Mastiff or Great Dane?

• Silver

Mastiff or Great Dane?

Hey guy's! So we recently got a new puppy! ( I'm new to the sight because of him :) This would be our 2nd dog. But we got him from the people who got us our first dog :) And they have a Chocolate Lab ( which is who Chubby's mom is ) , but they're thinking with the other male dog's in the neighborhood he could either be a Mastiff or a Great Dane. The pet shop that sold the rest of his litter said that they're willing to bet he's a Mastiff. But other then his size I can't see either! Your guess is as good as mine but what do you think? His pictures are in my gallery and the first one is when he was only 5 weeks, and the second one was just last week. At 5 weeks he weighed 7.8 when we got him, and now he weighs 20.5 lbs! Almost the size of our Boston Terrier! Anyway..... with that hopefully we can find some answers :) Thanks all! P.S. I know for sure in his face he's more of a lab! & I can't figure out how to post pictures other then the ones in the gallery any info would be greatly appreciated! :)
    • Gold Top Dog

You got him at 5 weeks?

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

sorry there is no way I can input from the pictures but it is concerning that his litter was broken up so soon - they really should be together at least until 8 weeks and usually older for larger dogs.  This means you will have an awful lot of socialization to do with him and lots of introductions to new things.  Others have much more info on this but you have a lot of work to do with him to ensure he is a well adjusted dog later on.

He is very cute!! Good luck!

• Silver

Yup we got him at 5 weeks! I know that's really early & I will never again get another puppy! However his mother wasn't supposed to get out because she tries to get pregnant everytime ( and the owners refuse to get her fixed... ya I know crappy! ) But they were going to take the rest of the litter the next week to the pound or the petstore to see if they could sell them for a donation, and we didn't want that to happen to him & they didn't want to hold him for us. It has been a lot of hard work, but he does really well around other dogs ( we have 6 other older dogs in the family ) . And the only real problem we had when we got him was his whining. But that only lasted about a month! :) he is a little bit harder to train compaired to when we got our Boston ( @ 10 weeks ) But it has worked out for the most part! He is pretty gorgious isn't he! I know in the long run he's going to be one of the best dogs we've had once he's gotten out of his puppy stage haha

Anyway, thanks!

• Gold Top Dog

GubGirl
    However his mother wasn't supposed to get out because she tries to get pregnant everytime ( and the owners refuse to get her fixed... ya I know crappy! )

I've never known a dog to get pregnant on purpose.