Wolf Dog Hybrids

• Gold Top Dog
    If you want to know what its like living with a wolf dog then RESEARCH WOLVES AND DOGS.... then compare notes. Based on my own personal experience with dogs as well as wolves you can think of the wolf as a really badly behaved large dog.... sometimes. Training them is not impossible, but some things might be difficult to teach.
     wolves are highly territorial, they probably WONT like strangers coming around, such as mailmen, meter readers, exterminators, girl scouts, etc. But then again so are other breeds like dobermans, rotties, shepherds, bulldogs, and border collies.
    Wolves are independant. i dont know who told you they would stick by your side, but they havent got a clue. A wolf is just as apt to run off and do his own thing as a blood hound, beagle, husky, or shiba inu. Just like someone else mentioned.... their way of thinking is "Whats in it for me?" Wolves are hunters. Yes they are pack animals, but they are also used to doing their own thing. Each pack has its own hierarchy, alpha beta omega.... so you have to determine which one you want. do you know to choose that type of puppy? what personality tests you need to perform and what behaviours to look for when choosing? If not then you need to keep researching, or perhaps ask that advice while you're here.
    Some dog breeds have dummed down over the centuries so that they think they are still puppies, the behave like puppies, they dont challenge your authority like puppies, they are eager to make you laugh or do anything to please you.. like a puppy. Wolves are not dummed down, once they are adults then they remain adults and they behave like adults. just like other dominant breeds such as bulldogs, and rotties, they will try to push you around to get what they want. They might be subtle about it, something inocent like sitting on you, jumping up on you, or sleeping on the sofa or in your bed.... others might be more aggressive... growling at you while they eat, growling at you when you try to move them off the sofa or bed, or if you try to move them AT ALL as well as trying to stare you down. And if you back down just once, then youv'e already lost the battle and are in the process of creating a monster. That is why its important to know what you want... an alpha or omega.
    All of my dogs (now, as well as in the past) were trained using a wolfpack mentality.... no i didnt learn it from the dog whisperer... he stole my idea.[8|]
    ever since i was a kid i've seen the similarities between wolf and dog behaviour, so i applied that to my own training methods. I can control my dogs with just a look, or a tone of voice or posture, not to mention a combination of all three.. My dogs will automaticlly stop, back up, and correct themselves.... and these are bulldogs... said to be the most stuborn breed around. I'm also pleased with the fact that these bulldogs were trained this way as adults and not as puppies, but that particular method of training is best used while the dog is still a puppy.

I'm not going to discourage you from your dog of choice, but please keep researching before you seek out a breeder.
    As mentioned before, people lie.... they say their dog is half wolf, but in reality it is a husky mix, just to get more money.. some people have the idea that a wolf is the same as a husky or malamute.... no. one is happy go lucky, and the other is in a territorial "seek and destroy" frame of mind.
    I had a rescused King Shepherd once whose grandmother was half wolf.... this shepherd of mine would stalk squirrels and snatch them off of trees. he would come home with half dead possums so he could play with them. once he found an armordillo and spent three hours chasing it through the woods. not to mention when my mom's chickens got loose he killed several of them at his leisure. his biggest crime was that he would climb on top of cars to chase cats.. Other than that he was a perfectly well behaved boy. It was when we werent home that he would turn into a monster.
    Like i said before... i wont discourage you because ultimately the decision is totally up to you. People that race in the iditarod, not to mention the inuit themselves, believe the best lead dog for a team is a wolfdog. Alaskan huskies have a lot of wolf in them, as well as other breeds. they are night and day when compared to siberian huskies - here is an interesting article on walking an ex sled dog -http://www.alaskan-husky-behavior.com/

If you get a puppy then you may not have as many problems as you would if you got a rescued adult that has been ruined by previous idiot owners. Wolves are very demanding too when they want attention. just think broken glass..... knocked over tv set.... and a sofa with the arms chewed off.....

anyway, all my rambling aside, please keep asking questions, and let us know what you decide :)
    • Gold Top Dog
    What should I know about these dogs before I look for a breeder?‚‚

would a respectable breeder breed wolf-dog hybrids?

an acquaitance bought a pup from a wolf-dog hybrid "breeder". the "breeder" sold the dog too young (6 wks. if i remember correctly).

the dog was fine as until it was about 4-5 months old. at that point she started being very destructive in the house no matter how much exercise she got. by 6-7 months old things got to the point that my friend banished his companion to the detatched garage and backyard. by a year old my friend had a 100+ lbs of uncontrollable and dangerous dog. i have not spoken to my friend in many months so i dont know what has happened to the dog at this point.

i feel sorry for the dog. she was born into a bad situation. i am ashamed of my friend. an otherwise intellegent and nice person. many people warned him before he bought the dog that this was a bad idea. i have nothing but contempt and hatred for the "breeder".
    • Gold Top Dog
    One of the things I have been told and seen in print concerning hybrids, take them young.  This apparently to address the bonding and socialization to a more wolf like set of behaviors that would occur with longer time with mom.  Have no clue if it is actually true.
    • Gold Top Dog
    My experience with wolf hybrids is that they are by no means a good pet in the sense that most people would want.  They're not tame.  Don't expect them to behave like a dog.  Dogs are essentially puppies for life with all kinds of inhibition.  Wolves have no inhibition.  They mature fully.  Wolf hybrids are too much for most people to handle.  My experience is with real high percentage hybrids that were all either dumped or surrendered by their owners.  My vet worked in a wolf/wolfdog rescue program.  The reasons they were surrendered were many.  These were the lucky few.  People want an exotic looking animal that behaves like a dog, but that is not what you will get.  You'll get a strong animal that is not nearly as inclined to please you or listen to you as a dog. 

In my opinion no wolf hybrid breeders are reputable.  To me it's just a very strong, potentially dangerous designer dog people get because they want to feel like they have control over something wild or they like the wild look. 

Usually doesn't end well.  Very few people have what it takes to properly care for them.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I am inclined to agree with those who have said that they see all wolf hybrid breeders as non-reputable.... because I cannot see the purpose of producing or owning these animals....?  Are there any hybrid-fanciers out there?  Could you enlighten me?  I don't mean to sound rude, I am sincerely curious.... WHY cross dogs with wolves.... does it make them any more fit for a purpose than any breed already in existance and much safer?  Genuinely confused on this one.
    • Gold Top Dog
    another thing i would like to point out is the common misconception that wolf dogs make good watch dogs.
    They do not. Perhaps it depends on the percentage of dog.... but if that's the case then just get a dog. if you like the wolfy/wild look, then get a nordic breed that LOOKS like a wolf.
    people need to Stop trying to "Recreate" the dog.... i've seen one set of people cross breeding coyotes to huskies, which is where some of those "Indian Dogs" come from. yep. gorgeous little coyote-dogs, but i think thats asking for trouble.
    My grandmother adopted a coydog once. Lady was a little angel for the most part, but she was a horror when she took a notion to be. If you surprised her she would bite you, if you walked her she would do flips, then bite you, if you tried to help her while injured, she would bite you. My husband has a pair of jeans that have a rip in the rear area (you know that sensitive part right under your butt cheek?) He decided to step outside one evening and didnt see that Lady had decided to take a nap right under the door... he stepped right on her, she freaked out and bit him, then cowered, then ran and hid.
    Fortunately she didnt break the skin, gave him a real good pinch though, not to mention tearing the jeans......
    And that was just a COYDOG! No bigger than an Australian Cattle Dog.....

yep.. LOTS to consider before taking on a wolf dog. But its like any other decision when it comes to bringing an animal into your home. You need to get yourself trained before you even attempt this. They're like some other breeds that come with warning lables.... For Experiences Owners ONLY.
    • Gold Top Dog
    common misconception that wolf dogs make good watch dogs.
    They do not.

I have to agree with this. Ours would never bark at anything. Once watched in horror as she hid and then tried to sneak up on the UPS delivery guy, probably would have bitten him badly if I hadn't intervened.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Out of the 3 that I had none barked at anything ever!  They would howl at sirens and icecream trucks, and at us when they were excited to se us, but NOT a good watch dog at all. If someone was to break into my house I think they would growl and then hide. I had them at seperate times and they weren't related, so its just how they are. They were cat and small dog killers too, they were really sneaky about it too, you couldn't tell when they were about to attack they looked like they just wanted to play but they didn't. They never killed anyones dogs but they did get a cat and a oppposom one time, after that I knew if they ever came to close to ANY smaller animal they would try to kill it.  If they ever saw anything running including children they would emediatly want to give chase, it just triggered that instinct and they couldn't help it. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    As an owner of a WD,I will put my 2 cents in.
    Some here may remember my situation,and for those who don't,I will do a quick refresh.

Kuruk came to live with us at the age of 4 months after having lived with 2 other families.The first family bought him for 1500 dollars(advertized by a disreputable breeder as an NAID),and for reasons unknown,gave him to a second family(a young couple who didn't have time for him.He was also very shy around the man).He was posted on a rescue site and it was said he would be put down if not adopted.This was a recommendation from their behaviorist.

My wife saw the ad,the dog was brought to us.I had a suspicion of what the dog was and started doing research.Strangely enough,I had spent the past 2 years doing wolf research and study because of my other dog Kovu(who is not a WD)

The breeder was a very dishonest person,who did not disclose the wolf heritage,and peppered their site with lies about how the dogs are social,great gaurd dogs,and hypoallergenic.I was furious when I found the website of this breeder,and started digging deeper.(NAID is supposed to mean Native American Indian Dog,but in most cases is code for wolf mix)

It took me a full year before Kuruk would feel comfortable being in the same room with me.This only came about by my constantly doing everything I could to get him to trust me.i remember weeks and months of sitting in the middle of the room,not moving,with raw meat treats in my lap.kind of like the scene in Dances with wolves where Costner is trying to bacome social with 2 socks.It doesnt happen over night.This particular dog,along with many others I have visited,are naturally shy of people and men.

Anyway,Kuruk is now 1 and 1/2 years old and nearing his maturity phase.All WD's are different but there are things you need to know before bringing one of these guys into your home.Kuruk is starting his testing phase,and it is important not to set up confrontational situatiins with your dog..they will test your boundries.by trying to physically dominate your WD,you may lose his respect.repeated situations like this could very well cause him to lash out .

An example from our life is as follows.Kuruk is not allowed on the furnature unless invited.my wife and I went into the kitchen,and Kuruk decided to hop onto the sofa.when I  entered the room,I saw him,and with his marrow bone,something he is never allowed to have on the sofa.I stepped forward and commanded him off.He just looked at me .i stepped forward casually and comanded again.A small growl came from deep within his throat.Kuruk is 80+ lbs and in very good condition i might add.I might ask how big you are,and in what kind of physical condition?Would you know what to do in a situation like this?

Now,instead of reaching for him and pulling him off(which would have gotten me fear bitten I am sure)I walked around the sofa,and when he was distracted,I bumped the sofa.He was startled and jumped off.I then sat on the sofa,and he looked at me like he got the point.He came over and licked my face,and that was the end of that situation.

Many here have made valid points.Do I think it is impossible to raise a WD responsibly and with great results?No..it depends on the commitment from the owner in both time and money.

Do I think WD's ought to be bred purposely?My answer is only by a very small percentage of people who actually know what they are doing,and have the resources to find perfect homes for the offspring.of course this is true with any breeder,and we know how many irrisponsible breeders there are out there,with any breed.As long as there is money to be made...

If you are intent on getting one,I would either go the rescue route(and if they don't think your situation is right for the dog,I hope you can accept that)or get involved with a Wd rescue organization for awhile and visit homes with these dogs before bringing one into your home.

Also,there are plenty of books to read on the subject..A couple of them I was particularly happy with were "Wolfdogs A-Z"and "Living With Wolfdogs",both by Nicole Wilde.

Here is my boy Kuruk.

And here is a pic of what he did(albeit not intentionally.He was after my boy Kovu,who i now need to keep separate.)When I got in the way of a fight.He is a very powerful dog..

that scratch is about 2 1/2 inches long,and only took a seconds worth of stupidity on my part.Don't think it could happen to you..?you are thinking of making what could be a 15 year investment into this animal.Will your life situations change?Will you make the changes based on whats good for the dog?It sounds kind of extreme,but big dogs can be extreme.the dog will have to come into contact with other dogs and people at some point,and i have seen some of these dogs,socialized well,still not overcome the shyness.

I hope you make a good decision based on research and first hand knowledge from a rescue organization or two.This is not something anyone should rush into.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I had a hybrid when I was younger.  She was Husky/Timberwolf.  Great dog.  I could ride around on her back and she slept in my room at night.  The only thing...  She was very possesive.  She thought that the couch was her's and one morning, my dad wanted to lay on said couch and she growled at him and showed teeth.  He gave her to one of his friends that owned a farm and she was great there for a while.  Until one day, dad's friend got the bright idea to give her freshly butchered pig meat and she freaked out.  She tried to bite his kids and I hate to say it, but he shot her.  Hybrids are illegal here in NC now.  I would really recommend finding a rescue and spend some time with these dogs before commiting to one.  They are fine one minute and nasty the next.  If your heart is set, get one while it is young and spend lots of time with it.  I'm not trying to be mean.  I have two pits and people think that I am crazy for having them.  I just want to be sure that this is the right dog for you!  Good luck
    • Gold Top Dog
    I have seen ads in our local newspaper often for wolf hybrid puppies.  Frankly it disgusts me that a "breeder" will advertise them in a newspaper where irresponsible owners wanting to own a cool WD can have easy access to them.  Ever since I was younger I had wanted a wolfdog.  Then I started doing research on them.  Now, I absolutely love wolves, but I realized they are wild and don't make the greatest pets.  I had an internship set up for a couple different wolf facilities a couple summers ago but ended up not going because of money issues and they were volunteer work.  But anyways...my mom had a wolfdog growing up.  A shepherd/wolf mix to be exact.  She really loved that dog.  But now, ask her if she'd get another and she'll tell you she'd love another shepherd but not a wolfdog.  That WD was a great escape artist.  Whenever they realized he was gone they'd have to go down to their grandmother's house to fetch him.  Why?  Because their grandmother had a chicken coop and the WD would get into it and kill the chickens.

If you do decide to get a WD, please meet with a rescue first.  You will get first hand experience around wolfdogs.  You can never know for sure they are the right animal for you until you meet them up close and personal.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: adrenalinefiend

I am interested in having a wolf-dog hybrid as a companion. What should I know about these dogs before I look for a breeder?

Nope! Do not get a wolf/dog hybrid as a pet.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Cane Corso
    Nope! Do not get a wolf/dog hybrid as a pet.

That is a compelling argument..[:)]
     Care to list why you say this?

There are plenty of WD's needing homes,and for all we know,this person might have the home a dog like this needs.

I have laid out my reasons as to why someone should or shouldn't have one in the home,and have cautioned against rushing into the decision.

Would I ever BUY one...Absolutely not.I would venture to guess that 99% of these breeders(like alot of other breeders of other breeds)ought to be shut down..But adoption could save a life.And there are plenty of these guys out there who need a home,but only as long as the home is good for the dog.Reaserch,and hands on.Starting new,I wouldn't even consider doing it util you have had a full year or two of study and hands on..If a person who was willing to wait that long,while donating time at a rescue,and still wanted one,it would tell me that having the dog wasn't just a passing interest.

If no one were to ever take them in,they would all be PTS..We don't know this posters position and what they can do for the dog.

They did mentiopn companion,and they can be very good companions,as long as you have a secure area at home,and walk them on leash..Escape proofing is possible.This is only a matter of money.Finanial matters I spoke of earlier.

Some people say"well,for all that trouble,why would you want one?why would you bring on into your home?"\\

My answer is,"Because these dogs didn't ask to be born,and though we had no say so in the matter,all dogs deserve a chance at a good life in a world that people are ruining."
    • Gold Top Dog
    Like some people have already said, I would check to see if it's legal to own them around where you live.  Wolves are wild creatures and if you bred it with a domestic dog, it will still be wild.  They are also known to be very territorial, so they could break loose from a fence or tie-out and kill someone walking by. 

And really, what do you like about wolf hybrids so much?  Looks?  Temperament?  You said that you wanted it as a companion, but they are very independant, so you would have much of a "companion".  I would really sugest getting a Siberian Husky instead.  They look somewhat like wolves and they are actually domesticated.  Here are some links.

[linkhttp://dogbreedinfo.com/siberianhusky.htm]http://dogbreedinfo.com/siberianhusky.htm[/link]

Here's a quiz you can take to see what kind of dog would be right for you, if you change your mind about the wolf hybrid.

[linkhttp://dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm]http://dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm[/link]
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: MhadDog

That is a compelling argument..[:)]
    Care to list why you say this?

There are plenty of WD's needing homes,and for all we know,this person might have the home a dog like this needs.

Are you really that dumb? Wolves are not for pet and they are better off in the wild.  When I read in the newspaper about people who keep tigers, cougars, and elephants in their yard as a pet, these people are simple stupid. What do they think they are getting themselves into? Huh, aren't you some kind of freak who want a cougar, wolf, tiger, or wolf in your backyard to play with? Wolves and dogs are two different species and people who are so foolish to think that they will get a dog behave alike wolf.  I am not going to waste my time talk to stupid people who think it is ok to have a wolf as a pet.

[linkhttp://www.leerburg.com/wolfcross.htm]http://www.leerburg.com/wolfcross.htm[/link]

[linkhttp://www.fws.gov/midwest/wolf/biology/nwf-hybrids.htm]http://www.fws.gov/midwest/wolf/biology/nwf-hybrids.htm[/link]

[linkhttp://www.canismajor.com/dog/wolves.html]http://www.canismajor.com/dog/wolves.html[/link]

[linkhttp://www.wolfcountry.net/information/WolfDog.html]http://www.wolfcountry.net/information/WolfDog.html[/link]

[linkhttp://www.wolftrust.org.uk/petwolves.html]http://www.wolftrust.org.uk/petwolves.html[/link]

Now these sources for you to read about.