Thoughts on Standard Poodles?

• Gold Top Dog

Thoughts on Standard Poodles?

Hey guys, this is a question to anyone who has owned or is currently owning any standard poodles. I do not plan on getting one now, but I would love to get one at some point. What are the pros and cons of owning one? I know they require a lot of grooming and some people don't like that, though I wouldn't mind. Do you think they'd do okay in condo living if they are giving enough exercise? Also, does anyone know of any poodle rescues on Long Island or in New York? I'd rather adopt one than buy one from a breeder. :-/

• Gold Top Dog

I have never had a Poodle but have always like Standards. The grooming is usually an issue because most people take them to professional groomers every 6-8 weeks. So that is a lot more of an expense than a breed which doesn't require professional grooming. The breed also has a lot of potential health issues, many autoimmune related. I would not want one which has been excessively vaccinate, spayed/neutered young or carelessly medicated since that can all contribute to autoimmune issues. Bloat is also a real concern with the breed.

There is nothing wrong with buying a dog from a breeder. Buying from the right breeder can tip the odds of having a healthy, sound dog in your favor. There is nothing wrong with getting a rescue either of course and you'll find people involved in breed rescue that also breed Poodles. The Poodle Club of America is a good resource to start with - they have info on health, breeders and rescues: http://www.poodleclubofamerica.org/ 

• Gold Top Dog

Agile gave some really good info, particularly about the health concerns. I have never personally owed one, but had the pleasure of meeting several. I have found them to be friendly, fun dogs. I love them, but would never own one due to grooming needs (and I used to be a groomer!). But, I prefer low maintenance dogs in terms of grooming needs - since I do my own and really just like easy baths, nail clippings and maybe needing to run a brush through once in awhile Stick out tongue  If your not doing your own grooming, the cost can add up quickly for professional grooming.

The health concerns are there, like Agile mentioned. Really do your own research to make sure your comfortable with them. For instance, Ari's breed is relatively healthy, but cancer hitting them young and hard is very prevalent. If you do go through a breeder, you have the added benefit of seeing the lines they came from. Not a guarantee of health per say, but it's nice to know. 

I currently live in a condo with a 60 lbs. retriever. I don't have a fenced in yard. This is completely doable, but it does require some work at times to get the exercise in (particularly before your dog is solid on recall if you want any off leash time). I find living space factors in less, if you get the required exercise in. When Ari's in the house, we usually just play with a tug toy or we do toss a toy around (we have a fairly long area as out kitchen, dining area and "living room" are all connected and open in concept. When she's relaxing, she typically snuggles up to one of us or she has this favorite corner in the living room she goes to. We're not tripping over her by any means (unless she's trying to trip us!)

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks for the info and advice guys! I guess I'm just used to adoption that I feel a bit weird about actually going to a breeder. Plus I've never owned a pure-bred before. Though you make a point that going to a good breeder can be a good thing. I plan on doing a lot of research and if I ever do get one I'd like to learn how to groom them myself since I know it can cost a lot to get them groomed. They're just so gorgeous looking and I know my dad would love to have another standard as that was his first dog he ever owned a long time ago.

• Gold Top Dog

You can also compete in AKC Hunt Tests with a Standard Poodle.  I've been wanting a black Standard for just this purpose ever since the AKC recognized that they are more than just a pretty face. lol

• Gold Top Dog

Even if you decide not to go with a breeder, I would reach out to them to talk more about their breed. They would be a wealth of information and I'm sure a breeder out there would be happy to talk to you about them.

• Gold Top Dog

the_gopher

Even if you decide not to go with a breeder, I would reach out to them to talk more about their breed. They would be a wealth of information and I'm sure a breeder out there would be happy to talk to you about them.

That is very true! Good idea.

• Gold Top Dog

Grooming one yourself is a BIG undertaking, and still expensive. They are not easy keepers. You will need high end equipment, to deal with the undercoat and density of coat.

They're fabulous, wonderful, BRILLIANT dogs. I'd love to have one, but as a groomer, I don't want to deal with the maintenance. I'd want to keep hair on the dog, and that is work. I know it'd end up shaved nakie, and I'd be unhappy with that.

• Gold Top Dog

I really like standard poodles!  I like the look, & the fact that they are soooo smart.  I think that it would be a blast to have one to do obedience work, as well as hunting with.

When I started researching breeds, around seven years ago, I narrowed my choices down to Dobes, Weims, or Standard Poodles.  The only reason that I didn't pursue it further was because I was afraid of the grooming requirements.  Now, after owning Angel & all of her funky hair, I don't fear the grooming.  I know that I'd keep it cut short, & it's no big deal to me.

• Gold Top Dog

jennie_c_d

Grooming one yourself is a BIG undertaking, and still expensive. They are not easy keepers. You will need high end equipment, to deal with the undercoat and density of coat.

They're fabulous, wonderful, BRILLIANT dogs. I'd love to have one, but as a groomer, I don't want to deal with the maintenance. I'd want to keep hair on the dog, and that is work. I know it'd end up shaved nakie, and I'd be unhappy with that.

That is true. Though, I went to an animal science class and we did grooming for like 10 dollars at most and most of the groomers are really good. So if I do ever get one, I could go there. I'd stick with a simple puppy cut as I like that look the best. 

• Gold Top Dog

I've had two, as weekly clients, where I work as a dog walker. One has since passed away (run free, Randy!!) and one I see every weekend. Both have awesome temperments, very sweet but not 'clingy', and smart as whips!

• Gold Top Dog

Do be careful wherever you end up getting a Standard from - the two I have in classes right now are both quite "spooky" with new things or sudden environmental changes.  One is a shelter pup, but the other is a dog from a breeder.

• Gold Top Dog

stardog85

Do be careful wherever you end up getting a Standard from - the two I have in classes right now are both quite "spooky" with new things or sudden environmental changes.  One is a shelter pup, but the other is a dog from a breeder.

Aw poor pups. You're a trainer? 

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

You might look into the field bred.  Dogs bred to hunt, where health is given a lot of consideration.  They are actually excellent field dogs.  The funny hair cuts actually come from trying to get a compromise between looks and function.

• Gold Top Dog

Yes I teach basic obedience classes and do private behavior consults.  Currently one pup is in my adolescent class (she's 8mo) and the other graduated a while back - she's about a year old.  With people they know both dogs are great, but with strangers they are much more cautious.  The local poodle rescue also seems to get a lot of shy dogs, but that could very well be due to lack of socialization - both of the dogs I know from classes were acquired as pups and socialized normally.