Silver Labs?? Are they....

• Gold Top Dog

Silver Labs?? Are they....

are they somewhere down the line, lab/weimaraner mix? because i am getting a lab/weimaraner mix puppy today and she is silver with blue eyes and she looks JUST like how some of those silver labs do...

is this where they originated from? also, anyone have a mix puppy of these breeds? if so, feedback please :)

thanks
    • Gold Top Dog
    [Deleted by Admins]
    • Gold Top Dog
    [Deleted by Admins]
    • Gold Top Dog
    i agree on the fact that they arent an "Official Lab Colour". But i also agree with the people writing letters. all this site is doing is advertising this colour for free. i didnt even know they existed until you posted that link.
    honestly the pictures i saw looked like a chubby weim.

i dont know much about weims. my brother had one when he was a kid, before i was born. i've only met one other before that and he was vicious. but that doesnt mean they are all like that of course.
    i want to do some more research on this and find out why they might be cross breeding these two and trying to pass them off for silver labs. other than the profit of a new flashy colour.... i'm still curious.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I have got to think that a weim/lab mix would be the neediest most spastic dog ever to walk the face of the earth!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Since when do people care about the personality of a dog? thats one of the main reasons shelters are packed the brim. most people just care if the dog "looks cool" and.. .well silvers DO look kinda cool.. but.. ah.. i'm with ya on that. why mix them?
    • Gold Top Dog
    The only way a Labrador could be Silver is if it was mixed with a Weim, therefore, being a Lab/Weim mix.

Not so or according to the links that you posted. 

from [linkhttp://www.blueknightlabs.com/articles/silver/silver.html]http://www.blueknightlabs.com/articles/silver/silver.html[/link]

As I said, there have been accusations that these "rare" silver Labradors are actually a cross between a Labrador and a Weimaraner. I will let you be the judge, as there is no evidence at this time, one way or the other.

from [linkhttp://www.labbies.com/silver.htm]http://www.labbies.com/silver.htm[/link]

The AKC Stand on Registration of Silver Labradors:
    [blockquote]
    [blockquote]
    [blockquote]
    Response of Jack Norton of the AKC on 1/24/00 giving AKC official position on the issue of Silver Labs.

The registry of the American Kennel Club is based on parentage and not the coat color of a member of any breed.

In 1987 the AKC, in corporation with the Labrador Retriever Club of America, conducted an inquiry into the breeding of litters that contained members that were registered as silver. An AKC representative was sent to observe these dogs. The report and color photographs of these dogs were reviewed by AKC staff and representatives of the Labrador Retriever Club of America. Both Parties were satisfied that there was no reason to doubt that the dogs were purebred Labrador Retrievers, however they felt that the dogs were incorrectly registered as silver. Since the breed standard at the time described chocolate as ranging in shade form sedge to chocolate, it was felt that the dogs could more accurately be described as chocolate rather than silver. This remains the current policy of the American Kennel Club.

Jack Norton
    Special Services Dept
    [/blockquote][/blockquote][/blockquote]
    Some Falsehoods Regarding the Silver Coloration in Labs
    [blockquote]
    There is no such thing as a silver Labrador.[/blockquote]
    [blockquote]
    False. This is really more an argument based on semantics and upon which most conflicts regarding the silver color in the breed are based. Silver Labs do exist here and now, however, history records of the Labrador breed strongly support the conclusion that the silver color was introduced sometime in the mid-history (between the 1940s - 1950s) of the Labrador breed (see below for discussion of origins).   For this and other reasons, the trait is not considered as being representative of the breed.

[/blockquote]
    • Gold Top Dog
    http://www.silverlabs.com/controversy.htm#.

this was rather informative as well.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I have never heard of Silver Labs.  DumDog, I looked at the site that you listed, I think they look awesome!  Just my opinion there!
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Bullymom

I have never heard of Silver Labs.  DumDog, I looked at the site that you listed, I think they look awesome!  Just my opinion there!

i do too to be honest, which is why i said the first site - against - is only calling attention to them. they may not be standard bred dogs, but most buyers dont want show-ring perfection... i'm sure many of the people buying these silver dogs are getting them because they still get their Lab personality with a unique colouration.
    And, in reference to another thread, if i wanted a scary looking dog, that would be it! the eyes are down right creepy and he's got the bulk of a rotty.... looks like a hound from hell lol
    • Gold Top Dog
    The silver lab puppies on the website are gorgeous - no other comment at this time[8|]

Any of you ever hear of a  Cream Labrador (German name) maybe Belgian Cream Labrador.  Someone I heard of got one through a breeder in Florida (internet) for the incredible price of $2500.00 - looked up rare breeds and international breed listings and coudn't find it.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I would be very cautious about "silver" labs.  The color does remind me of a weimaraner, but they definately have the lab build.  I really don't know what I think about them.  They are cute though!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Here's a pretty informative article on silver Labs.  Silver is actually a dilute chocolate.  Weird, huh?  You'd think it would be a dilute black.

[linkhttp://www.woodhavenlabs.com/silverlabs.html]http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/silverlabs.html[/link]

...Any of you ever hear of a  Cream Labrador (German name) maybe Belgian Cream Labrador.  Someone I heard of got one through a breeder in Florida (internet) for the incredible price of $2500.00 - looked up rare breeds and international breed listings and coudn't find it.  

Cream is just a very light yellow.  Same thing with "white" Labs.  On the other end of the yellow spectrum is the fox red.

• Gold Top Dog
    Yes, "silver" is dilute bb chocolate. It's an odd color - Border Collies come in this color also and it looks the same. It's called "lilac" among the candy color and fancy breeders - just grey when it pops up in working lines. Dilute black is a very dark slate color, not anywhere near that pale. It can be so dark that you hardly notice it unless the dog is standing near a nondilute black dog. And ee yellow can also be dilute - this is called "lemon" yellow among fancy Border Collie breeders. I've never seen it in working lines.

Just to throw another monkey wrench into the works, these dilute colors can be affected by the merle gene.

There is some thought that the dilute gene might be associated with skin/haircoat problems, in particular allopecia. I certainly wouldn't deliberately seek a line that was concentrating this gene in their dogs, for that reason.
    • Puppy

I saw this post (late I know) and I thought I would reply if you still use this board.

If this is true that you are buying a lab weim mix that is silver with blue eyes. IF the lab is purebred this means that she had already carried the d gene in order to produce a Silver dog. (Dilute gene naturally existed in the lab

(Both parents have to carry the dilute gene to produce a silver.)

Meaning the lab could have produced a purebred silver lab if bred to another purebred who carried the d gene