Types of Breeds for Large Apartment

• Bronze

Types of Breeds for Large Apartment

Live in a big city and have a fairly large apartment. What brands are great for the city and don't require a whole lot of exercise? Thanks!
    • Gold Top Dog

All dogs require exercise.  :) Some are less high energy than other breeds.  Greyhounds make good apartment dogs.  They tend to be very mellow dogs.  They do need to get out and walk or run but generally low key as far as energy levels.  Keep in mind that any dog of any breed can vary from the "norm".   There are a lot of greyhounds in rescue if you're interested in adopting an adult dog.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Yes all dogs need exercise. Great Danes believe it or not, they are big, but make good apartment dogs, they do need a walk or a good run everyday. Like Jackie said Greyhounds are awesome. You can even look into adopting an older dog that is past its puppy stages and just likes to chill and only requires minimal exercise. You can inquire with local shelters and rescues to see about older dogs up for adoption. Good luck and please keep us posted.

• Bronze

I live in an apartment too. Before getting our dog, my wife did some research and found out that the shihtzu would be a good fit for us as it is a small dog , doesn't bark a lot, likes too play and is very affectionate. Turned out to be true. Nina (www.myfunpetlife.com/petlife1_dog_nina) is a great dog and was the perfect fit for us and for the apartment. She just doens't like to be left at home by herself though. So we try to avoid that.

• Puppy

In my opinion (for what it's worth) I wouldn't get a big dog. Some of the smaller breeds like Welsh Corgis, Shihtzu, Scottish Terrier...around those sizes.

• Silver

I have had about a half dozen shih tzus and they are definitely a great pick., Like JFN said,

• Puppy

Believe it or not, a retired rescued greyhound is a great apt. dog. They are total couch potatoes. Mine does great with 4 or 5 walks a day. When he goes to the dogpark its all I can do to get him to burst into a trot. Btw, my apt. is 700 sq. ft.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

agree about a retired greyhound & SOME danes (check great dane rescue and you will see plenty of high energy danes dumped because people assume they are all chilled out).

mastiffs are often very relaxed, the like a walk but that is usually enough.

One thing I can recommend is getting a slightly older dog , even 2 or 3. You will be much better able to assess their temperament and energy needs (& barking behavior).

• Puppy

100% retired greyhound. My mum has her second one now, who is a 3rd old male. He is so lazy! Sometimes he wont even come to the door to greet us with the other dog, he just lies on his bed wagging his tail, wanting you to go to him. but so gentle and affectionat.,Both ours have been big sooks that love nothing more than to cuddle up to someone on the couch or wherever you are. I have been a dog groomer for 16 years and met a lot of dogs, but I am in totally in love with this breed. I couldnt think of another breed that would be more suited maybe a great dane but I completely agree with the previous comment, I have seen a few not-so-calm ones, whereas a greyhound seem to all be very calm and gentle. Also, you wont need to train them to walk on a lead, they are used to it and they always walk rght by yourside