Help with Cane Corso's

• Gold Top Dog

Help with Cane Corso's

Well due to I am not getting any help with my topic I thought i would post it in here.

Are there two different types of Cane Corso's. Due to the fact I see some Cane Corso's with wrinkles and some with out. If I was looking to buy a Cane Corso without wrinkles I would have to look at th Parents?

Also are Cane Corso active dogs due to I am looking for a Large breed active dog with whom I can go jogging with every day.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I would say you best bet is to talk to a breeder and ask about that line. Like any dog if you are going to buy one ask as many questions as you can think of.

I just goolged them to get more info but I could not find any info about the difference in wrinkles. Try reading through this site to get an idea. The link I will post is for people interested in buying a cane corso and what to look for in the breed, I agree with most of what they say here.
    http://www.canecorso.org/beware.htm
    • Gold Top Dog
    I have never seen a Cane Corso with wrinkles.  Are you sure you're not thinking of a Neopolitan Mastiff which are very wrinkly???

Also, Corso's are guard dogs.  They are very protective of family and turf.  They are aloof with strangers, yet good with kids in the family.  I'm not sure that I would want to jog in the neighborhood with an adult Corso, even one that is properly socialized.  They do need exercise, but I don't think of Corso's as "joggers" per se. 

Most of the Mastiff breeds are large boned and have health issues related to size, etc.   Jogging regularly may not be the best thing for these breeds, as it would be with a sporting breed who enjoys this.  A Corso would enjoy patrolling his home and they are generally quiet dogs.  Here's a picture of  a proper head shot and I don't see wrinkles.  These ears are also cropped, not natural.

• Gold Top Dog
    Yep I ask the owner he said it was a Cane Corso dog. But I have looked after a few Cane Corso dogs they seem VERY active. That is why I asked this due to I was shocked because it was a large dog breed.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Yes, there are two different "types" of Cane Corsos; the American and Italian. Although all Corsos came from Italy, most of the ones imported from Italy have changed horribly. They look like mutts. They should never have an excess of wrinkles to the point where you can't tell what breed they are.

And yes, they are a VERY active breed. Just because they are a mastiff doesn't mean anything. They are the only true coursing mastiff and they were not only bred for guarding. They were bred to do everything; from hunting, to herding, to LGD, to protection. They did it all.

But sadly, the American bred Corsos aren't very active as their Italian brothers. Most all the American bred Corsos look like a short Pitbull mix thing. Usually they have some Neo in them to bring out the wrinkles, and Pit in them to bring out the stockiness. And then they are bred for aggression here, yuck.

There is only one American breeder (that has a website) that I would call a good, well informed, well educated Cane Corso breeder. Your best bet is to get an import, since it'll be the same price anyway. You won't be getting the real thing, and it's shame too. D:

• Gold Top Dog

Even though Cane Corso's were not only bred for guarding, you need to understand fully that this is a potentially dangerous dog, due to size and predisposition, that must be managed and trained correctly to remain safe.  If you are an inexperienced owner, and not well versed in how to socialize, train and handle a possibly assertive large breed dog, but you still want a jogging companion, think about Boxers, Foxhounds (much overlooked, but healthy breed, and can trot for miles and miles), Viszlas, or other dogs that generally get along with people and other dogs and are easier to deal with.  Another consideration is insurance.  Some companies are getting wise to the newer guardian breeds, and it isn't just Pits and Rotts that have trouble with homeowners ins these days.

• Gold Top Dog

Just a reminder to anyone reading that while current info is useful, this thread is over 2 years old and it's likely that the OP has long since made her choice.  Please feel free to start new threads in the breed section if anyone so wishes.

Thanks!