Boston Terriers

• Silver

Boston Terriers

Yaaayy! This pat weekend my family and I rescued a BT! He is 1.5 years old, we named him Ryder.

I have been reading up on the breed and all about their sneezing and allergies. I have him on Wellness food and he seems to be doing well on it. Anyhow he has sneezing fits, is that normal? His eyes arn't awfully red when this happens and its primarily when he first wakes up in the morning or after a nap....is he just clearing out? LO

Also he isnt gassy like some bull dogs except in the car.....kinda silly?

Lastly.....I know their prey drive can be moderate to high.....typically how is their recall? He is great when its just him and I but I havnt tested him in a highly populated area like a dog beach. I guess I'll wait sometime after we've bonded more and did some training but was just wondering in general.

Thanks everyone!

• Gold Top Dog

Dogs don't tend to get the watery, red eyes that humans get with allergies -- they *can* but it's not a 'first' sign.

Dog allergies tend to come out on the skin -- particularly in the mucus membranes of places like the ears (which is why ear infections can be allergy related at times). 

Much of this will depend on what's normal for *him* -- just note what seems to happen (mark it on a calendar -- that can be a *good* way to keep track of allergies, etc.)   But sneezing isn't a typical allergy sign -- something like paw-licking is more than sneezing.

That said -- remember, that dog noses are way different than ours.  They have an organ that is between the roof of the mouth and the nasal passages called the Jacobsen's Organ.  It is for scent - purely for scenting.  It is this incredibly thin tissue that is then sort of accordion pleated (miles of this tissue then accordion-pleated and in that tiny space) -- this increases the surface area of scent-discerning tissue so anything that he breathes in has to make its way thru the Jacobsen's organ to be "smelled" and processed.

If you see a dog raise it's head and sniff -- it is specifically utilizing the Jacobsen's Organ to determine a questionable scent -- what is it? where is it?  do I need to care? -- they get information from scent that we don't even realize is "information". 

So this may be Ryder's way of shaking sleep out of his nose -- dunno.  if it's the only time it happens, that's probably what it is.

He's a terrier -- that means not only is he scent driven, but he's pretty one-track minded about it.  He will **Pursue** it -- so with any prey-driven dog recall is a life-long training thing.

Please don't think that if he "comes" to you pretty well at home, that you can go anywhere and have him off leash.  Please **DO NOT** assume that.  Recall takes time, patience, and **lots** of training. With any dog -- but particularly a newbie in your home.

Suggestion -- get a sturdy clothesline and buy a few leash clips at HOme Depot.  MAKE some leashes.  Particularly LONG ones.  20' foot leashes are great starter recall training leashes.  But if you want to be able to have him get up a good run, then a 50' leash is FAR better than no leash. 

In honesty?  I wouldn't "trust" a new dog off leash for many months.  Simply because it will take you 6 months to a year to really begin to understand him, and figure out what things in his past may send him into overdrive.  Particularly in an off-leash situation?  Just don't do it for a long, long time.

See you don't know yet if some guy in sunglasses with something in his hand that smells like cocoanut didn't do something heinous to this dog.  It might not be bad enough to have totally damaged him -- but it could sure cause a dog to leave you in their dust while they rush someone and bite them.  You might think this dog is as gentle as they come (and he may well be) but until you have seen him in a wide variety of situations, he is going to be something of a mystery to you for a long time.

So being "over-cautious" is a really good thing.

I'm not trying to spoil your joy in this dog -- nor am I trying to be snarky.

True story:  My Billy (the cocker in my signature) -- we lost him last week.  But we got him almost 7 years ago when he was about 5.

At the time we were specifically looking for a dog we could use in pet therapy.  We got him from a rescue who was specifically wanting a family "with children" because this dog seemed SO good with kids.  In fact, the *ONLY* reason we got to adopt him was because we were going to do pet therapy with children.  The rescue was adamant how much this dog **needed** children.

We saw him interact with a young boy with a walker.  About 7 or so years old, this perfect cocker walked up to this boy, sat down and waited patiently for petting.  Wow! 

So we brought him home.  A couple of weeks later, after brushing up on some obedience we took him out.  We were greeted in the parking lot by a mother and her 3 little girls -- all blondes, and about 3, 5 and 7 years old.

Three little girls squealed in unison and held out their hands "OH DOGGIE!!" to pet him.

this sweet, loving, incredibly gentle dog MORPHED into CUJO before my very eyes. 

I'm experienced at pet therapy and always have my hands on the dog (as well as a good sturdy leash wrapped around my hand) so there was no damage done -- just 3 scared little girls, an angry mother and a dog who by that time resembled melted Jello.

phewwww -- what the heck happened?

I called the rescue -- and apparently one of Billy's "foster homes" was with a woman who was herself a foster mother for emotionally handicapped children awaiting placement.  Of course the rescue was adamant "nothing happened" but trust me -- some little blond **tch did a major number on him.

His ears were sore when we got him and apparently it had something to do with a little girl squeal and outstretched hands reaching for his ears. 

Damage?  oh hhhhhh you bet.  We were YEARS dealing with this "damage" and re-training him and desensitizing him.  Always little girls.  Little *blonde* girls. 

This was extreme -- and it was the ONLY thing we ever found that caused him to morph into a snarling demon.  But I'm just really glad we're as cautious as we are and that I had 100% absolutely rock solid CONTROL of him because it averted a bite record. 

He eventually DID do pet therapy with kids -- but he was far more comfortable in a niche group (kids with developmental disabilities -- something many dogs never enjoy because there's apt to be screaming and unpleasant sounds and smells -- yet Billy LOVED it -- because they didn't try to grab into his ear canals!!)

Like I said -- I'm not trying to ruin your fun with your new dog.  But it sounds a bit to me like you aren't experienced dog owners, so I'm just trying to encourage you to be **prepared**.  You will have years to look forward to off leash time **after** you train him and you are without-a-doubt-sure that his recall is 100%. 

It's usually someone else who does something stupid to put *your* dog at risk.  But it's the owner/guardian's responsibility to keep their own dog safe, despite how stupid someone else may be. Does that make sense to you?

Bostons are one of my favorite breeds -- they are full of character, and fun.  Good luck and have a blast with your new baby!!

And pssssttttttttt -- we LOVE pictures on here!

• Silver

CalMama
    Lastly.....I know their prey drive can be moderate to high.....typically how is their recall? He is great when its just him and I but I havnt tested him in a highly populated area like a dog beach. I guess I'll wait sometime after we've bonded more and did some training but was just wondering in general.

Thank you for your reply. I wasn't insinuating that I was on my way to the park to let him off leash and even though you said you wern't trying to come off as snarky it is kinda rude to assume I am a inexperienced dog owner. I have owned many dogs but this is my first rescue and my first BT. I am very aware of their high prey drive but I know some breeds are generally better off leash (after proper training of course) then other breeds. Maybe its just me but if I see a collie, lab or aussie off leash I am a little more confident that he'll stay next to his owner then if I see a Boxer, Hound or Pt Bull......thats just a generalization of course. I have primarily owned pit bulls and only one was ever reliable off leash.......I'm not in a rush to take my BT off leash.

Aside from that I appreciate your feedback and am happy to be back on Idog!