Help!! What do you think my beautiful boy is?!!

• Bronze

Help!! What do you think my beautiful boy is?!!

P1000825

P1000775

He is five months old and about 55 lbs.  We rescued him from a shelter.  He is very affectionate and docile. He must be with the family at all times or he barks and cries incessantly... The best guess we have to his breed mix is Leonberger / St. Bernard.  Everytime I walk him everybody wants to know "What kind of dog is he?!!" and I never know what to say! Any ideas?

I forgot to mention he has webbed feet like a leonberger also!

• Gold Top Dog

Given how rare as a breed, Leo's are, I would doubt that is part of the mix (where are you regionally? the breed is more commonly seen in some places, than others). More likely Golden Retriever Mastiff...or Saint/Golden. Might even be some Akita as the brow ridges and heaviness thru the muzzle lend him an Akita like appearance. The feet and such remind also, of an Akita.

If you look at this dog, and your boy's face...they are quite similar, The squareness and "plush" of the muzzle, etc.

Very cute puppy...be interesting to see how he looks a couple years down the road!

• Bronze
    Thank you for the info! We live in the N.Y.C area but he originally came from a shelter in Virginia. I know Leo's are very rare but even the dog trainers are leaning toward a Leo mix. I am so happy with him It doesn't matter to me. He has a fantastic personality. We are looking to train him as therapy dog because he is so docile and affectionate. He also naturally gravitates to sad, sick and disabled people. It is the strangest thing. I can't wait to see what he will look like either!!
    • Gold Top Dog

Given how much he looks like a Leo, I'd guess Goldeb/Saint Bernard mix.  He's gorgeous.

• Gold Top Dog

I don't even have a guess, but OMG he is ADORABLE!!!

• Bronze
    All dogs are adorable. I love them all!! I have a Shiba Inu also. I have to admit this guy kills me! He is so sweet and soulful!! Thank you everyone for your input. I could have him tested and find out for sure but it's more fun to guess!
    • Gold Top Dog

Golden/Saint is my guess. Here's some pictures of them:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/g/goldensaint.htm

• Gold Top Dog
    I would avoid the test, they will leave you even more confused. According to a blood breed test, my dog is an Irish Wolfhound/Chow mix...nope. I have never seen a test come back with results that are anywhere near as accurate as plain old fashion guessing.

As for my guess, well, he may have some golden in there and maybe a little mastiff, a little shepherd, a little of this and that... mix of a mix for sure. He really is a good looking dog.
    • Gold Top Dog

When I first saw it before reading all the other replies I thought he looked alot like "Cleo" our resident Leo in the face.  He is adorable what ever he is!

ETA: he does look like the Saint/Golden on the breed site link.

• Gold Top Dog

Partly because of the weight I'm going to say St./Golden -- I had a little mix once who looked SO much like a rare dog mix (a tibetian spaniel) but it would  have been nearly impossible and "Little black dog mix" really fit her better. 

As your boy ages you'll see the personality come out more strongly and then you probably can make your own guess.

Like with my Luna -- we were TOLD "basset/beagle mix" -- what do i think??  HOUND MIX!!  that's the generous way to say it! LOL

• Gold Top Dog

I'd guess Saint/Golden cross or mix as well. Leos just aren't very common, so I can't imagine there are a ton out there creating mixed breeds. I'm a horse, not zebra person. Smile

He's a very handsome boy though :)

• Gold Top Dog

Looking at popularity wise, Saint Bernards are very common either.. not in my area anyway.

I'm thinking GSD/Golden mix.

• Gold Top Dog

mehpenn

Looking at popularity wise, Saint Bernards are very common either.. not in my area anyway.

I'm thinking GSD/Golden mix.

But Saint/Golden crosses are being purposely bred as "designer dogs".

• Gold Top Dog

Why? LOL

What possibly would a cross like that do to benefit either breed or the dog kingdom in general?

Okay, so I'm starting.....  I just have to accept that I don't understand it and move on.

Anyway, it's a cute pup regardless of what it is...

• Gold Top Dog

mehpenn
    Why? LOL...

So the people who produce them can sell them as Leo look a likes.  You know the drill- have a dog that looks like a rare breed without paying the rare breed price.  Tongue Tied

Dryfuss, the dog in the televsions series "Empty Nest" was a Saint/Golden mix.  So was the dog that was  in the short lived series 'Father Murphy" (I think that dog was the other one's father).  Anyway- there's another selling point- have dog just like Dryfuss.