DNA Testing

• Bronze

DNA Testing

There are DNA Test Kits available, where you can do a oral swab, send it off, and in a few

weeks, get a nice report on the consistency of your Dogs Ancestry.  I used the Wisdom Panel

Test, and you can see the information on them at...

http://www.wisdompanel.com/

Now, you're probably going to hear some "comments" on the accuracy of this type test.

But, technology rules, and at some point, the “Nay Sayers” are going to be compelled to yield

to Empirical Data. 

There’s a difference between an animal being Purebred (Pure Blood Line),

and having Provable Lineage or Ancestry !

My intent was to verify if my animal was Purebred.  To validate that it had an uninterrupted

bloodline of, and only Yorkshire Terrier.  DNA Testing does that.

If you wish to verify the Lineage of your Dog, then pursue the “Paper Trail”, via your Breeder,

AKC, DRA, UKC or the Parent Club Documentation.  This too can also be called Ancestry,

and these two methods “should” be complimentary, not exclusive.  Just because a Breeder

can document that their animals have been registered through AKC or another agency for

several generations, does NOT mean they are Purebred, though some unscrupulous Breeders

would have you believe that.

Wisdom Panel are not the only tests available, nor do they cover every Breed.  One can get

some very intensive Test done (which cost more) that go back farther than the number of

generations that Wisdom does.  Be sure that any test you select, meets the requirements

for your Breed of Dog, and how far back you would like to see the Blood Line documented.

Also, cost may be an issue. Wisdom generally retails for about $70, but, if one looks around,

it can be had for less when on sale. Got mine for $50.  A good search phrase would be

“canine dna test kits”.

When they get the analysis done, Wisdom gives you an Ancestry Certification Certificate,

which looks like this...

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg88/SWHouston_bucket/SneakersDNA.jpg 

Metaphorically speaking:

Lineage (the Paper Trail) tells you of the Trunk and its Branches.

DNA tells you if the Leaves are all the same color.

• Gold Top Dog

SWHouston

Now, you're probably going to hear some "comments" on the accuracy of this type test.

But, technology rules, and at some point, the “Nay Sayers” are going to be compelled to yield

to Empirical Data. 

I am not mentioning this to be a"Nay Sayer" but to share some antcedoatal experience with DNA testing. As you mentioned not every test covers every breed. Many breeds that one might think of as being deeply established because of their history etc get some intriguing results when the DNA test is done. My breed, the Rhodesian Ridgeback is not going to be covered very often by any DNA test. They have only been recognized in the USA  since the very late 50s.  When one good friend who owns one of the original RR kennels in the States did the DNA testing on one of her dogs it showed a mix of Mastiff, Dane, Airdale, Pointer and one other that slips my mind tonight.  People might be aghast at this result however these are actually some of the European breeds that were incorporated in to the Native Hottentott or KhoiKhoi dog to create then establish what we now know as the Rhodesian Ridgeback.  In fact untill they were recognized in the States by our Standard they showed up in many more colors than we would expect to see.  (The standard calls for Wheaten and Red-Wheaten)  Brindles, Black and Tans, Blues are among the many surprizes that may pop up from time to time in a purebred litter!   As a breed we only use DNA when establishing the stud of a puppy when there has been a dual cover , or a cover plus frozen insemination.

Ironically the very first time any of our friends tried the DNA testing it was on their Irish Wolfhounds. They are long established breeders who are more picky than the royal family when it comes to breeding.  The test came back showing Irish Wolfhounds but it also had shadows of poodle and another breed in very ,very small percentages. They just flat fell out! Their own line was established and carefully maintained for over 40 years ago, from lines that were traced back much farther than my own family tree!  Literally to the Stud Books in Ireland and England.  We have known them for over a quarter of a century and at no time was there any chance that even an accidental breeding possible.  ( They have an amazing kennel set up with a full time kennel manager who has always lived in.  ) In fact like many giant breeds it is difficult to secure a breeding even with repro vet assistance.  They became active in the groups of folks who despise the thought of this kind of DNA testing as they are now positive the test will never be improved enough to relay the accurate results that history should see reflected.

I do not know how long the Yorkie has been around.Although  I did buy one for my Mother 30+ years ago that was advertised as a tea cup yet ended up being a very atheletic 16 pound vermin killer with a gorgeous coat!  Henry lived for 16 years and was a wonderful boy!  A DNA test on him may have been highly interesting in many ways.

As I said I offer this story for amusement only and look forward to hearing what the DNA test reveals about your own darling furchild. :0}

• Gold Top Dog
    most results I have seen have been laughable. Because ALL dogs have SOME of every OTHER dog in there someplace....it is easy to be wrong...and still right. That is what I have seen. I do not need to know what rootstock from 30 years back went into my dog...I need to know what two dogs...produced mine...and possibly the grandparents. The rest has likely no effect on the behavior or appearance of my dog today. Of course I say need hypothetically because I do not ever NEED to know the ID of a randomly bred dog because if I cared that much I would not own a randomly bred dog, but a dog from a reputable breed of it's breed.
    • Gold Top Dog
    and in the absence of accurate pedigree from a reputable registry, and/or a direct DNA for parentage with both sire and dam participating, a dog to me is never 100% purebred without any doubt.
    • Gold Top Dog
    and lastly the kind of DNA testing of most value to me, is that for health. Finding markers, carriers, affecteds for various ailments within dogs is absolutely worth any money spent. I only wish we had such DNA testing available for ALL ailments...human and dog alike!
    • Gold Top Dog
    We've done both the cheek swab and the blood test - but on different dogs. We were a bit disappointed in the lack of results of the cheek swab, but this was a couple years ago and it was not through Wisdom Panel. They all continue to add more and more breeds to the test. I loved the blood Wisdom Panel test results - it was very thorough and seemingly accurate. I have to admit that we were lucky enough to win the fairly expensive blood test on facebook.