Breeds that could work for me?

• Gold Top Dog

Breeds that could work for me?

I'm not getting another dog right now, but I thought it'd be fun/interesting to see what ya'll would suggest. I guess I'll give some info.

• Condo living/no backyard.
    • Shedding is not an issue.
    • Grooming is not an issue.
    • I'd prefer ones not known for major health issues but throw ones my way even if they do.
    • Has medium energy. (Which is funny because I have a high energy dog now...but ya know how hard it is for me to get him enough exercise as is) 
    • I'd prefer medium/large to extremely large breeds, but throw the smaller ones my way.
    • Is not known to be dominant in nature.
    • Dependent, I don't think I'd like an independent dog.
    • Not known to be VERY stubborn.
    • Not known for aggression with other dogs/animals.
    • Isn't a one person dog.
    • Wary of strangers okay but not downright guarding.
    Hopefully that's enough info. So throw your breeds at me! And no I won't think you're biased if you suggest ones you own. :P
    • Gold Top Dog

Some of the criteria might be in conflict a little bit.  Like dependent vs. not a one person dog.  I can only really speak for GSDs...

• the right one is fine in a condo
    • there's a lot of shedding
    • minimal grooming (brushing and trimming nails)
    • they do have some pretty serious health issues but if you can find healthy lines they usually live to be 12-15
    • you can get a lower key dog if the breeder knows what they're producing
    • they are a medium large breed (~50-85lbs)
    • typically willing learners and biddable, but must be trained and socialized or they will make their own games which you probably won't like
    • very dependent to the point of somewhat clingy, depends on the individual temperament and how the dog is raised
    • not stubborn but smart and bred to have a close working relationship with the handler
    • some can be very aggressive to other dogs but others not
    • usually bonds closest with one person but can still be a family dog
    • correct temperament is aloof/neutral toward strangers
    • Gold Top Dog

punkchica321

I don't know how much those two go together, and I don't know of any large/giant dogs that don't have major health issues within the breed. Unfortunately, all breeds have issues but the really big guys are almost all prone to hip and elbow issues, because they're BIG.

I think you might like a Standard Poodle, if you can find the right one. They were originally a bird dog, and some of them are still driven to fetch like crazy. You'd want one NOT like that, LOL, and they do exist. There's also the retired Greyhound. They are not great with small animals, but are generally good with people, couch potatos indoors, run and play outdoors kind of dogs. Ideal housedogs, if you don't have cats or are very very vigilant with them and the smaller animals.

• Gold Top Dog
    Check out Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs.They do not meet all of your criteria but are a really cool breed.Might have to wait till you have more yard unless you find an older one.
    • Bronze

How about a wonderful mutt from your local shelter?

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys! My dad would not object to a GSD or a Standard Poodle. :P

Stubbydog: I love mutts, don't get me wrong but I'd like a purebred dog someday as well. :) I've grown up with mutts from shelters though, my current dog I adopted.

• Gold Top Dog

Corgi! They do shed (a lot), great off leash, we live in an apartment so no yard whatsoever, loves anyone who gives her attention, extremely willing to please, happy with a 30 minute walk a day and shamelessly adorable. Oh, shes a master manipulator, so NILIF is always in affect.

• Gold Top Dog
    How about a sheltie? Shetland Sheepdogs are small but still can live up to big dog standards. They may look like a rough collie and are often mistakenly called "mini collies" but they have really developed into their own unique breed.

So, to go down your list... They are a herder that could adapt to condo living in the right situation. Grooming is important but brushing often will help with that. I would worry about health issues based on each individual breeder rather then the breed as a whole, ask, ask and ask some more when your picking your breeder so your prepared. You can never ask a good breeder too many questions. They are not especially stubborn or dominate, but need a little understanding because they can be a little sensitive at times. Not dog/animal aggressive, but again it's an individual case. They are affectionate when in a family setting. They can be a little shy around strangers but warm up easily when allowed. To add, they are smart and easy to train so in the future if you want to try you hand at agility it might be a fun dog to work with.
    • Gold Top Dog

Aren't Shelties vocal?

• Gold Top Dog

They can be. The first time I walked past a camper full of debarked Shelties at a dog show, I just about DIED from the hilarity of a dozen silent dogs hitting the windsheild, barking away at me. It depends on how they're raised, and how the rules are enforced. I know several Shelties that live happily in condo/apartment settings, and are not nuisance barkers, and have intact vocal cords.

• Gold Top Dog

I'll suggest Portuguese Water Dog!  Echo has really turned out to be a wonderful girl!

* being an improper/smooth coat, a brushing once a week does great

* loves her mama, adores her children

*initially aloof/suspicious of strangers, once she 'approves' them, she is friends with someone forever

* Is high energy if I don't walk her daily- a good 1-2 mile brisk walk has been enough

* is fairly calm (for a pup!) indoors. Is gentle with the kids and other dogs

*super, wicked scary smart!  Learns easily. She's the star of her agility class and already at level 3 after only 10 weeks in obedience.  I hardly practice with her and to her credit, she remembers very well.

*weighs 44lbs

• Gold Top Dog

Flat Coated Retriever would meet some of your needs :)

• Condo living/no backyard
    I currently live in a condo, no backyard per say. With the proper exercise a Flat Coat is fine in a condo or even an apartment.
    • Shedding is not an issue.
    Flatcoats do shed continuously, but not an obnoxious amount IMHO.
    • Grooming is not an issue.
    Ari is a wash and wear dog lol. I keep her ears in their natural state and a quick brush behind them, every now and then (I do this a couple times per month) keeps mats from forming. I rarely brush her actually, just really once a month during her bath.
    • I'd prefer ones not known for major health issues but throw ones my way even if they do.
    This is a potential issue for Flat Coats. Cancer, in particular, runs in the breed and tends to hit them when they are young. Breeders are doing what they can, but the gene pool is small.
    • Has medium energy. (Which is funny because I have a high energy dog now...but ya know how hard it is for me to get him enough exercise as is)
    I guess I would have to ask, what do you define as medium energy? When Ari was a pup, her energy level was through the roof. At 2 years old, I'd say it's medium. An hour brisk walk (about 3 miles) a day is good, plus some indoor playtime. She's happiest though when she gets out for a hike (and if you throw a swim in there, you'd think she had gone to heaven lol). She's good at controlling herself though (well now she is lol). For instance, we had downpours two days straight so no exercise. By the second day, she was loopy but some games in the house helped. On the third day she got a 3 mile walk plus some swim time and the next day my SO took her for a hike (that was yesterday) Today she is mellow and content to snooze.
    • I'd prefer medium/large to extremely large breeds, but throw the smaller ones my way.
    Flatcoats are a medium to medium-large sized dog. Ari is female and generally right at 60 lbs.
    • Is not known to be dominant in nature.
    Flat Coats are not known for that.
    • Dependent, I don't think I'd like an independent dog.
    Flat Coats definitely need their humans. They're meant to work with them after all in the field hunting! They would be terribly unhappy if they didn't get to spend an adequate enough time during the day interacting with their humans.
    • Not known to be VERY stubborn. 
    I would say in general Flat Coats are quite biddable. They tend to have a sense of humor though. They'll often do what you asked, but not necessarily the way you showed them; they'll add their own flair to it now and then to keep things interesting.
    • Not known for aggression with other dogs/animals.
    Everyone, just about, is Ari's newest and bestest friend. There's only been ONE incident with a dog that SHE didn't like. It was rather shocking actually.
    Definitely not the case with Flat Coats. They may have a favorite, but the generally love everyone and will mooch attention from wherever they can get it!

In general, Flat Coats tend to NOT be wary of strangers. They are good alert dogs in the home that someone is approaching, but once that person is inside, they are likely to greet that person as their long lost friend (even if they've never met before!).

The two biggest things with Flat Coats, in terms of them being happy with you, is making sure they are properly exercised and they get to spend enough time with you. Also, the cancer concern shouldn't be taken lightly.