Border Collie Huskey Cross

• Bronze

Border Collie Huskey Cross

Hello all!
    I own a two year olf Border Collie huskey cross. She is quite beautiful, but I have heard that this breed ( Border Collie X huskey) can be various different looks and colours. Just wondering if anyone out there has one aswell and how there temperment is?
    Chevy, my pup, is full of energy and keeps me busy, but I love it. I would really like to see if anyone out there has the same breed.
    Thanks!

Heather & Chevy

• Gold Top Dog
    She is beautiful, you are going to have a lot of fun with all that energy you have there.  Both breeds are wonderful and very high energy but can challenge you every chance they get, as you may already know.  Exercise if very important, but even more then that is mind games.  My border collie X can play all day and still not get tiered but when she has something to do where she has to think, that's the only thing that will wear her out.  Obedience, agility, sheep herding are a few activities that are great for working the mind and body.  Huskies tend to be a wondering breed and, in my experience, have been known to be great escape artist when they get board.I hope you enjoy it here on the dog forum, there is so much good information!

• Bronze

She is full of energy and keeps me very busy! I run her alot and take her for long walks. She seems to love the water too, but every once in a while she will get some attitude and challenge me, but the challenge is fun. She loves learning too. I cannot believe how smart she is. She learns very quickly and seems to pick up on words and phrases that I say too.
    Im so excited to share more pictures and read more about mans best friend! I'm very glad I stumbled upon this forum! Dog

• Gold Top Dog
    Love the picture!! Fun!!
    HeatherRed
    I have heard that this breed ( Border Collie X huskey) can be various different looks and colours
    Border Collie X Husky isn't an actual breed... it's a mix. :-) That means they can come out with many different shapes, sizes, colors, and temperaments. There really is no way of predicting what a mixed dog will look or act like. :-) I think your dog is just plain adorable!
    • Bronze

Aw Thanks! She is a fun filled puppy thats for sure!
    That's wierd. I was talking to my vet, and he said that Because the "mix" is so common, he calls it a "breed". People now are requesting for Border Collie Huskey Cross. Im thinking I should talk more with him about this! Thanks though!

• Gold Top Dog

Unfortunately, people can call anything whatever they want.  Doesn't mean that's what it is by definition.

From Wikipedia:

A breed is a group of domestic animals with a homogeneous appearance, behavior, and other characteristics that distinguish it from other animals of the same species. When bred together, animals of the same breed pass on these uniform traits to their offspring, and this ability—known as "breeding true"—is a definitive requirement for a breed. The offspring produced as a result of breeding animals of one breed with other animals of another breed are known as crossbreeds or mixed breeds. Plant breeds are more commonly known as varieties, or cultivars, and crosses between plant cultivars (or species) are referred to as hybrids.[1]. Breeds are usually not classified scientifically; instead being grouped by breeders according to similar characteristics.

Your dog mated with the same parentage would not produce the above.  Not for several generations.

This does not change the fact that your dog is beautiful!  :)

• Gold Top Dog

HeatherRed
    I was talking to my vet, and he said that Because the "mix" is so common, he calls it a "breed". People now are requesting for Border Collie Huskey Cross. Im thinking I should talk more with him about this!

Yes, please do!  It's very sad/concerning that your vet is calling it a breed.  There are loads of people out there breeding "designer" mixes, loads of which end up in local shelters.  These "breeders" are paying little to no attention to health and temperament, they are simply slapping two dogs together to make a quick buck. :-(  Many of these dogs can end up with temperament and health issues.  Plus, since they are not responsible breeders, they pay little to no attention to their puppies after they pocket the purchase price, which means they can easily end up in shelters.  Many people go out and pay thousands fo dollars for these mixes, when they can simply go down to the local pound and get one for very cheap... and the best part is, those that choose to adopt rather than buy from a BYB (back yard breeder) save a dog that may have been put down due to lack of shelter space!! Smile