German Shepherd vs Doberman Pinscher

• Gold Top Dog
    I have heard the Terv are notoriously skittish ... the only ones I've met and seen training was a showline Terv and definitely not my cup of tea ...
    • Gold Top Dog

It is all about the lines and to some extent the socialization.  I have one acceptable temperment dog and one correct temperment dog.  There are any number of lines with stellar temperments (close to bomb proof from the beginning).  I am willing to discuss this more, but only privately.

It is not the coat covering.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Understood, thank you. Zip it!

• Gold Top Dog

Well I have had both. As far as intellegence, a Shepherd is more observering of activities, where as a Doberman is 'more in ' the activities.

The problem I have with the Doberman is the incidences in frequencies of Cardio Myopothy. Its so high in the breed, and even from good breeders, can occur. Even usually fatel. To give you an example- my step son got a great pup from a great breeder, and still died from it quickly with no prior evidence of the presence of CM at all- at 8 months old! Granted this is an extreme case, but its there with high incidence.

My preference of the two is a Shepherd. However- of course they do shed, but that doesn't bother me at all.

• Gold Top Dog

I've really only met one Terv up close and I'm happy to say he was fabulous!  Just the kind of dog that you know could excel at anything.

I've met a few Dobes and they seem very similar to GSDs as far as their attachment to their owners, keen problem solving, and sometimes more aloof nature (or maybe that's just the ones I've seen?).  When doing SchH I do not care for how they work and haven't yet found one that I would take a second look at, but that wouldn't matter if you're not into it.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

borzoimom1
    To give you an example- my step son got a great pup from a great breeder, and still died from it quickly with no prior evidence of the presence of CM at all- at 8 months old!

DCM is high.  Was your step-son's dog's sire and dam tested?  Thankfully, there's a major investment by ethical, reputable, respected breeders to mitigate this as much as possible, but it's still out there.  And it's bad.
    • Gold Top Dog

Yes and tested for generations. It was so sad. And add that she had two surgeries ( ie ears and a spay) and normal vet visits, and no indication it was there.

• Gold Top Dog

Wow... that really stinks. Now I'm definately leaning towards a GSD... LOL

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

I think you have more opportunity for a healthy GSD these days among the pool of available pups from reputable/respected/responsible breeders.

• Gold Top Dog

In your area I would look at Johnson Haus/Zioner Berg (working lines) in NC, von der Sauk (working and German show lines) in SC, von Tajgetosz (working lines) in Nashville.

• Gold Top Dog
    miranadobe
    mrv - I know this was originally about Dobes vs GSDs, but since you brought up Belgian breeds... I went to a Belgian Shep event this weekend and even in this collection I continued to see what I've seen at many other dog events.  Tervs and others (Belgian Sheepdogs) who were great in practice, then put them under "pressure" in the ring and they lost their edge.  They seemed nervous, more concerned with the surroundings, lost focus on the handler, slowed down everything while they appeared to go to their "safe place" mentally.  While not completely shut down, they were shall we say "introspective" once they were in the ring.  Nervous, careful, slow to respond, looking all around the venue, etc.  I've never seen a Malinois do that...
    Is this to be expected?  Is it just coincidence?  They all seem so sweet, but what an average person might describe as nervous and scared.    Sadly, I have yet to meet a confident, outgoing Terv.  Again, the Malinois I've experienced are sooo not like this.  I thought the two are related and differ mostly by coat?  How can temperament be so seemingly diff? 

If you knew where these dogs were from I'd be interested to know (PM of course).
     I have seen Belgians of all four varieties who have issues with weak nerves and/or being overly sensitive, some extremely so. It is not correct and should not be expected or accepted with them but I can't say that it is uncommon to see either.
     I have black Belgians and have for 16+ years now.  My own personal dogs have all been pretty good. One is too sensitive and gives up too quickly with things that she isn't motivated enough to do. IMO with her it's a drive/biddability issue - these dogs should above all else be willing workers, regardless of how they feel. But out of 6 Belgians, she is the only one I have had such issues with. I'd like my oldest girl to be a bit less independent but soundness wise she really is bombproof. My boy dog is everything a Belgian should be - devoted, biddable, drivey, confident and extremely willing. The daughter I have out of him and the oldest girl has an outstanding temperament as well. My new puppy has not competed yetin anything but conformation but she is a really nice worker and out of lines which produce very successful performance dogs (as well as good show dogs). Good Belgians of all flavors are out there :) 

There are breeders who are only breeding for show (conformation) dogs in all varieties of Belgians. There are breeders who are only involved in show and only ever have been, which makes it unlikely they will select for biddability, soundness and specific temperament traits. I know some breeders are pretty open about preferring to soft temperaments and low drive because those dogs are easier to keep. If you get a dog from a breeder who selects either purposefully or by default for low drive and soft temperament you probably won't get a stellar performance dog. If you get a puppy out of a dog with a nervous, weird temperament from a line of dogs with nervous, weird temperaments you probably will get a nervous, weird dog (yet for a some reason I see people who seem to feel otherwise). That isn't to say these breeders are the majority or are representative of the whole community. But they are out there and their dogs are out there. This issue is not a problem just with Belgians though, it is a problem in many, many breeds.

And some people just plain don't do with with the breed. They are different and not for everyone. They are quirky, obsessive, clever, quick thinkers, quick to take action and not always real forgiving of training mistakes. Plenty of people do very well with Belgians of all varieties and plenty of people don't. Sometimes it's the dog, sometimes it's the owner and sometimes it is a bit of both. Without a doubt though, there are nice Belgians out there of all varieties.

The Belgian breeds are one breed with four varieties everywhere but the US and even here, many dogs are imported and have other varieties in their pedigrees. But like any other breed, there are differences in lines and  in individuals.

• Gold Top Dog

I'm really not looking to get a puppy, I'm wanting to adopt/rescue an adult, at least two years old. Not an older dog, nothing over I'd say 5....

Some people are puppy people and some are not... I am not. LOL  Used to I'd only go for pups I could raise up my self, the way I wanted... but these days, not so much.

Bloodlines aren't as important to me as getting a dog that will fit in the family. But with that said, I know what I'm looking for, what I want in looks and build and temperment and know what issues I'm willing to work with and what I'm not. Good thing I'm not in a hurry, lol.... that's why I'm looking now... so in a couple years, maybe I'll have finally found it. LOL

• Gold Top Dog

You're in luck then, NC has an endless supply of GSDs in rescue and shelter!

• Gold Top Dog

Many more than Dobe's that's for sure..... lol.

• Gold Top Dog

Personally, i prefer the dobe. That being said...my GSD (Kaiser) is from a BYB, and my dobe (Josie) is from a reputable breeder. Kaiser is a GOOD GOOD dog...he is well behaved, he listens, and he is great with my other dogs. However, he is a bit nervous and skittish around loud sounds, kids...etc. (i realize a lot of this probably falls on faulty breeding). We are also dealing with serious health issues. Hair? I HATE it. As much as i love a GSD...never again because i cannot handle hair.

I prefer the personality of a dobe. Josie has more personality of any dog i have ever had- and yes, she's a goofball. I don't necessarily think she's as intelligent as Kaiser, but definitely extremely smart. She is friendly with everyone and spectacular with kids. I love the short, sleek coat and i love the docked tail that wont knock drinks off the table. I dread potential health issues- all lineage has been health tested and i know the cause of death for each dog, but i know DCM can pop up in any dobe. She is also naturally very protective...it's amazing how she can be such a mush out in public, but will lay down the law on someone approaching the car. She makes me laugh every single day...here's a video showing an example of her antics

video

Either way i don't think you can go wrong. Both are awesome dogs, and i've really enjoyed them both.