What is Jack?

• Gold Top Dog

What is Jack?

So, my dad and I have been arguing a lot lately... because, for some reason, he has suddenly decided that Jack is an Australian Cattle dog. Till now he has just been labeled as "Spaniel mix". It started the day he said he was at his friends house, and his friend's friend brought over his so called Australian Cattle dog (I have no idea if this dog is a purebred Acattle dog or not, I have not seen the dog myself) He said that they dog looked "JUST like Jack" so now he has this idea in his mind that Jack is an australian cattle dog. And because, when we were at the vet  a few days ago, he said to the vet "What do you think he is, Australian cattle dog" and the vet said "Maybe, he does kind of look like a herder"..

I mean, I guess its not a big deal, but its irritating to me when I hear him talking to anyone and mention that Jack is an Australian cattle dog, cause he clearly is not.

I think he isnt a purebred, we dont live in an area where purebred bird dogs would be running around. But, to me he looks a whole lot like a French Brittany spaniel, or a Small munsterlander.

So, Im hoping to get some opinions from other "dog people" on what breed(s) Jack is. He is 34 pounds, medium-long hair (very long on his tail, long on his legs, medium on the rest of his body, and curly hair on his ears) He is very lean & muscular, he can jump pretty high, even from a stand still, and has a very "springy" gait. If he is running, he will be in full gallop and do random hops/leaps in the hair, and has a very bird-dog like behavior. I dont see any type of border collie/australian cattle dog/ herding type behavior in him at all.

If you google "French Brittany spaniel" images, on the first page this picture comes up-

http://www.centradakotanavhda.com/zeus.jpg

That dog looks nearly identical to Jack (besides the lack of tail )

• Gold Top Dog
    I always thought (from the pics you posted) he was a Springer Spaniel mix.
    • Gold Top Dog

Except for color He reminds me of a Kleiner Munsterlander, too (according to the SMCNA site, they're brown & white).  They aren't all that common here, tho (neither are French Brittanies).  Considering that, I'd say he's probably got some Brittany and maybe English Setter in him.  Possibly some English Springer, too.  I'm betting whoever said he looks just like an ACD said that either because the only dog they've seen colored like that was an ACD or they meant Australian Shepherd.  Not that he looks exactly like an Aussie, but I could understand if someone said he was an Aussie mix (based on his looks).  My money is on sporting breeds, tho.

• Puppy

Not even close to an ACD or an ACD mix that I've ever seen.  I've been around ACD's my entire life and my dad is a breeder and if they are a predominate part of a mix you can tell - the ACD characteristics are dominant.  I've seen a lot of mixes and I can spot one a mile away.  I'd say some sort of sporting breed mix if I had to wager a guess.

• Gold Top Dog

Your dad just lost his bet lol.  That is NOT a Cattle Dog, no way, no how.  My guess is that he doesn't even have herdin' genes.  He looks like the quintessential bird dog:-))  If I had to guess, I'd say he is mostly field bred Springer Spaniel.  Check out the head, and the ticking on "Boo" here: http://www.fieldbredspringer.com/.  Check your dog's feet - does the hair between his toes continue to grow?  Cattle Dogs hair does not, but Spaniels often have that characteristic. 

Here's a blue ACD: http://www.duwest-acds.com/Kylie.html.  Notice, NO feathering, NO hair between the toes,NO flowing tail, NO floppy ears... and no long coat.  (Long coats are dominant.)

• Bronze

Hard to tell with all the fur, but to me he looks too heavy-boned and wide-headed for a French (or American) Brittany.  But some (or a lot) of ESS in the mix could account for it.

Definitely agree on no ACD.

• Gold Top Dog

I was going to bring up this thread to see if anyone had any more guesses... but apparently I didn't see that you both had replied a while ago... oops

spiritdogs

Your dad just lost his bet lol.  That is NOT a Cattle Dog, no way, no how.  My guess is that he doesn't even have herdin' genes.  He looks like the quintessential bird dog:-))  If I had to guess, I'd say he is mostly field bred Springer Spaniel.  Check out the head, and the ticking on "Boo" here: http://www.fieldbredspringer.com/.  Check your dog's feet - does the hair between his toes continue to grow?  Cattle Dogs hair does not, but Spaniels often have that characteristic. 

Here's a blue ACD: http://www.duwest-acds.com/Kylie.html.  Notice, NO feathering, NO hair between the toes,NO flowing tail, NO floppy ears... and no long coat.  (Long coats are dominant.)

Jack has a TON of hair growing from between his toes. It never stops growing, I have to trim it constantly.

He does look similar to the field springer spaniel in some ways, and not in others. Aren't springers usually mostly white, with black/brown patches and ticking? Jack is mostly black, with white on his legs and black ticking.

I just realized... that picture makes Jack look kind of stocky, and much bigger boned than he actually is. He is actually not stocky at all, and pretty light boned.

Here are some more accurate pictures of him

(he got his belly shaved for this summer and his back leg fluff trimmed off, which is why he looks little less scruffy)

These are the very first pictures I took of him (before he got a hair cut. He had lots of mats, so he was partialy shaved. His hair never grew back the same way that it used to be) You can see how much longer his hair was

• Gold Top Dog

He's cool!  I don't know much about bird dogs, but he looks a lot like my friend's Portie, just the wrong coat texture.  Her Portie is about that size and the exact same color (black and white with the big black splotches and smaller spots).

• Gold Top Dog

Is your dad thinking Australian Shepherd, maybe? I have a friend who raises Australian Shepherd, farm stock, that look kind of like that?

• Gold Top Dog

Spazzy

If you look at my Lilly she has the same face! My three all have several different gates when moving about the yard or trail. Looks like an ESS mix to me.

ETA: yes Beaux has a tail!!

• Gold Top Dog

Does he like water?  Is he retrievish?  He could be an improperly coated PWD. He's the right size and shape for that.

Or he could be a field ESS or mix.  He is super handsome but not a cattle dog.

• Gold Top Dog

I have no input as to what breed he might be have in him.  Just wanted to say that Jack is a very handsome guy!  He looks like his fur is really soft.

• Puppy
    I saw about half a year ago and got an account i have been searching on dogs as much as i can after i read this and after SO MUCH RESEARCH im almost 98% positive that i know what Jack is. One day i went on Nextdaypets.com and i went on All the Dog Breeds so objective i wrote "All the dog breeds" on bing and Nextdaypets website showed up i skimmed through all of them and saw.. I saw a dog that looks about 85% as similar as Jack. Ok i know you want the dog breed.. OK its a Stabyhoun dog. It all most matches everything you say about Jack and on the website Originating in the Northeastern part of the Netherlands in a province called Friesland, the Stabyhoun is a versatile breed that was used as both watchdog and hunter. They are quite rare, with only approximately 3500 known to be in existence today. Although this breed is prized by Dutch sportsmen, it has yet to gain popularity outside of the Netherlands. The Stabyhoun is sturdily built and possesses great stamina and power. This breed is a member of the Sporting Group due to their abilities in pointing, hunting, retrieving, and agility. This is such a RARE breed in the United States that the first litter was not recorded until 1994. Stabyhoun's are a devoted and loyal companion that is excellent with children and other pets. They exhibit patience, are friendly with people they know, but are reserved with strangers. They are protective of their family, territory, and livestock, but are never vicious. This well-rounded breed makes a perfect companion, excellent watch, and avid hunting partner. The Stabyhoun is extremely affectionate and is slowly steadily gaining popularity in the United States for their pleasing personality. Ebsite hears what they say about stabyhouns I hope im right that jack is a Stabyhoun because you have no idea how hard I've been searching to find out what kind of dog you beloved Jack is. - A 12 year old dreamer
    • Gold Top Dog
    Hi BigDogLover101. I keep coming across this thread in my searches, and just noticed your reply. I see that you're new, so when you're posting you might want to check the date on threads before replying as this thread is two years old, and the dog in question has tragically passed away.

Also, I highly doubt, given the area and the rarity of the breed that Jack was a Stabyhoun (though thank you for bringing this info to the forum, because I learned something new!). I have just adopted a puppy who is almost a dead-ringer for Jack and she falls perfectly within the standards for the French Brittany, and French Brittany people have agreed that that is what she could be. I know that they are also an uncommon breed, but since I live in an area with lots of hunters and BYBs/irresponsible owners, I would not be surprised if she was a hunting dog that had gotten lost or was from an accidental litter (even a Spaniel/Pointer mix!).

Surely you know the saying: When you hear hoofbeats in Central Park think horses, not zebras. ;)
    • Puppy
    aDorkable thank you for your reply I didn't notice that he passed away ;( Unfortunately I still am not 100% sure what he is. I do feel he is Stabyhoun though but I will look up the possibilities of the breeds you have mentioned. But its still is possible! Just because breeds are rare doesn't mean they cant show up anywhere! Anyway thank you for the information and if you by any chance have another clue to what Jack might be.. reply quick! :-) ;-)