Could someone help me identify possible breed mix of puppies?

• Bronze

Could someone help me identify possible breed mix of puppies?

Hello! I am a new dog owner. We adopted her in November 2010. Soon after she gave birth to 7 beautiful puppies. After searching pictures online I feel confident in saying that 'Daisy' is a beagle/dauschund mix,but if someone believes otherwise I am up for suggestions! LOL I have included images of our dog Daisy and some of her puppies. We have found good homes for all,but 2 puppies. The vet thinks they may be bloodhound mix. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/21dphdv.jpg[/IMG]  DAISY

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/j932qe.jpg[/IMG] 8 WEEKS OLD

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/efgkso.jpg[/IMG] 6 WEEKS OLD

[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/w2ku2q.jpg[/IMG] 6 WEEKS OLD
    • Gold Top Dog

I have no clue but arent they all adorable!

• Gold Top Dog

Gosh, they are cute!  So is Daisy.  Are you sure your vet said he thought the pups had Bloodhound in them?  I sure don't see that.  I'm wondering if Daddy was a Pug or Pug mix.

• Gold Top Dog

I can't see any reason to say bloodhound mix.  They are adorable, whatever the mix.  It's often almost impossible to tell what breeds contributed to a mix.  Daisy is a mix and the daddy was very likely a mix of breeds.  When you consider that mixed breeds are often mixes of mixes (that's confusing, lol) it's just a guessing game.  It's usually mixes of common breeds in your locale.  Bloodhounds aren't a very common breed in most areas and I would doubt there is any in these pups.   Good on you for taking Daisy in and giving her and her pups a chance.  I hope you find good homes for the remaining puppies. 

• Bronze

Hard to tell because no pictures of puppies standing from the side.  Leg length will tell you if dad was mostly toy breed or bigger.  I too doubt Bloodhound in any form.  Not a very common breed.  Plus, I would think the people who have them are less likely than the "average" owner to let them breed indiscrimenently. 

Might have some pit bull given the piebald coloring.  But really, who knows.  Could be so many breeds mixed in there that you will never know.  About all you might ever figure out from the puppies' eventual adult size was the approximate size of the dad.

Good for you for finding homes you have for them.  A lot of people would have dumped Daisy back at the shelter at the first sign of pregnancy.  Or, they would have dumped the whole bunch of mom and puppies after she whelped.  You've done the responsible thing.  You are to be applauded.

• Bronze

Thank you all so much for your kind words!! The vet was guessing bloodhound due to their wrinkles and loose and skin,but as you all have said they are mixes of mixes..lol .. I was just wanting some opinions :) They were weighed at 6 weeks and they were all between 5-6.5lbs (the white pie bald was only 4lbs,but she had always been the 'runt';). Once again,thanks!! =)

• Gold Top Dog

is the mother a tricolor or a solid red? Hard to tell. I have Beagles and I see more Coonhound than anything. Wrinkling can only tell you so much but many Coonhounds are wrinkled but...Pit type puppies can ALSO be extremely wrinkled...as can Ridgebacks, Viszla, Weims, and Bulldog pups.

The bitch looks like a Coohound to me...Redbone. Is there a reason you think Dachs? Are her legs inordinately short or bent? Is her back longer than is normal? I could possibly see Beagle but she looks of a size that makes me doubt.Not unheard of tho for hunters to cross in Beagle or have an oops with their rabbit and coon dogs getting together.

I'd say the pups are Coonhound Mixes..especially if they end up being very prone to scent or bay or have a decent prey drive. Given the white pup I would also say there is more than one sire.

• Bronze

In reply of if she could be a Redbone .. I googled that and she very well does resemble one! She has no tri-color at all. She is solid red! I thought she had dachshund in her because of her facial features and her back seems to be long,but her legs look nothing like a dachshund. Daisy has the characteristics of a hunting dog. She can pick up a scent in the yard and from the front to the back yard with her nose on the groun and tail straight in the air. And yes, we believe the white pups at least were from a different male. Odd thing though. The white male's face remembles a pit bull to me,but the white female (piebald) resembled a boxer maybe? I'm not sure how old Daisy is,but boy she LOVES to play and wrestle. I have 4 children and she just has a ball playing fetch and chasing after them. Here are some pics from last night I would like to share.

Casper - 9 weeks old
    Trixie - 9 weeks old

Ruby - 9 weeks old

Daisy - 11/2010

Daisy

• Bronze

Oh,I forgot. I wanted to share the white female. I no longer have her,but this is what she looked like at 6 weeks.

Her owner renamed her Madi