Australian Shepard Information

• Gold Top Dog

Australian Shepard Information

I have a friend who is considering getting an Aussie puppy. This would be the intention of being an agility dog. What information as a puppy buyer does she need to know? I am assuming she would need to look into OFA hips and elbows, and CERF, however are there any tests specific to the Aussies that she would need information on? For instance EIC (exercise induced collapse) is right now labrador specific, and there is a test for it etc. Something like that?

She is not looking 'right now' she is just starting to think about it, but the more prepared you are at the beginning the better off you will be.

Thanks
    Ann

• Gold Top Dog

I would suggest she use the ASCA website and the AKC breed club website as a place to start.  Buying a subscription to the newsletters/magazines of the clubs is a good way to get to know kennels, people and dogs.   Regional specialty shows and the National are great options as well. 

If she is up for a high drive dog, Becky Bailie (MI)   Starstuff.  I know about 6 of her dogs, havent met one yet I did not like.

http://www.workingaussiesource.com/breeders/bailie.html

• Gold Top Dog

Maxs Mom

I have a friend who is considering getting an Aussie puppy. This would be the intention of being an agility dog. What information as a puppy buyer does she need to know? I am assuming she would need to look into OFA hips and elbows, and CERF, however are there any tests specific to the Aussies that she would need information on? For instance EIC (exercise induced collapse) is right now labrador specific, and there is a test for it

I'm not an Aussie person but I have been around quite a few and known breeders of them. So FWIW: 

Some breeders are testing for the MDR-1 mutation (dogs with it can't tolerate certain drugs) too but an owner can also test any puppy they get for it. Epilepsy is a problem with them as well but unfortunately it has no test. ASCA has a good article on finding a breeder: http://www.asca.org/FindinganAussie/FindingaBreeder

There is a big split between working and show lines with them. I generally tend to lean towards working lines for a performance dog but there are some show line dogs that can do well at it too (and there are breeders breeding for performance too if she wants a REALLY intense dog). The show line all dogs tend to be heavier boned and heavier coated as a rule. 

• Gold Top Dog

mrv

I would suggest she use the ASCA website and the AKC breed club website as a place to start.  Buying a subscription to the newsletters/magazines of the clubs is a good way to get to know kennels, people and dogs.   Regional specialty shows and the National are great options as well. 

If she is up for a high drive dog, Becky Bailie (MI)   Starstuff.  I know about 6 of her dogs, havent met one yet I did not like.

http://www.workingaussiesource.com/breeders/bailie.html

I found this breeder earlier today too. There is a dog I like at trials (not necessarily the handler) and I looked up the registered name and then looked for the breeder. Glad to hear your thoughts too. 

Yes stuff like the mdr1 is exactly the kind of thing we need to know about. She is not actively looking yet, but I think you need to be aware of the issues well in advance and be prepared.

Thanks all for the information. If there is more keep me posted.

Ann