Shih Tzu lovers out there!!

• Gold Top Dog
    What a cutie!
    • Silver
    Thanks. I have to go get him ready to go to the vet to figure out whats wront with his poor little butt. Poor thing... it's always something, isn't it? I cry when he's sick so this trip will be fun for no one.
    • Gold Top Dog
    What a cutie pie!! Whats wrong with him?

• Silver
    He has an infected anal gland. He's on antibiotics now. But we have to take him back to get neutered because while he was at the vet for his anal gland thing they found that his prostate is very large and with spring here it may only get worse as he smells the female dogs around and it could become a problem so we have to get him snipped. Poor thing.
    • Gold Top Dog
    But neutering is a good thing! It will reduce his chances to have prostate cancer!
    He sure is a cutie!

• Silver
    yeah its a good thing. I've wanted to do it since we got him but my husbands weird about it. Finally he understands that its better to do it.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Hi Ashley,
    I know your post was in March, so I hope you read this.  I have got a solid black Shih Tzu puppy not realizing that it is very common for them to change colors.  They don't always stay solid black.  Duke is turning silver and light brown (or something like that)  He's still a little cutie, but it's a little disappointing when you find out your solid black puppy will grow up to be a silver/gray color.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thanks for the pic Kelly! Both of your pups are adorable.  I just love the way the solid blacks look, but it is true, darker colors on Shih Tzus tend to fade eh?? I guess in a way disappointing but nothing that would change the love for your Tzu!
    My black and white is only 3 so hasnt changed much in color but my apricot is turning more and more red as he grows up!! I have seen quite a few of the black and whites who's black turns greyish as they age.  I live in Canada and I don't see solid blacks very often.  Most common are Blk and white or liver and white.  I would love to see more pics if you have any.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I loooove Shih Tzus! In my humble opinion they are the absolute best breed. I think their flat little faces are just adorable and remind me of Ewoks! 

I have a 10 month old liver and white male ;puppy named Gingerbread. He's my little angel!! He also has some of the allergy/itching issues mentioned by other Tzu owners on here. Right now he's eating Timberwolf Organics and doing much better. I also started giving him purified water and am going to add Timberwolf's Wild Elements supplement also to try and eliminate the occasional itching that he still has.

It seems to me by the huge proportion of Shih Tzu with allergy issues (that seem yeast related) that as a breed perhaps they don't do well with grains. I know that my Shar Pei (RIP) had similar issues and when he ate my roommate's dog's Beneful his ears flared up like CRAZY. I think the corn, wheat, grains, artificial colorings,  etc. make it one of the absolute worst on the market. Not to mention that the 4th ingredient is "animal" fat. Yikes! The fact that it isn't even identified makes me very suspicious that it isn't rendered euthanized animals. Anyway, enough of the food rant! I obviously care very much about nutrition. ;)

I'll try to post some ;pics of him....

Here he is when I first got him at 9 weeks

A couple of months later:

Here's the most recent one, although it was taken in January and he's had a haircut.

• Gold Top Dog
    My beloved departed Mopsie was what they now call a brindle. But back in the older days I think they called it grizzle. At least that is what was on his AKC registration.

I have two Tzus, Ziggy and Nemo, 3 and 2 1/2 yrs old.

• Puppy
    Hi , I live in Australia with my 3 dogs - Princess Charlotte (maltese x shih tzu ) , Henry ( shih tzu ) and Teddy ( lhasa apso ) . Both my boys are rescue dogs , adopted at 8 and 6 months of age . I have a passion for black and white shih tzus , I have owned this color from the age of 8.Sarah
    • Bronze

hello i have a black/white shih tzu male there not that common[:o]
    • Bronze
    my shih tzu apears to have a shampoo allergy, every time he is bathed he comes up in bad sores which he wont stop biting, and licking, i have tryed bathing him in savalon and it appears to of worked, although he is still coming up in a few places mainly at the base of the tail, on his side, and on his head, has anyone got any idea of how to allievite it please can any one help me many thanks
    • Gold Top Dog
    I have a black and white one too Naomi.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I had a black/white one too- Candy. (see my siggie pic).
    Have you checked for fleas?

I've found NuSalT or Selsun blue (for people dandruff) works really well. How often do you bathe him?