Adopted Thunder

• Bronze

Adopted Thunder

We recently adopted Thunder who we were told is a pure bred GSD. Every since then everyone who sees him says how cute he is but says there is no way he is "pure". Took him to the vet and they say they would find it very unlikely he is as well and pointed out some of the same things alot of other people do. Alot of people question the blue eyes, curled tail, white on chest, etc. I thought I would search for people who had alot more experience with this breed and hopefully help me determine.

WHere I got him I was told "His mother was Full Blooded German Shhpherd with two American bloodline dogs and the father is a German Import." WHen I commented on how pretty his blue eyes were I was told "There is absolutely no Husky Blood in this puppy whatsoever. Alot of people tell me he has to be Husky."

All the things That are concerning as far as maybe being mixed I have read about that it is possible for GSD to have these traits but to have so many is it poor breeding? Either way he appears to be healthy and is a beautiful puppy and we are glad to have him in our family.

I'm going to add a few pictures to give you a couple angles of him to look and hopefully help. Thanks in advance!

• Gold Top Dog
    Def some husky in there. Cute pup though! Besides it really shouldn't matter as long as its a good fot for your family
    • Bronze

I am curious why you say Husky? There have been GSD with blue eyes and that's the only thing anyone has pointed out when saying husky.

• Gold Top Dog

The eyes, the tail, the shape/proportions of the body for starters....no way the dog is pure GSD.  Who are the parents, like their actual registered names?

• Gold Top Dog
    The tail says Husky to me more than the blue eyes. Do GSD's often have tails that curl over the back like that? I don't know enough about the breed to know.
    • Gold Top Dog

huskymom
    The tail says Husky to me more than the blue eyes. Do GSD's often have tails that curl over the back like that? I don't know enough about the breed to know.

No.  As tiny puppies they do but the tail carriage should be level or lower.  When the dog is working in drive, however, the tail will come up, but in a normal "relaxed" state won't curl.  Sometimes a GSD will have a curl in the tip of their tail, but such a curl over the back usually means mix, especially given the other factors.

• Gold Top Dog

Your pup is cute. And welcome to the forum.

Your dog is not a pure GSD. Blue eyes are not associated with the breed.

The body is wrong, so is the tail, and there is no white allowed, yours has it on their chest.

Your dog is a mix...and a cute one.

• Gold Top Dog
    Ya, that's what I thought. Even for a Husky, that's a pretty tight curl, but it could be puppy coat that makes it look that way. Obviously, breeding for a proper Husky tail wasn't a priority, since the pup was sold as a GSD. Stick out tongue

Regardless, this is one of the cutest pups I've seen in a long time.

• Gold Top Dog

Tyler's tail has a curl to it, but not that severe. And I know he's a purebred GSD.  His full brother, Theo has an even thicker than normal coat and doesn't have the standard GSD body.....he's a bit different in many aspects. Supposedly their parents were both show dogs, altho I fostered the bitch and she didn't look low enough in the back or "perfect" enough to do well in the show ring.  I never saw the dad, but someone in the rescue WAS familiar with him.  So decent blood lines on both parents and still not so perfect pups, structurally.  The blue eyes are sure not common in GSD's if they actually DO happen.  I'm not an expert tho.

I guess I have to agree....I've had some absolutely wonderful mixed breed dogs.  As long as the pup is a good fit for the family, who cares?  Unless of course you spent a small fortune on what you thot was a purebred, and I can't say he isn't, even with the white on his chest, he might just not be a "good" pup, or true enough to standard to show.

• Gold Top Dog

Yeah, super cute.  Maybe part or half GSD, but hard to tell with such young puppies

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Thunder
    WHere I got him I was told "His mother was Full Blooded German Shhpherd with two American bloodline dogs and the father is a German Import."

Was this a breeder or a shelter?  When someone says they adopted a dog, I assume that means a shelter.  But it sounds like you got this dog from someone who intentionally bred the sire & dam - and if that's the case, you can just look up their registration information to see their pedigrees, etc.

So long as you didn't pay big money for a purebred GSD, then I think this is all that matters:

Thunder
    Either way he appears to be healthy and is a beautiful puppy and we are glad to have him in our family.

• Gold Top Dog

Those eyes and that tail are signs that this adorable baby is not a pure GSD.  But, it doesn't matter.  He is precious and part of the family.  Enjoy the baby and welcome to the forum.  We look forward to seeing more of you and Thunder.

• Bronze

glenmar

Tyler's tail has a curl to it, but not that severe. And I know he's a purebred GSD.  His full brother, Theo has an even thicker than normal coat and doesn't have the standard GSD body.....he's a bit different in many aspects. Supposedly their parents were both show dogs, altho I fostered the bitch and she didn't look low enough in the back or "perfect" enough to do well in the show ring.  I never saw the dad, but someone in the rescue WAS familiar with him.  So decent blood lines on both parents and still not so perfect pups, structurally.  The blue eyes are sure not common in GSD's if they actually DO happen.  I'm not an expert tho.

I guess I have to agree....I've had some absolutely wonderful mixed breed dogs.  As long as the pup is a good fit for the family, who cares?  Unless of course you spent a small fortune on what you thot was a purebred, and I can't say he isn't, even with the white on his chest, he might just not be a "good" pup, or true enough to standard to show.

I have seen all the faults in a "pure" GSD but just the number of them worries me. I have considered doing a DNA breed test but I hear such mixed results on those things. Anyway I appreciate all of your feedback and I welcome any information I can gain off these forums.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

first and foremost he is GORGEOUS!!

I have to agree with the others in thinking he is mixed not pure GSD.  I do think that black GSD's can have a white bit on their chest but the tail and eyes don't look right to me and the ears seem smaller than a GSD pup's.

The DNA tests aren't reliable so I wouldn't use that to determine his lineage.  

You love him and that is the most important part but I can see why you would be upset if you paid for a pure GSD with supposed lineage and you didn't get that. If the parents are registered I would look them up

Oh and please kiss his little nose for me!

• Gold Top Dog

kpwlee

first and foremost he is GORGEOUS!!  You love him and that is the most important part

My thoughts exactly!!!