Help identify my dog's breed. Pekingese vs. Tibetan Spaniel vs. mix?

• Bronze

Help identify my dog's breed. Pekingese vs. Tibetan Spaniel vs. mix?

Hey everyone,

I made an account on here to see if I could get some help figuring out what breed(s) my dog may be.I got him from the pound a few months ago. He's about 3-4 years old, and I am head over heels, madly in love with him. I'd been keeping an eye out for a Pekingese to adopt for a while, and when I met him, despite the shelter's warnings that he was aggressive and "not very nice," I knew he was "the one."He was listed as an owner surrender, but he weighed only 9 pounds and was all skin and bones, had a terrible flea infestation, and was covered in prickly burrs and mats -- some literally the size of golf balls. My guess is that he must have been left outside and forgotten about. The groomer said the mats were 2+ years in the making. The shelter didn't have any other information on him.The groomer had no other choice but to shave him down completely.

With some good food, supplements, and lots of love, he has blossomed into a truly amazing dog. I am happy to report that I have never seen even the slightest inclination of agression from him. It must have been the atmosphere at the shelter that freaked him out. I do wish my Pom loved him as much as I do, but as long as everyone gets on peacefully, I'm happy.

Anyway, I've been calling him a Pekingese since I got him. I didn't even know the Tibetan Spaniel existed until I was watching the dog show and did a double take when they showed the breed!
    I suppose he could be a mix of both. Because his hair is still growing out from being shaved, and when I got him it was all matted and in terrible shape, I'm not quite sure exactly what it's supposed to look like, but it does look like the more "medium" length of the Tibbie as opposed to the floor-length look of the Peke. The feathering on his ears is getting pretty long, but not floor-length or anything.

His front legs are also EXTREMELY bowed, which you can see in the photos, giving him a rolling gait. When he moves, it almost looks like he's crouching down a little bit. He has huge paws...not sure if that's a particular trait of either breed. He's also veeeeeery long, much longer than he is tall.

As far as his face, it's not completely smashed in, but his muzzle has several distinct wrinkles and excess skin by the eyes, which is of course a Peke trait. He has a pretty strong underbite, and when you look at his profile, you could make a straight line from the front of his lower jaw up to his forehead. At a glance, his head is very Peke-like because of how "rounded" everything looks, and the deep wrinkles have me thinking Peke. However, the coat, as far as I can tell, seems spot-on Tibbie. Like I said, I guess he could be some kind of a mix? Or either a heavily faulted (by AKC standards) Tibbie or Peke ;)
    Anyway, I love this guy half to death, whatever the heck he is. He's just perfect for me. I'm just SO curious now. It's so funny that I've been totally Peke-obsessed for months and all of the sudden I come across the Tibbie and I'm like, wait a second, I might not even have a Peke after all!

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/meggrin/1029896266_6jXYr-O.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/meggrin/untitled2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/meggrin/leo2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/meggrin/leo1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/meggrin/CA763_17023482-1-pn.jpg[/IMG]

• Gold Top Dog

There is a small possibility of Tibetan Spaniel, BUT the breed is so unusual that he is far more likely a pet quality Peke or a very Pekey Peke mix. He's SUPER cute!!!! Welcome to the board!

• Gold Top Dog

He is adorable, looks like a Peke to me. *S*

• Gold Top Dog

jennie_c_d
    There is a small possibility of Tibetan Spaniel, BUT the breed is so unusual that he is far more likely a pet quality Peke or a very Pekey Peke mix. He's SUPER cute!!!! Welcome to the board!

That's what I was thinking, too.  He sure is a cutie!

• Gold Top Dog

I had a mix many years ago http://www.critturs.com/prissy.html

She looked VERY like your guy except she was all black with some white tips.  Back when I got her a tibetan spaniel wasn't even IN this country really -- so I'm sure pom/peke mix was as close as I could come -- but that will sometimes broaden the muzzle and make it not so "bracheocephalic" pushed in (which is not a bad thing actually).  Her feet were actually pronated just like that and the skull shape was VERY close.

Prissy even had the tibbie "personality" (they tend to be pretty "my way or the highway" type of dogs) but she was about the best dog I'd ever had.

You will see a whole new dog emerge eventually -- it will take you 6 months to a year to really see this dog bloom -- if there was that kind of neglect then a lot of the nastiness they saw initially was 'self-protect' -- my little Prissy was shy of 6 months old when I dragged her in off the street -- and she had JUST given birth.  They apparently drowned her pups and literally tossed her out of a moving car in front of my folks' house.  Her milk was nowhere near dried up *sigh*

Soon as I could I got her spayed ... and she was marvelous. 

Just enjoy him secure in the knowledge that there ain't never gonna be 'nother of him EVAH!!  He's unique -- and YOU have the priviledge to love him and have him love you!!  I mean LOOK at that face!! 

He's just plain SPECIAL!!!!

• Gold Top Dog

He looks like a pet line Peke to me. There is a huge difference in looks between pet bred Pekes and show bred Pekes. The extreme coat and facial features of the show bred Peke are quickly bred out if breeders aren't selecting for them in each generation. So when pet owners breed their pet pekes to other pet Pekes, they have a much more moderate look than what you see on TV at shows. Dogs with more muzzle and less coat, probably more historically correct for the breed than what is currently selected for at shows (although I've not looked into them enough to know for sure). Our neighbors have an adorable pet bred Peke who looks very much like you dog. Very unlikely to be a Tibetan Spaniel or mix of one, since they are very uncommon but I always think that pet bred Pekes look a bit like Tibetan Spaniels. It is one breed that I prefer the pet bred dogs to the well bred dogs.