panda GSD?

• Gold Top Dog

panda GSD?

Just looking at pups online today and this one popped up...a panda gsd? Never heard of them...is this a true color? http://www.puppyfind.com/view_listing/?list_id=73s91i8pc7&back=/breed/%3Fbreed_id%3D54%26back%3D
    • Gold Top Dog

Unless those dogs are actually black and silver, I don't think they are eligible for show, despite what the page says.  White is a disqualification and I would think so would white AND any color.  As far as Panda??  I think that's just another label like "teacup poodles" that is not recognized by the AKC, but I could be wrong.

• Gold Top Dog

glenmar

Unless those dogs are actually black and silver, I don't think they are eligible for show, despite what the page says.  White is a disqualification and I would think so would white AND any color.  As far as Panda??  I think that's just another label like "teacup poodles" that is not recognized by the AKC, but I could be wrong.

A genetic mutation that occurred and a GSD puppy was born with piebald coloration. The dog was from a well bred litter and the breeders decided to continue breeding the color. All Panda colored GSDs go back to that dog but most have now been crossed with white GSD lines. They are shown in some organizations but not in AKC. I believe that there is an for them to become a separate breed, which I think is a bit silly (although white GSDs did it). They all have very similar piebald markings over tradition GSD colors:

• Gold Top Dog

thank you for the explanation, Agile.  I'm afraid that when I think of showing, it's always AKC that comes to mind.  I believe its UKC that has accepted white gsds as a separate breed?  I know it isn't AKC, nor should it be in my opinion.  As I recall, whites will naturally occur once in every 200 pups, and I think a gsd should be a gsd should be a gsd, without a bunch of silly labels.  But, that might be because I have a white and she is stunning.

• Gold Top Dog

pssst, there's already a thread on Panda's halfway down the page: http://forum.dog.com/forums/t/110865.aspx

Yes Panda is a true color, not something mixed breed.  I personally don't like them but I like the conformation of that last dog Agile posted, heck I'd take a dog like that any day!  I have never seen a Panda, in a show or any context.

I could be wrong but I think the excess white is a fault.  As long as the Panda has correct pigment ("leather" must be black, which it looks to be) it is not a DQ like for example a blue GSD, which has blue leather.

Yes, the UKC has a white German shepherd breed for showing.  Often there are as many if not more WGS at the shows I attend than GSD.  I have seen a WGS win Best in Show at the Premier, which is the huge annual UKC showcase.  Nikon's breeder judges WGS.  I do not like the whites either, and not even so much because they are white but to me they often look much finer boned and more refined/feminine overall.  I've also seen some that looked weak in the back and/or had weird croups.  They look a lot more like moderate AKC/America show line GSDs to me.  I like dogs with some bone and substance to them, and I like nice heads with a good stop.  The examples of Pandas that Agile posted above all look better to me than most of the WGS I've seen as far as what I like in conformation.

• Gold Top Dog

Liesje
    ...I do not like the whites either, and not even so much because they are white but to me they often look much finer boned and more refined/feminine overall.  I've also seen some that looked weak in the back and/or had weird croups.  They look a lot more like moderate AKC/America show line GSDs to me...

Those are the same reasons I don't care for WGSDs.  I read something years ago that explained why they appear more like the American bred GSDs.  Now, I don't remember the articel excatly, but the jist of it is white GSDs are/were culled in Germany (Europe?), but not in America.  So, basically, the white GSDs have American lines as their foundation. 

• Gold Top Dog

I think that makes sense.  Also because they are allowed in UKC, I think the type is more closely going to follow American lines.  German lines (show and working) can do well in UKC, but generally the dogs that are competitive still most closely resemble American lines and what you would see in AKC specialty.  Luckily though the WGS seem far less extreme in the rear.  To me they resemble both a moderate American line or a working line lacking in bone and substance.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

The things you learn on this forum.... thanks for sharing the knowledge

• Gold Top Dog

micksmom

Liesje
    ...I do not like the whites either, and not even so much because they are white but to me they often look much finer boned and more refined/feminine overall.  I've also seen some that looked weak in the back and/or had weird croups.  They look a lot more like moderate AKC/America show line GSDs to me...

Those are the same reasons I don't care for WGSDs.  I read something years ago that explained why they appear more like the American bred GSDs.  Now, I don't remember the articel excatly, but the jist of it is white GSDs are/were culled in Germany (Europe?), but not in America.  So, basically, the white GSDs have American lines as their foundation. 

The well bred wGSDs are pretty much all being bred by show breeders, so it makes sense that they are selected to look like white versions of show GSDs. There has been crossing of wGSDs with American showlines, so they don't just look like American showlines but many have American showlines in their pedigrees. There are probably more pet bred wGSDs than anything else and I tend to think a lot of even the show bred wGSDs have pet lines behind them somewhere.

• Gold Top Dog

politics aside... i think they're gorgeous :) but only because its.... different from the norm. but yeah they look like something you'd find in the animal shelter. if i met one on the street i'd spend twenty minutes trying to guess what breeds went into making such a unique mutt lol

• Gold Top Dog

DumDog
      politics aside... i think they're gorgeous :) but only because its.... different from the norm. but yeah they look like something you'd find in the animal shelter. if i met one on the street i'd spend twenty minutes trying to guess what breeds went into making such a unique mutt lol

I kind of did just that- for years there was an ad for doggie wheel chairs in the back of Dog Fancy.  I was sure the dog in the ad was a GSD mix (I was thinking maybe with Akita).  I met the dog at a Super Pet Expo, too, and still thought she was a mix.  Of course, it never occured to me to ask.  Anyway, a few months after that, I heard about pand GSDs and realized that's what the dog in the wheel chair is.

• Gold Top Dog

OMG! i know what ad you're talking about too! i always admired how pretty that "mutt" was lol!!

• Gold Top Dog

As the owner of a white gsd, yes, she does have a more female build.  Would she if she were a he?  Don't know, and honestly I love her regardless of her show worthiness.

• Gold Top Dog

DumDog

For me, the dogs in the pictures have far too strong of GSD breed type for me to think "mixed breed". I always thought the dog in the wheelchair ads looked like a funny colored GSD LOL 

• Gold Top Dog

I am not an advocate of a separate breed for whites but I also don't think that they should be made fun of.