Breed suggestions

• Gold Top Dog

Breed suggestions

OK, so I am NOT anywhere ready to get a third dog. I repeat, I am NOT going to get a third dog for a very long time.

However... both of my boys fell into my lap as adults so I'd like to actually think about breed types this time around. Thatcher still has to work on his leash manners and Hap has to stop jumping on people before I get a third dog because I don't want the new dog to think either of those behaviors are acceptable.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking (again in the far off future)...either a Lab, a Leo (thanks Gina), or some other sort of breed I haven't thought of yet. I definitely want a medium-large breed (although the beaglets pictures almost made me change my mind). I want a breed that is easy to get along with other dogs who will play with the ones I currently have...I'd like a dog that wants to be with me and our other "pack members" as opposed to one who would rather be by himself or stand-offish. Since hopefully I'll get this dog at a younger age than my other two, I'm hoping it'll be a tad bit easier to train him since he'll be younger, so I'd be willing to work with him, but I'm really more of a "let's play" than a "let's train" person. I definitely want an active dog as both my other dogs are, but not a real "working" dog.

Of course I know dogs are individuals so just because I like a breed doesn't mean the individual dog would fit our family...I just want to actually think ahead this time and actually plan my new additions. And again... this is just for fun and research.. I still have those behaviors to work on and a big move ahead next year before I can get another dog. Oh, and I just used "him" because that's what I'm used to... although my boys show no sign of same-sex aggression, I'd have to consider whether a girl would be better (because she's the only girl) or another boy (because a girl might cause same-sex agression where there wasn't before)? Neither of my dogs are dog aggressive at all...Thatcher only acts like a maniac when he's on a leash and can't sniff the other dog. Once he's offleash, he sniffs and then he's done with the new dog.

• Gold Top Dog

Is grooming and shedding a consideration? How do you feel about interactions with strange dogs/humans?

Sounds like you're looking for a biddable, laid back, fun to be around house dog.

If letting a dog off leash isn't important to you, consider a retired Greyhound. They ROCK at being active when you want them to be, and couch potato love bugs the rest of the time. They're light shedders. The main issue I see in them is dental disease, and the breed is prone to bone cancer. They can be iffy with small dogs/cats, but they've been in foster care, and some are very cat safe.

Of course, the retriever breeds are awesome. Goldens and Labs are usually puppies for a long time, so you will have to stay on top of manners (which you do!), and you've gotta be picky about your breeder if you're going the breeder route, but they're so smart, and so much fun to hang out with.

• Gold Top Dog

Nope. Hap sheds SOOOO much that I have to clean ALL the time anyways, lol. As far as strange dogs, I'd like to be able to take him to a petstore/vet/on a walk without him freaking out but I don't care if he only likes to play with our family dogs. Thatcher can get kind of pushy and we're fine, but I definitely don't want to have to constantly remind my dog that I'm the boss, lol. Of course he'll test his boundaries, just like mine currently try...but overall, I'd agree I'm definitely looking for a more biddable type.

I actually think Hap has some greyhound in him (it's just the way he runs?). Are greyhounds good with kids? I don't have any of my own, but I do have neices and nephews that will be around sometimes.

I think Thatcher is a golden/lab mix? and he fits in great with us, so I am definitely considering both those types.

• Gold Top Dog

Do you have your heart set on a medium/large breed? If not a Corgi would be ideal. Rough and tumble, live to please you, excellent with kids, love to be with their pack and did I mention: Extremely cute!

• Gold Top Dog
    A standard poodle is always one of my favorite breeds by far as an easy-going all around dog. They are what I think you would consider a "working" dog and can be as active as you are yet they are also super smart and easy to train. If you don't mind the grooming. They don't shed but their coat takes a bit of upkeep and if your willing you can learn how to do it yourself.

I prefer owning a herding breed myself but that is just because I enjoy the challenge.
    • Gold Top Dog

jennie_c_d

If letting a dog off leash isn't important to you, consider a retired Greyhound. They ROCK at being active when you want them to be, and couch potato love bugs the rest of the time. They're light shedders. The main issue I see in them is dental disease, and the breed is prone to bone cancer. They can be iffy with small dogs/cats, but they've been in foster care, and some are very cat safe.

Greys are a good suggestion but I wouldn't ever consider any of them to be "very cat safe". Many are cat safe with dog savvy cats. Many are cat safe with cats in their home. Many are cat safe for years but if a cat gets into their yard, that changes. They are also not a breed I generally suggestion for people with young children, as they tend not to care much for kids getting all touchy-feely with them and many are prone to startle aggression or resource guarding their sleeping area. They are awesome housedogs though - very easy going, don't tend to be destructive and are content to spead much of their day lounging on your couch.

• Gold Top Dog

It sounds like my Coke would be perfect for you but unfortunately I have no idea what mix he is!  He is great with other dogs and I think we owe that largely to his foster family that had two yellow labs.  We got Coke when he was over a year old, I'm not sure how much, if any, socialization or dog interaction he had in his first home.  If you go the rescue route, look for dogs that have been in foster care with other dogs for several weeks, so they can give you a good picture on how the dog interacts.  Doing the one-time temperament test with a strange dog doesn't really give a complete picture.

• Gold Top Dog

Leo's are wonderful but very VERY big. Even Large Dog owners....need to prepare for the differences involved in owning a GIANT breed dog. More expensive flea and tick/HW meds...healthcare....neuters and spays...any surgery...along with shorter lifespans in some cases only stretching to 6-8 years. Ask yourself if you are physically able to LIFT and mandhandle a 100+lbs dog that needs you to...many have mobility issues late in life or even early onset due to higher incidences of HD/ED, and joint issues.

They take up more space...Leo's are NOT a breed that will make themselves small like a sighthound might. They lay stretched out, whereeve they are and they are long in body which makes smaller homes or even larger ones with narrow hallways or lots of corners and walls...a challenge.

Many Leo's are puppies a long time, especially males. They get zoomies and chewing stages but are HUGE so factor that in.

The upside to Leo's vs some of the other Giants is that they do not drool, are typically VERY people and especially child friendly, do not typically have issues with other animals, even across species. But they do have their share of genetic issues so who you get your dog from is crucial...but no guarantee. They shed in copious amts and spayed or neutered coats tangle EXTREMELY easily and need almost daily attention to avoid mats. They are EXTREMELY sensitive to household moods and issues so a stable home with minimal drama is best.

I will probably always have a Leo or some other Giant breed...but no more than one at a time...because that is my limit.

ETA: IMO a first time Leo owner is best off with a female. The males are MARKEDLY larger and have a bit more in the way of an independant spirit and stubborn streak that can make them very impressive dogs at maturity...but be a real challenge for a newbie. Females go anywhere from 90-115lbs, and males are more in the 130+lbs range.

• Gold Top Dog

Corgis are extremely cute, but I really want a medium to large breed. I feel like I'd trip over her all the time, lol. Also, all of my stuff is large-giant sized so she'd either be jumping really high all the time or I'd have to invest in the doggy steps company, lol.

Are herding breeds really pushy? What kind of challenges do they come with, if you don't mind explaining? I really like how someone said "they're too involved in their owner to want to run off and chase a car".

I'm fine with no-cats, but I'm only 23 so it's possible I might have children someday....no guarantees either way on that.

From all that I've read, I would love a Coke! Thanks for the foster care tip... my boys INSTANTLY connected and both went into a playbow and they've been that way ever since. No matter what I breed I get, that's the type of reaction I'm looking for.

I forgot, I definitely don't want a drooler...both my dogs know "no kisses" because I hate the feel of their saliva on my skin, lol.

Sadly, it sounds like all large/giant breeds have huge health issues =(. The thought of only 6-8 years is way too little time for me though. I could probably lift the female...thanks for bringing that up as it's something I never would have considered on my own. Also, when you say need daily attention are we just talking about brushing them out or actual baths?

• Gold Top Dog

The lady who told me Greys can be super cat safe is involved in Grey rescue, and has 4, plus cats. I suppose it is like all things, though, and subjective. She does not give her dogs free reign of the house. They are confined, when she is not around, for the cats' safety. We were discussing the idea of me adopting one, with the little dogsBig Smile The small sighthounds whip and zip, and the Cairn looks an awful lot like a bunny!

I do have a rule about dogs I can't pick up. They aren't allowed through the front door. If I am home alone, and there is an emergency, I *must* be able to navigate safely up and down stairs, and to the car. Anything over 90 lbs, and I can't do it. That number may get smaller, as I get older. That's something to think about, too. Will you be able to do it in 10 years? That may be when you have to.

• Gold Top Dog
    The challenge with many herding breeds is they are always trying to out smart their owners. They have very active minds that are always on the go. They need an owner who can really work with them to meet their intelligence. Most herding breeds I would not recommend to a first time dog owner because I've seen too many end up in the shelters because of misunderstanding between owner and dog. They are loyal yet need guidance.

It also depends on the breeder and what qualities they are breeding for. A working Border Collie from Ireland is going to behave so much differently then a Border Collie bred for confirmation in the AKC. I've met and have worked with both and would almost consider them two different breeds. I use to take Gizmo to a border collie ranch to give her a chance to work with sheep and almost all of the BCs on the ranch had smooth coats and looked just like Gizmo because they were bred to do a job.
    • Gold Top Dog

hapnthatch

I really like how someone said "they're too involved in their owner to want to run off and chase a car".

I would have suggested German Shepherds but they aren't always the best candidates for multi-dog situations, not really "dog park" dogs.  Mine have a very high pack drive, are totally devoted to me but have never had any issues with each other or Coke, but they have no interest in socializing with other dog and are not really accepting of other adult dogs in our house.

From what I gather, I think GSDs don't completely fit the "herding" mold.  Think of them more as a "working" dog.  A good one is actually more laid back than most of the other herders I've known, and they aren't going to run around nipping at heels. I don't know, to me they are often more differences than similarities between a correct working GSD and a BC, Aussie, Corgi, etc.

• Gold Top Dog

Do you think a young GSD would have the same issues if the older dogs are already in the house? By the way, Hap had a lot of issues dealing with new, strange dogs is in his house (he was attacked ALOT- but he's still the friendliest dog ever).. so I don't plan on fostering dogs in or out just because I want his household to feel stable and safe for him.. so this is basically going to be a one-time new addition...I don't really trust dog parks (I know my dogs, but I don't know yours type of thing) and since Hap has been attacked in the past, his safety and feeling of being safe is my paramount concern.

• Gold Top Dog

hapnthatch
    Sadly, it sounds like all large/giant breeds have huge health issues =(. The thought of only 6-8 years is way too little time for me though. I could probably lift the female...thanks for bringing that up as it's something I never would have considered on my own. Also, when you say need daily attention are we just talking about brushing them out or actual baths?

the lifespan thing is a shame yes...pretty much anything that routinely gets over 100lbs is going to have a shortened lifespan or some issues IME. That is A LOT, of dog...but some breeds that are borderline in that size range like Malamutes or even a Giant Schnauzer or Bouvier, for example can be quite hardy and long lived.

Daily attention means the problem areas and will be dependant on what you do with your Leo. Cleo gets her ear furnishing, under hear ears and breeching raked thru or combed just about every other day because those areas mat like crazy...esp with Beaglets sucking on the ear tufts LOL! I have heard s/n Leo's coat's get EXTREMELY thick and cottony and just are nightmarish compared to an intact Leo. Very odd, but common in the breed.

Most every pure breed is going to have some issues to address...so that's just a given. Mixes can be healthier it seems, or they can have diseases from ALL the breeds that make them up. If you have a good honest breeder you at least have a head start on the health stuff.

I am NOT a herding breed person. I have said plainly I like dumb dogs because I find them easier to live with and fit into a lifestyle that is kind of crazy sometimes. I don't have hours to dedicate to tiring my dog out or outwitting it or keeping it sane. Cleo sleeps almost ALL DAY LONG...unless we are outside when she has periods of activity. She is quite cat like in that respect and I like that about her. She is not dumb by any means...but she is so SO intent on making you happy that if you want her "play dumb" she will LOL!!

I have learned enough about the breed in the few years owning one and extra years researching to say they are really at the top of my list of good breeds for families....I don't say that lightly either. They are excellent, excellent dogs...but BIG. lol!

• Gold Top Dog

rwbeagles
    ! I have heard s/n Leo's coat's get EXTREMELY thick and cottony and just are nightmarish compared to an intact Leo. Very odd, but common in the breed.

Not odd at all. Gonads make more than babies, LOL. Hormones affect muscle mass, coat, attitude, and all the other hormones in the body. Know any women with no ovaries who don't take hormone replacement? Their hair changes too!