Presa Canario

• Gold Top Dog

Presa Canario

So....im seriously considering a presa for the new pup.  (oh and BTW, long story, but Jager is with his breeder, not with us - so now we just have Diesel -akita-, Tessa - beauce- , and Halo - gsd- )  Been going back and forth between presas and getting another TM...but having quite a time trying to find REPUTABLE breeders of presas..., and on top of that, im hoping to find a breeder that has puppies elligible for the AKC FSS, as i'd like to compete in obedience etc,  but also in UKC conformation (otherwise id just neuter the pup and show in AKC performance events)..

So i know there are a couple of people on here that have presas, any reputable breeders anyone recommends?  Any breeders that have AKC FSS eligable dogs?  Im looking for a companion primarily, along with preferably a show prospect, and some drive, atleast enough to do obedience, possibly agility, etc..  Ive found a couple, contacted only one so far, but came accross numerous that just go on and on bragging about the size of the dogs (or how big there heads are!), or breeders that just totally reminded me of the regular "american bully" breeder with tons of done up photos with fancy cars in the background etc, i dont care what you have material wise, i just want a nice stable dog!

Im in TX, but willing to ship a pup if a breeder is.

feel free to post here or PM me...also any other tips or pointers any presa owners have, i'd love to hear

thanks

• Gold Top Dog

Something to consider - Have you given full thought to bringing in such a large dog with a strong tendency towards same sex aggression into a multi-dog household (with other also prone to same sex aggression breeds - it looks like you already have both males and females)? Would you willing and able to keep dogs separated within the house if need be, for 10+ years? Maybe you already have to do RotatoDog but if you don't, with the breeds you have - count yourself lucky! Don't count on remaining lucky forever though, especially if you continue to add more dogs to the mix. Plan on the possibility that you will have to end up separating two or more dogs and be happy if you don't :)

• Gold Top Dog

yes i have given concern towards the temperment of the dog, and i do consider myself lucky that all of my dogs DO get along and i have never had an incident between any of them. 

Thanks for your concern, but i really didnt come here to get lectured and warned about the risk of owning dominant independent breeds.  I am aware of the temperment, have done my research on many breeds, and i just came here to find other presa owners.  

Thanks again, but please i dont want to come back to this post to find ive been massacred by people that are concerned about my multidog household.

• Gold Top Dog

Beauceron.Akita.Golden
    Thanks again, but please i dont want to come back to this post to find ive been massacred by people that are concerned about my multidog household.

I'm not really concerned about your multi-dog household at all. Just some facts to consider :)

If you are only interested in talking with other Presa owners you may want to check out this list: http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/PresaCanario/

I would expect any responsible breeders you talk to will want to make certain you have a plan for if your dogs can't all be kept together, along with a lot of other questions. They won't be trying to pick on you or discourage you from the breeds you like but trying to ensure that the dog can work out long term.

• Gold Top Dog

this might be difficult, given bad press and money makers... plus they seem a bit rare. at least they are where i live, last time i checked.... i have only seen two Canarios.. one was a puppy in a pet shop located in the Tallahassee Mall.. the other was strolling through petsmart with his human equivalent. (seriously this guy was built like Michael Clark Duncan!) i wondered if the dog was the same as i had seen in the pet shop all those years ago.

i think they're awesome dogs personally. i dont think i would ever be in a position to own one however. that one is a bit over the bar for me lol BUT the dog in Petsmart was very very well behaved and polite! his head came up to my sternum! 

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks for the comments guys... but we have decided to go with our other choice anyways (which we knew several breeders for hence why i didnt post on here) and have placed the deposit on another Tibetan Mastiff puppy :)  They are 8 days old right now, so will be several weeks before he comes home.