuegroups.org/]http://coonhound911.rescuegroups.org/[/link]
    • Gold Top Dog
    i would assess the hounds physical condition before putting up "found dog" flyers....
    some hunters care about getting their hounds back, some dont. the ones that DO care take precautions like microchips or radio collars or at the very very least a buckle collar with a name and address on it. sometimes a lost hound cant be helped but if a hunter wants it back..... then they at least try. then again people get hounds for pets not understanding that they are hunters and.... will hunt. meaning the escape and just ramble off.
    if the hound is thin, no collar, you might try to have it checked for a micro chip, otherwise forget the owner.. where i live "pack hounds" are a dime a dozen. these people dont really respect their dogs. if one gets lost in a swamp and doesnt show up before the next day... they get another from a buddy down the street, or breed their own.
    but that is how i am used to seeing hounds treated. there are sooooo many of them during and after hunting season. wandering beside the road, or in animal shelters because they were um... wandering beside the road.
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    Depends where you live.  This one in Maine is good
    [linkhttp://www.coonhoundrescue.org/]http://www.coonhoundrescue.org/[/link]
    i'm in far western ky, but i will definitely check the michigan and maine sites.  since hubby let me live for taking him in, i'd like to see him rested/fed up.  he is very thin...his ribs and hip bones show, but his front part and head doesn't seem thin (?)  he's full of ticks.  i've given him a flea/tick bath, given him an over-the-counter worm med. and some supplements.  i didn't want to give him all he could eat all at once, so we've worked him up over the past 24 hr. to a "normal" feeding.  he's very sweet and even seems hoarse.  another forum that is coondog savvy said it sounds like he's been on the run and hunting so much he's made himself hoarse.  thanks for the info, i will check them out and keep you updated!
    btw, he had no microchip, we went and had that checked:(  i've registered on the michigan site and emailed the maine site, so we'll see what happens!
    • Gold Top Dog
    There's a coonhound rescuer right in this very community. PM RobDar or google HoundSong Rescue. They rescue beagles and all breeds of coonhounds.
    • Bronze
    Be very careful with rescues, because I have a Walkerhound, and the rescue that I got it from misrepresented the dog completely.  I fully agree that they are very sweet and loveable, but if they have been trained for hunt, you will have the devil's own time trying to retrain them to stay at home.  We have had ours now for over two years, and even with a fenced yard, I cannot let her off leash, or she is gone in a flash.   I feel so badly, because getting her sufficient exercise is a real problem-even very long walks aren't what they crave.  They are accustomed to running, climbing, jumping over obstacles-a very active animal, and sometimes if the activity levels aren't high enough, they get into creative mischief-raiding garbage, chewing things  etc....The Walkers are by far the toughest minded hounds I have run across, and I have had everything from the little, (but big dog in spirit) Beagles all the way up to Irish Wolfhounds.  I have been told that Plot hounds are even one better on the stubborn scale, but I find that hard to imagine.  I have been trying to rehome my Walker to a more rural area for more than a year, because I truly fear that if she breaks free (as sometimes happens when a guest, or somebody else comes to my home and isn't familiar with her tactics-like the repairman, meter reader etc) she will come to serious harm or death, because I am in a rapidly developing area, new businesses, wider highways, new subdivisions....When we moved here there were 3500 people in the community, and now there are well over 17000 with all the car and truck traffic that goes along with it.  I contacted every coon hound organization and rescue group that I could find address, or e-mail address for, and was told almost universally, that they had no room, because of the huge influx of southern dogs after the hurricanes, tornadoes and other natural disasters...I truly wish you luck.  I even went so far as to offer to keep her in foster care until a suitable home could be found if space was an issue.  I did not get a whole lot of help or assistance at that time.  I certainly hope you fare better than I.  At this point, I agree with the other posts, most hunters look upon the dogs as easily replaced property, not really having an owner/pet relationship with them.  Hunting training techniques can be quite brutal, and I have heard that many hunters will shoot the dog in the field for not responding appropriately.  For those reasons, I kind of gave up on trying to find somebody who might be interesting in her for hunting.  Best of Luck, and don't get too attached if you intend to give it to another home, because it is super easy to love these guys. 
    just an update...no response from our flyers, etc. (as expected:()
    the good news, one of my co-workers (i work at a large hospital) has been looking for a hound to add to his family.  he lives in a rural area and hunts some but not alot.  they took right up with each other when we did a meet and greet.  it dawned on me that he must have been a "man's" dog.  he's been in his new home almost a week now with no problems!  thanks for everyone's ideas/info/input!