Anatolians?

• Bronze

Anatolians?

Does anyone out there have anatolians, pyranees or other livestock guardian dogs? I just got a pyronees/ anatolian and I have some questions.
    • Gold Top Dog
    You might want to PM brookcove, she's got at least one Maremma.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I have a friend who uses the Pyr near the house and barns and the Anatolian in the fields  (250+ sheep).  Another friend uses pyrs exclusively.

• Bronze
    Thanks for the info.
    I just got an anatolian/pyranees cross. he is 16 weeks he was very calm and loving but I could tell had never been out of the pen. He did great on the ride home. but did not want to get out of the car. so my husband  lifted him out he slipped out of his collar and took off it took 4 of us to catch him. He just seems scared to death. Its obcious he has never had a collar or leash on and he will come up to me but he is still so scared IM not sure what the next step should be.Ive never had a puppy so afraid.
    • Gold Top Dog
    At 16 weeks and never been any where you need to step up socialization big time.  Get to the pet supply store or a natural food store that sells homeopathic treatments.  Get a bottle of Rescue Remedy.  Use prior to training or other potentially stressful situations.

Then go home and cook up chicken, liver, slice some string cheese and make very small treat bags (snack size ziplocks)  Store in the freezer in a gallon size bag.  Take out  a bag as needed.  Work on getting him to focus on you and when he does, offer a treat.  After he starts looking toward you, start the name game.   Say his name one time while he is paying attention, feed a treat.  Repeat 10 times, 4 to 5 times a day for 3 days.  For the next three days, vary the times you say his name; some times when he is paying attention, some times when his attention is else where.  He has to be looking at you to get the treat.  You only say his name one time.  If he doesnt look, he doesnt get the treat.  Wait 15 to 20 seconds and try again.

Next step, find some friends who will come over to help socialize.  Start with a restraining the puppy in an ex-pen, or a line.  Arrange some lawn chairs but in a way the chairs are not directly facing the puppy.  Just sit and talk.  If the puppy comes near, food is offered.  If he doesn't no big deal, just wait.

After you have had the puppy 2-3 weeks start going one new place per week... Start with places that have few people and distractions.  Just wander aimlessly with the puppy.  If he is calm and quiet, repeat the name game exercise.  If he is frightened or worried, just stand still.  Dont talk, dont move, just wait.  When he calms, offer food.  Then go about your merry, calm and quiet way.  As the puppy gets more comfortable in this low distraciton areas, start moving up to more crowded and distracting places.  If the puppy is aggitated, move to the distance he can calm, then treat.
    • Bronze
    mrv:
    Thank you somuch for the info. Im going to try this. He is starting to get closer to me. He whines when I go in the house. He just is still so scared. He was coming up to me great this morning but one of his eyes looked matted so I cleaned it for him now he seems hessitant again. I may have made a misake. I just wanted to make sure he was ok. But Im gonna take you suggestions and see how it goes. Thanks again.[sm=cry.gif][sm=cry.gif]
    • Gold Top Dog
    Is this dog being kept as a pet or a livestock guardian? If as a pet, is he inside with you? If he is to be a pet, it is vital that he remain with the family at all times, at least until he's grown a good bit and knows his place in your household.

Think of it this way. My livestock guardians bond with their flock - that's their instinct. When I want to punish one of them, I seperate him (usually it's my male, who's still young and mischiveous) from the flock. That's devastating.

Really, this pup shoould have come home with you a lot earlier if he was supposed to be a pet. It's not too late but you have to be really, really patient and careful to include the pup in all the household activities. It's really best if you make sure he's physically present (use a baby gate to keep him in the room), but let him warm up to you on his own terms, rather than chasing him down with treats and stuff.

It sounds like he's trying to make a huge transition between being livestock bonded and people bonded and you have to let him learn what you're all about, first. He has no idea right now whether being approached with a piece of cheese is a good thing or a threat!

If he's supposed to be out with some livestock, then don't worry about his timidity - he'll warm up once he's sure his "flock" accepts him - and knows the food comes from you. You'll need to start some obedience work as soon as he's settled in well - Anatolians are real free thinkers and you want to be able to get your hands on him when he's bigger!
    • Silver
    I have Ovcharkas and my sister owned an Anatolian... What exactly do you need or want to know.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'd recommend getting some training books ASAP. More members can give you better recommendations, but "The Cautious Canine" is a good start. There are bunches of books about how to socialize and desensitize fearful pups.
    • Gold Top Dog
    My fiance's folks have a pyre/anatolian mix also. They got theirs at 8 weeks and it had been raised around goats rather than exclusively w/ people. Spot wasn't too sure about them at first either, warmed up pretty quick with the help of some treats and patience. He's a happy, well-adjusted teddy bear now. So much so that my fiance is planning to get one of his own once we get married and settled down into our own place.

My little Aussie wasn't too fond of people who weren't me--meaning growling & snapping--until we started taking him to puppy school at 4 months (after all his parvo & rabies shots). The teacher had us practice giving people treats, telling him "lets go say hi" in a normal tone, and letting him walk up to them on his own. Now you'd think he'd won the lottery every time we walk past someone on the street, whether they pay attention to him or not.  Though frustrating now, with some work and time I'm sure your puppy will learn to be more confident.