Small breeds suitable to live with large breeds

• Gold Top Dog

Small breeds suitable to live with large breeds

So T-Bone is going to get a sibling at some point. I've been considering bull terriers, collies, another GSD, a Dobe, etc. T-Bone is gonna be a big boy and I want to make sure his sibling has the stamina to play with him, the strength to wrestle and play tug-o-war, and most importantly not be injured by him should he pounce or play rough. This obviously rules out all toy breeds, Italian Greyhounds, what have you. I would worry for their safety even though T-Bone would just be playing. Some smaller breeds I've been considering are Cocker Spaniels, Jack Russell Terriers, Shelties.

I also wonder if a smaller dog would feel shy/protective around a dog that much bigger. I probably wouldn't be comfortable if I had a playmate who I could easily walk under. Maybe this sounds anthropomorphic, but I'm just trying to consider the feelings and well being of any animal that comes to live with me. As many of you know, when I lived with my ex, we had lots of pack issues and eventually it just fell apart. I want the three of us to work together and not be a "forced" team. I want the sibling to feel like he/she is on the same playing field, and T-Bone to not always have to be careful to not play in a manner that could injure his new bro or sis.

Thoughts?

• Gold Top Dog

Honestly I think it depends on the dog. Bailey actually LIKES smaller dogs vs bigger dogs. And most of the small dogs that I know have no problems at all playing with Bailey or any other big dog.

Are you looking to adopt or buy from a breeder? If you want to adopt a small dog from a shelter, why not bring T bone with you to see how they get along?

• Gold Top Dog

You can see in my photos that hounds do fine with larger dogs LOL. They just want a pack...doesn't matter what size the members are!

I'd personally take him to the shelter and let him pick!

• Gold Top Dog

It is more about the temperments of the canines and the skill of the human.  My HIGH prey drive malinois does just fine with my Chi x grand-dog.

• Gold Top Dog

I once knew a huge, 200lb, rottie who had what the owner called "his pet" 12lb dachshund.  The two were inseparable and I don't recal the size being a problem.

It does depend more on the individual dog.  Even between same size breeds there could be some worrie. 

Just be patient and the perfect dog will walk into your life, you will know when it just feels right.  I wish you the best as you contune your search!
    • Gold Top Dog

CORGI!! Rough and tumble, loves rough play, so not delicate...

• Gold Top Dog

I'd go along with a Corgi.  They tend to get along great with larger dogs, and because they were bred to herd cattle, they aren't weenies;-)

As for Cockers, they are perhaps the weeniest dogs on the planet as a breed, and they tend to scream when they get rolled.  So, if your dog has herding or working lines, probably not a good match.  (Cocker lovers, no need to bash me, I'm speaking in generalities, having run doggy play groups for eons.)  Shelties tend not to be players.  They like tennis balls, but not other dogs in their faces.  The other herders, like  Aussies, may play well as puppies and get over it as adults.  Boxers piss everyone off except Labs:-)) (Just kidding, but the "in your face" play style is obnoxious to a lot of dogs.)  The Labs are the eternal players, into late old age sometimes (we have one who is very active, and still plays with all the young bucks, at age 9+).  And, they tend not to be dog aggressive, so a smaller Lab female is often the perfect pal for a larger male dog (or a Boxer).  All the rules go out the window if your dog finds a soul mate, though.  My dog, Sequoyah, doesn't play much any more (Aussie), but she is in looooove with a very handsome Rottweiler that no one would probably have suspected.  So, maybe the idea of picking a shelter dog that your dog takes a shine to isn't such a bad idea;-))

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks for the input everyone =) I am definitely not going with a Corgi, as I did have one and we were really not a good match for each other whatsoever. I would be afraid to have another Corgi and it would bea painful reminder of my failure with Bixby.

If I didn't think T-Bone would absolutely lose it in a shelter I'd let him pick a sibling. I think he'd be very frightened. Maybe I could bring several out to the play yards, one at a time, and see who he gets along with the best.

On a side note, how do you think a male Dobe could integrate? I don't want them to spat, but if I bought one from a very reputable breeder and trained appropriately could it work?

• Gold Top Dog

go with a dobe bitch so says a belgian owner with 25+ years in dobermans.
    • Gold Top Dog

No, I would not put a male Dobe with another male dog, unless it absolutely couldn't be avoided. Especially a dog of similar size, weight, and age.

My toy-sized dogs play great with big dogs, and the big dogs they play with know that they're smaller, and play soft enough. They seem to have worked it out, but my girls are fairly rough and tumble girls, in general.

• Gold Top Dog

If its not to painful, tell me why you and Bixby didn't match well and how you failed him.

• Gold Top Dog

I got Bixby before really spending time with Corgis and getting to know them. I read what's good and bad about them with a grain of salt and was very attracted to the sheer cuteness. Well, obviously I will never, EVER disregard the negatives I read about a breed before aquiring one again. Bixby came into a home with a lot of fighting, and it was really hard on her to hear my ex and I yell, then see me cry, etc. She was super obedient but she wasn't happy at all. She was sort of a delicate, free spirit and I wanted her to be very mindful, less vocal, etc. she KNEW I was disappointed in who she was as a dog. I think subconsciously I was trying to replace my Blue Heeler/Treeing Walker Coonhound I had before her I lost due to extreme circumstance. She became very withdrawn, hated the other 4 dogs we had, and spent most of her time in her crate by herself (she chose to) I feel like I didn't jive well with the spirit of a Corgi. I feel horrible that she was unahppy with me. She always lit up around children and would pretty much try to take off with anyone who had kids. I rehomed her with some friends where she is the only pet, has two kids to call her own, and is doing fantastic! It's win-win, she loves them, and they love her for her. All in all it was a learning experience I'm sorry Bixby had to teach me. The only right thing I could do for her was put her in a place where she's free to be herself. I hope she's totally forgotten she ever lived with someone who didn't accept her as an individual.

• Gold Top Dog

I'm sorry. Corgis are very sensitive to their surroundings, so in Bixby's case rehoming was the best option.

• Gold Top Dog

Beejou
    On a side note, how do you think a male Dobe could integrate? I don't want them to spat, but if I bought one from a very reputable breeder and trained appropriately could it work?

If you are looking at possibly adding a dobe, look for a bitch not a dog.  Male aggression is very common in dobes, & a reputable breeder is not going to sell you a male with another male already in the house. 

I know that I am very lucky that Bev is tolerant of other males.  He will not start fight with another male, but he will not back down if the opportunity presents itself.  Even though he is tolerant, & he's never had issues with Brutus, they are never left together unattended.  He & Shooter stay together.  Bev has adored Shooter since the moment that I walked through the door with Shoe, & I trust Bev completely with him.

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks, that's exactly what I was wondering (I know Bevo lives peacefully with other males) if I do adopt/buy a Dobe, it will definitly be female, the same a Bull Terrier would then.